Secret copyright treaty leaked

Lare Kikkeli

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/03/secre...yright-tre.html

never heard of boinboing.net before, but lets assume for the sake of argument this is true. this will probably be the end of internet as we know it. good or bad? i personally would probably not miss many of the aspects internet has. i dont know, i might even prefer a life without internet.

* That ISPs have to proactively police copyright on user-contributed material. This means that it will be impossible to run a service like Flickr or YouTube or Blogger, since hiring enough lawyers to ensure that the mountain of material uploaded every second isn't infringing will exceed any hope of profitability.

this would also mean the end of smaller isp's. i would end up missing youtube, probably, but the rest of social media sites doesn't really appeal to me.

* That ISPs have to cut off the Internet access of accused copyright infringers or face liability. This means that your entire family could be denied to the internet -- and hence to civic participation, health information, education, communications, and their means of earning a living -- if one member is accused of copyright infringement, without access to a trial or counsel.

this violates civil rights (and the constitution i guess?). i'll be surprised if they can force this through in the EU. finland actually has a law now that says that the internet is a basic human need like food or shelter. maybe we'll get finnternet?

* That the whole world must adopt US-style "notice-and-takedown" rules that require ISPs to remove any material that is accused -- again, without evidence or trial -- of infringing copyright. This has proved a disaster in the US and other countries, where it provides an easy means of censoring material, just by accusing it of infringing copyright.

see above. this in my view would mean the end of internet as a single worldwide network. we'd get many smaller networks with different rules.

* Mandatory prohibitions on breaking DRM, even if doing so for a lawful purpose (e.g., to make a work available to disabled people; for archival preservation; because you own the copyrighted work that is locked up with DRM)

isn't this illegal already? anyway this would be impossible to enforce so why bother? the cost would be far greater than what they'd make in fines, mandatory or no.

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

All information should be free, but it is not. Information is power and currency in the World Wide Web. Those who control the information controls the hearts and minds of the population. Welcome to a taste of what is to come.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

How democratic.
The European Commission is in on it. What did you expect?

**** won't fly, btw.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. No national court in the EU, and certainly not the European court will enforce it by the current standards.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

^ exactly my thoughts.. I'm not worried about this and as a bonus it'll expose the douchbags who thought it up so we can order the hitmen to take 'em out.. for the sake of liberty of course!

Fortune favors the bald.

I have to say that the Finnish move struck me as almost risible in light of the multifarious genuine human rights being abused around the world.

I don't wish to sound complacent about this move, but being denied a paid service rarely requires a court case. If a bar doesn't like the look of you, out you go. If your manners aren't up to scratch, bye bye restaurant. I've seen a man thrown out of a movie theatre for smelling too much. So don't kid yourself about this being struck down in court.

It DOES bother me that the same shiftless bastards who fail to fix tech-support issues will be marking me down as law abiding or not. I wouldn't trust them to adjudicate a lightswitch.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, I guess that supports my prediction that the big political issue of this century will be the one of free information. I know which side I'm on :)

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Google control all information in the known universe, so in a fight against the collective governments of the world, Google will emerge victorious. And I for one welcome our new Googly overlords.

Earth shall be named Googlearth - and there will be peace..

The proud people of Goomerica, Gurope, Gasia, even the South Goole, in fact every Googlean on Googlearth, will be happy..

I think I would like this future..

Fortune favors the bald.

It's certainly preferable to living an iLife

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Google control all information in the known universe, so in a fight against the collective governments of the world, Google will emerge victorious. And I for one welcome our new Googly overlords.

Earth shall be named Googlearth - and there will be peace..

The proud people of Goomerica, Gurope, Gasia, even the South Goole, in fact every Googlean on Googlearth, will be happy..

I think I would like this future..

gasia sounds like gay-sia lol

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I for one welcome our new Goverlords.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.