Dragon age discussion

Gorth

Everyone seems to start a mage at the second playthrough. Those who played mage the first time don't count.

So Gorth, why did the dragon cross the road?

am going through as a rogue. am curious to see if cunning makes serious differences in dialogues (not much so far) and am also so disappointed with available rogues that making our own seems like ideal solution. that being said, for people who respec'd their jnpcs, we can see why mage would be the obvious choice on a second playthrough.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Everyone seems to start a mage at the second playthrough. Those who played mage the first time don't count.

am going through as a rogue. am curious to see if cunning makes serious differences in dialogues (not much so far) and am also so disappointed with available rogues that making our own seems like ideal solution. that being said, for people who respec'd their jnpcs, we can see why mage would be the obvious choice on a second playthrough.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm playing a rogue! Master of Coercion gives some very nice options on how to handle some sticky boss situations that nobody else has. So far I think that Cunning has more to do with rogue skills like lockpicking than dialogue. I am a master lockpick, and I still run into chests I can't open... so I think my Cunning score (at 29) must be the reason. I'm still really having fun with her. She's a backstabbing little scrapper who deals DPS like nobody's business. With her in the party, a second tank really isn't needed for most fights.

BTW, how does one "respec" our companions? I don't know how to do that.

Good question. Maybe observering the dragon crossing the road was what caused to do it in the first place (cf. "Schroedingers Dragon")?

So, I found out what is causing Sten's anger management problems. Not sure if I am supposed to be hunting around for the starting location of the solution yet or if it will come to me in time. In the meantime, time to decide whether to go to Redclif, Denerim or the elf infested forest...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Cunning does very little for dialogue, yes. Persuade and intimidate options are aplenty, however.

Respec = look for mods, a few out by now.

Cunning does very little for dialogue, yes. Persuade and intimidate options are aplenty, however.

we were thinking that it seemed odd that a high strength character would get the most dialogue options... 'cause with four levels o' coercion we got persuades and intimidates. we were hopeful that by raising cunning we would get some other kinda option... but seems to just be persuade and intimidate, and our 18 cunning warrior didn't seem to get less than our 11th level rogue with 28 cunning. am gonna continue pushing cunning for other reasons, but we were hopeful for more dialogue payoffs.

am always wary 'bout using dialogue to avoid battles as bio (and other developers) seems to like to penalize players for doing so: reward less 1007 and less exp too. however, am pretty sure there were actual a couple dialogue detours that netted us additional exp, so that ain't so bad.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

IIRC, Cunning affects dialogue in that, if you had enough of it, you wouldn't need the Coercion skill.

huh?

so a rogue taking coercion is wasted?

mother puss bucket...

&%$#

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

That's possible but I don't know for sure. I believe some of the later game skill checks end up becoming quite high.

EDIT: It will also still enable the rogue to use intimidate skill checks, as I think cunning affects persuade, strength affects intimidate.

Edited by alanschu

we were thinking that it seemed odd that a high strength character would get the most dialogue options... 'cause with four levels o' coercion we got persuades and intimidates. we were hopeful that by raising cunning we would get some other kinda option... but seems to just be persuade and intimidate, and our 18 cunning warrior didn't seem to get less than our 11th level rogue with 28 cunning. am gonna continue pushing cunning for other reasons, but we were hopeful for more dialogue payoffs.

am always wary 'bout using dialogue to avoid battles as bio (and other developers) seems to like to penalize players for doing so: reward less 1007 and less exp too. however, am pretty sure there were actual a couple dialogue detours that netted us additional exp, so that ain't so bad.

HA! Good Fun!

Seduce would have been a awsome option to have. Look to Bloodlines for IMO CRPG dialog done right.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Seduce would have been a awsome option to have. Look to Bloodlines for IMO CRPG dialog done right.

Seduce would be pretty lame. It worked in Bloodlines because teh secksayness is something of a vamp genre convention. But even then, getting enough seduction options into the game to put it on par with the other dialogue skills in usefulness felt forced. In a more traditional fantasy genre, it would be laughably forced.

am beginning to see reasons why bio kept the da rules hidden. coherency & rationality o' bioware's rules is on par with fallout 3 combat mechanics: fun enough to play, but best left unseen.

*groan*

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

The problem with Bloodlines is that virtually every character is a bisexual, as long as you had appropriate seduction skill. I just introduced a friend of mine to the game and played it again myself, and while the dialogue is well done, the seduction ones were probably the weakest of them.

Though persuade, intimidate, malkavian, and domination options were all typically quite well done.

So how are gonna they make a sequel for this game with so many possible endings? Will Bioware just arbitrarily choose an ending for us? Or will the game take place far away from Ferelden like the Tevinter Imperium? I seem to remember reading that the origins will be expanded upon in future games, but that could be my imagination.

So how are gonna they make a sequel for this game with so many possible endings?

Could be either or. I suspect any sequels that continue along this story line would probably be a bit like Mass Effect 2, in that party members from DA1 wouldn't be party members in DA2 just to limit the amount of options for potential party members.

The problem with Bloodlines is that virtually every character is a bisexual, as long as you had appropriate seduction skill. I just introduced a friend of mine to the game and played it again myself, and while the dialogue is well done, the seduction ones were probably the weakest of them.

Though persuade, intimidate, malkavian, and domination options were all typically quite well done.

The seduction line at the Santa Monica beach as a male malkavian was hilarious though.

- Let me in pretty boy and you can bury me in the sand later.

- Uggghh...just...just go in...

:)

So how are gonna they make a sequel for this game with so many possible endings? Will Bioware just arbitrarily choose an ending for us? Or will the game take place far away from Ferelden like the Tevinter Imperium? I seem to remember reading that the origins will be expanded upon in future games, but that could be my imagination.
Probably like ME 2?

dunno, but with our particular chosen ending it would be tough to meaningful expand on the origin. were kinda dead-end, if you know what we mean.

HA! Good Fun!

Actually I wouldn't mind my character being whisked away to the one of the other nations in Thedas after being ambushed or something.....wait that's BG2.

Well, at least then the devs won't have to worry too much about whatever political outcomes in Ferelden too much. They could just have the major triggers like who is King in Ferelden, Orzammar etc.

I always thought it was silly how many people cry about the sequel transition thing, actually. "Why are you choosing an ending for me?!" Well how else are they going to make a bloody game? "Why can't you accommodate different choices in the previous game?" Doing that with a large number of choices is the fastest path to making those choices meaningless. There's only 3 realistic ways to create a sequel in this situation. (1) just pick an 'optimal ending' and run with a single version; (2) set the sequel far far away; (3) try to accommodate player choice by making it all not matter very much (did you save the mages or not in the first game? Well, having proper ramifications to your choice will involve a huge amount of game reworking, so we'll just acknowledge your choice but it won't really do much.) It's just not realistic to expect more.

Sorry to say to the people that had

there PC die

, but your going to disappointed if there is a sequel. At some point the writers have to decide a course to take, to continue the story and

your PC being dead doesn't allow the story to continue. Unless of course they have you resurrected by the 'maker'. :x

The sad thing is people want the next PC to be the 'God' child. :) Talk about the most boring outcome for the story to take.

Edited by Tigranes
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

If they allow you to continue with the same character, it's going to feel very weird. I mean we're getting to level 20ish as it is, which means we're maxing out pretty much all relevant talents, and then some. So keeping the same character in a second game would mean they'd have to invent really epic stuff to keep the same feel of progression.

So it'd have to work along the lines of ToB or MotB. Those worked because they were expansions and thus fairly short (in comparison). By the end of those I had lost all sense of my character actually improving, I was just ppicking high level abilities because I had to more or less. So I hope a sequel will be with a new main character and in another country.

The sad thing is people want the next PC to be the 'God' child. :) Talk about the most boring outcome for the story to take.

I don't know would that be so bad.

And it's no that the "Old God" dragons were gods like we understand the word, they are just powerful beast.

If done right it might be pretty cool. I personally like a lot more the BG2 way of story, where there is actually a reason why you can whack 1000 bad guys to peaces, including the humongous extrabadguy and be the last man standing. And Bio scrapped the Conan style during develpment anyway and went back to D&D way, so why not.

I don't know would that be so bad.

And it's no that the "Old God" dragons were gods like we understand the word, they are just powerful beast.

If done right it might be pretty cool. I personally like a lot more the BG2 way of story, where there is actually a reason why you can whack 1000 bad guys to peaces, including the humongous extrabadguy and be the last man standing. And Bio scrapped the Conan style during develpment anyway and went back to D&D way, so why not.

But I've played that game to already. If they that badly want to use the child that way, far better to use it as an NPC that's as (if not more) important as the PC to the story. Have the PC be the person that can influence him/her into want they want. (ex: Palpatine, Merlin)

cylon_basestar_eye.gif