Modern Warfare 2 PC will not have dedicated servers

Deraldin

Greed is good?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Not good. The reason we still play Q3 and not Quake Live is that you want to be able to have your own server where just you and your friends can play using whatever mods and stuff you want.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That's just another way from Bobby Kotick to say "Don't buy the PC version, go for the console version!". Something along those lines.

How is he saying that?

Granted the PC version just got less superior but that doesnt change the real reason for playing an FPS on a PC compared to on a console: the controls.

But they're basicly killing LAN parties, which is a damn shame.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've never been to a LAN-party without Internet access. Have you?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Only once, but thats no guarantee it will work. Theres always problems with accounts and NAT and all kinds of crap. Not to mention you get massive lag if you have to run through a server somewhere else.

I have.

Heja Sverige!!

Ah, consoles, thanks again.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't what this implies. More lag?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The whole multiplayer is totally dependent on Infinity Ward's servers, unlike say TF2 which lets everyone who wants run their own servers.

In the end it means that they alone will have to be able to deal with the server load and they can shut MW2's multiplayer down.(if MW3 comes out and they want people to migrate for example)

Fantastic. We should start a boycott.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It sounds a bit nutty in a paranoid way, but I'd call this a deliberate attack on PC gaming.

Heja Sverige!!

All they really stop is those people at LAN who doesnt like the game enough to buy it, so they use a pirated version instead. With this system, you cant play multiplayer with pirated copies. So, they piss off alot of people like me by taking away our option to run our own servers, in order to get at people who wouldnt buy the game in the first place.

Might I add that its vital to be able to configure the server in MW yourself, since there are alot of perks and specials that can completely ruin the game. With COD4, you can remove things like the helicopter(or limit its health so it can be shot down) and weapons that are exploitable (like the g3 which can be fired at full auto if youre a fast clicker). If you lock all that down, you're frakked until IF decide to fix patch it away(which they wont).

They are not fighting piracy, they just want everyone playing on a console to maximize profits.

Heja Sverige!!

So that they can slowly turn PC gamers into console gamers. Like by removing dedicated servers which not only turns the PC experience into a worse experience right off the bat, but also limits the ability of the players to run mods and custom maps in multiplayer. It's all about the long term consequences.

Heja Sverige!!

Oh, get out of here!

PC sales were a fraction of MW's sales. They don't have some evil secret scheme to turn PC gamers into console gamers. They are doing what they can to cut the costs of the PC port by making it as close to the console version as possible.

Since the large majority of people will play it on the console why waste time and resources to make the PC version special. It's just a way to sell a few more units.