What Are You Playing Now?

:lol:

Here is a good example of story in a sports game. You attend school and have real tests :)

Create your own prospect, compete in your high school playoffs, and attend signing day to become the next big thing in college football. NCAA Football campus legend mode lets you take control of your favorite position player, attend practices, complete events (do you play in a pick up basketball game or stay home and do your classwork?), and finally compete in your team's college schedule. This section provides some tips on becoming the next campus legend.

* Character creation is your first decision in campus legend. Do you want to be a scrambling quarterback or pocket passer? How about speed running back or a power running back? Or forget offense completely and play on the defensive side of the ball, as a lineman, linebacker, cornerback, or safety? Consider your choices carefully, especially concerning the skills of your player. A power back will have greater break tackle and trucking abilities but lack outside speed. You won't have control over play-calling, though the AI seems to mix inside and outside runs. Create your character's size, look, and background before venturing into your high school state playoffs.

* Campus Legend is unique because gameplay is focused on your character. If you've chosen to play a running back, the camera sits just behind your player. You'll spot the offensive linemen opening holes (hopefully!) and must navigate through them. Not much different than the actual gameplay camera. However, choosing a position such as a wide receiver or cornerback offers a unique experience.

* One of the Xbox 360 achievements is creating a 5-star prospect. After each high school playoff game, your game statistics are presented along with a notification of which college scouts attended the game. A star rating at the top reveals your caliber. The greater the stars, the more college scholarships you will be offered (and generally better potential playing time). Game performance determines your rating. Make big plays, rack up yardage, and impress the scouts. Capitalize on your opportunities. You must win your state championship and if these conditions are met, you may become the 5-star prospect.

Campus Legend mode lets you build a college superstar from the ground up. The Legend Meter tracks your status.

* After the high school playoffs, it's off to signing day. Scan the list of college scholarship offers. These reveal where you will fit in with the team. At some of the top 25 schools you may be 4th or 5th deep on the depth chart and have to work your way up to see playing time. At smaller schools, you may be 2nd string or game ready immediately. Your play at practice determines how quickly you move up the depth chart. Frankly, it's not that difficult to rise through the ranks, especially if you're a player on offense. Score a couple touchdowns in practice and it won't be long before you're starting. Defense is much tougher because it's harder to stand out. Choose your prospective school with this in mind.

* The "Legend Meter" tracks your progress throughout your career. One of the 360 achievements is to completely fill the meter. A variety of accomplishments affect the meter, including defeating a rival, winning a championship, remaining at school for your senior year instead of going pro, popularity, and winning the Heisman trophy or other awards.

Tip: Standard gameplay tips are certainly relevant during campus legend games. As a receiver, use the catch button to better grab the ball. Monitor your player motivation status as well as the motivation of player's around you (for instance, offensive linemen if you're a running back—who's blocking in the zone?). As a running back or receiver, follow play design. A running back can catch a lot of passes by scampering into the flat and calling for the ball. Know your player's abilities and best special moves for avoiding (and plowing through) would-be tacklers downfield).

* Remember controlling your campus legend is up to you! If you're a receiver, you will be responsible for running routes, getting open (press the "A" on 360 to call for the ball), and evading defenders to the end zone. But you will also be responsible for making blocks to help out the running game. On defense you must be aware of your assignment—are you in man coverage or responsible for a zone? Use strafe to backpedal as a cover corner. This is one of the most challenging positions in Campus Legend. Try baiting the opposing quarterback into throwing your way…just be ready to make the pick!

* In Campus Legend, you have no control over play-calling. You may believe the situation calls for a run but the coach has sent out a passing play. Infuriatingly, the coach has sent out that same passing play that hasn't worked yet! Furthermore, unless you're the quarterback you have no control over clock management or, unfortunately, how poor your signal caller plays the game. And if you're a Campus Legend on offense, you'll have to sit back and watch your defense get shredded and waste a big lead in the fourth quarter. Or your kicker misses a chip shot to tie the game! You have no control over these things, just as you would if you were a real player. It can be both exciting and frustrating.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6175968/p-20.html

Edited by Kelverin

Now if someone actually did that for racing games, I'd be interested.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

In Modern Warfare 2 I get to take on the role of a bunch of soldiers in a bad Tom Clancy Novel and do things I can't do in real life.

Modern Warfare 2 = RPG confirmed!

Actually Modern Warfare has adopted some RPG elements by allowing you to level and gain special abilities. But it still lags behind a game like Dues Ex, which has shooter elements, but relies more heavily on character progression and choice & consequences.

Actually Modern Warfare has adopted some RPG elements by allowing you to level and gain special abilities. But it still lags behind a game like Dues Ex, which has shooter elements, but relies more heavily on character progression and choice & consequences.

Only in the multiplayer mode, so you could say it adopted some MMORPG elements :lol:

All of which has nothing at all to do with Deus Ex.

Only in the multiplayer mode, so you could say it adopted some MMORPG elements :lol:

Ah good point, so it really isn't an RPG then.

Oh wait, you are the one who claimed it was.

Here is something to make you feel better:

tn_cat-horror.jpg

Only in the multiplayer mode, so you could say it adopted some MMORPG elements :)

tn_cat-horror.jpg

I was mocking your previous argument.

Nice trap, though. I admit my defeat, you can have all my internets.

Uncharted

Uncharted 2

Infamous

Metal gear (if you're into that)

FFXIII (you just know it's going to be better as it's native to the PS3)

God of War 3

Ratchet and Clank...

Although I own myself a PS3 and think it's a terrific concole, I only consider MGS4 to be a must-have in that list. Uncharted, while entertaining, is not the kind of game I'd get a PS3 for.

What I'm really looking forward however are HEAVY RAIN and AGENT. That's where the PS3 will shine.

Uncharted 2 is though. And Demon's souls as well.

For two games? No.

Heh. No. They might be good -I wouldn't know as I haven't played them- but I'm sure they're not that good. sleeping.gif

you couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Only in the multiplayer mode, so you could say it adopted some MMORPG elements :)

tn_cat-horror.jpg

I was mocking your previous argument.

Nice trap, though. I admit my defeat, you can have all my internets.

Excellent! Although your picture kung fu is still better than mine, that little cat wasn't quite what I hoped for.

You guys are nothing compared to 4chan.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ah the joys of forum threads when they sideline into the arguments over what games are RPG and what aren't...

to add gasoline or not.. o:)

Next thing you know there'll be discussions of Jedi Truths...

:ermm:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

midichlorians ftw

no wait...

someone punch GLucas in the balls

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Halo is an RPG.

There, I said it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

the day mlb 09 wins best rpg of 09 will be the day i eat my hat

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

the day mlb 09 wins best rpg of 09 will be the day i eat my hat

I don't remember throwing it in the RPG genre, I just stated that it had fantastic RPG elements. It is, of course, a sports game at the most basic definition.

Where does Blood Bowl fit, anyways?

I've played MLB 09 The Show more than anything so far on the PS3, and that is an exclusive title.

You and I are most likely the only ones around here that care about sports titles.

I'd care about baseball titles, if I found one I actually liked. Most of the ones I've tried are largely a bunch of stats windows for team management stuff, and that's not what I'm interested in. I want to control players and hit the baseball. :D

....still playing Divine. I hit a snag where the game seemed to randomly crash a lot, but I think it was a combo of too many savegames and trying to use a higher resolution than the seeming gog preference default of 1024x768.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i like wii baseball.

i actually plan on buying mlb 09 because of positive word of mouth. though i dislike baseball, i like good video games

I just finished Final Fantasy VII, bred my own Gold Chocobo and all, that was a blast winning the S rank races. I could not kill all the other Weapons, ugh... too much power-gaming to do that. It was interesting while playing, RPG mechanics that were present in it that are still missing from modern AAA RPG's today. Sad.

Now playing Final Fantasy VIII on my good old PS2..... except I forgot you HAVE to have an old PS1 memory card to save with it.... ugh. Off to this one store tomorrow to get one or two. Volo *highly* praises this game for music and story, and while I know Volo is.... welll Volo.... I guess I'll see why he places this on his top 10 list of RPG's. I must say the music I have heard so far was quite nice... untill I found out I could not save. heh