Interplay Strikes Back

Masterfade

Interplay > Bethesda

Interplay (10 years ago) > Bethesda

But, really, Interplay has as big a chance in taking back the Fallout IP as Russians have in getting back Alaska. So those points are all pretty moot.

This. Even if IPLAY won, nothing good would come of it. It's still Herve Caen's "IPLAY in name only."

...Herve shoud be drug out, shot, an' p*ssed on; nuff said... :bat:

...in the end, hardly matters, though; New Vegas will go on... :p

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I'm not really sure where Bethesda is being evil, as some folks have put forth. I understand when folks call EA and Activision 'evil' even if I don't always agree. But exactly what action put Bethesda in the 'evil' camp again? Was it when they took a dead IP and crafted it in their own style of game and made it very successful? Was it the radiant AI?

I'd say at worst Bethesda has questionable design decisions and bad writing, but 'evil' seems a tad over reactionary.

... , apparently a stockholder of Interplay, ...

:p

At least that's one accomplishment, they actually got someone to invest in interplay.

For some reason, I can surprisingly keep a straight face at the mention of this.

I'm not really sure where Bethesda is being evil, as some folks have put forth. I understand when folks call EA and Activision 'evil' even if I don't always agree. But exactly what action put Bethesda in the 'evil' camp again? Was it when they took a dead IP and crafted it in their own style of game and made it very successful? Was it the radiant AI?

I'd say at worst Bethesda has questionable design decisions and bad writing, but 'evil' seems a tad over reactionary.

If I remember right, at one point Bethesda and Troika were both bidding for the rights to make Fallout3. Had Troika won, then obviously the original team would have made the game, which would have pleased the old school fans to no end. The design would have been different... maybe even isometric turn based.

That is why Bethesda is evil to some eyes.

At least that's one accomplishment, they actually got someone to invest in interplay.

For some reason, I can surprisingly keep a straight face at the mention of this.

Well, it is only 6 cents per share right now.

I thought a company couldn't be publicly traded/listed on the stock market if their share value was under $1.

Edited by Syraxis

Well, it is only 6 cents per share right now.

I thought a company couldn't be publicly traded/listed on the stock market if their share value was under $1.

That's if you want to be listed on one of the major exchanges like the NYSE or NASDAQ. IPLY is an over the counter stock.

You were the first person in this thread to refer to Bethesda as evil. Maybe you need better reading comprehension? :thumbsup:

Now if you want to actually discuss the issue in an honest manner instead of using extreme language... no, a lot of people don't like Bethesda because of their bad gameplay experiences with Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 as well as Bethesda's handling of Fallout 3's development (their PR just as much as their 'development' of the setting).

For every person who dislikes Bethesda or Fallout 3 that comes from somewhere like NMA or the Codex, you'll find someone else who's just a normal gamer and is completely unaffiliated with such sites.

Also, VERY, VERY interesting is that Interplay is COUNTERSUING Bethesda. Interplay said that they did disclose the Glutton Creeper deal with Bethesda and Bethesda suddenly terminated the deal with Glutton, which resulted in Glutton suing Interplay. Interplay wants that money back that they had to pay Glutton and legal fees from this.

Hilarious. I didn't know that.

Glutton Creeper had been working on a pencil-n-paper version of Fallout and Bethesda killed it.

Fortunately they did. The Glutton Creeper Fallout d20 was just hilariously bad. You should have seen the fragments they published. And they themselves tried to kill a fan-made Fallout d20 PnP RPG project, so they absolutely had it coming.

Actually Deraldin referred to is as the lesser of two evils.

No. Reading comprehension, Hurlshot! Geez.

Deraldin said (in a manner which implies he doesn't really care much either way and is simply explaining the stance of people who support Interplay over Bethesda): "I think it's less "Interplay is awesome" than "Interplay is the lesser of two evils"."

Now, when someone says "x is the lesser of two evils", they almost universally don't mean that x is evil. This is because "the lesser of two evils" is an idiom that means "the least bad choice of two bad choices".

Deraldin clearly wasn't calling Bethesda evil.

You bashed Bethesda, but called Interplay the devil incarnate.

Because I was oh so serious when I called Interplay the devil incarnate, right? I mean, you can tell I really, truly believe that Interplay will bring on the apocalypse and rain down fire and brimstone on Earth at the end of days. It couldn't possibly have been a jocular hyperbole? No!

Even so, it was Interplay I was calling the devil, not Bethesda! :thumbsup:

But heck yes I bashed Bethesda. Does that bother you?

What exactly is your point again?

My point is that you should either read threads more carefully, or not try to paint other peoples's views as extremist by putting words in their mouth when you disagree.

Edited by Krezack

You didn't direct that at me but I'll respond all the same. :thumbsup:

How many Bethesda titles have you played, anyways?

– The Elder Scrolls: Arena

– The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

– The Elder Scrolls Legends: Battlespire

– The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard

– The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

–-- The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal

–-- The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon

– The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

–-- The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine

–-- The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles

- Fallout 3

–-- Operation: Anchorage

–-- The Pitt

–-- Broken Steel

–-- Point Lookout

–-- Mothership Zeta

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

There's really 2 Bethesdas though. The Pre and Post Morrowind Bethesdas with MW itself acting as sort of a transition point. Although MW has more in common with the older Beth than the new one.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There's really 2 Bethesdas though. The Pre and Post Morrowind Bethesdas with MW itself acting as sort of a transition point.

Don't people often cite Todd Howard's rise to power as one of the other key points splitting the "two" companies? I'm not sure if that if correct or not, but it is one thing that is often brought up. :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

You didn't direct that at me but I'll respond all the same. :thumbsup:

How many Bethesda titles have you played, anyways?

– The Elder Scrolls: Arena

– The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

– The Elder Scrolls Legends: Battlespire

– The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard

– The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

–-- The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal

–-- The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon

– The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

–-- The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine

–-- The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles

- Fallout 3

–-- Operation: Anchorage

–-- The Pitt

–-- Broken Steel

–-- Point Lookout

–-- Mothership Zeta

I thought you hated Bethesda?

I don't get why someone would back Interplay over Bethesda, Interplay are dead and can do nothing with FO, Bethesda on the other hand are the biggest wrpg dev and could possibly make an excellent FO. (That's if your like me and thought FO3 was just good.) Add to the fact that Bethesda asked Obsidian to make NV, I don't think you could ask for a better dev then Beth to have the rights to FO.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Don't people often cite Todd Howard's rise to power as one of the other key points splitting the "two" companies? I'm not sure if that if correct or not, but it is one thing that is often brought up. :lol:

He was the project lead of Morrowind & Redguard. You don't hear many people whining about those games, compared to Oblivion & Fallout 3. He contributed to every Bethesda title from the very beginning, even. :thumbsup:

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Fortunately they did. The Glutton Creeper Fallout d20 was just hilariously bad. You should have seen the fragments they published. And they themselves tried to kill a fan-made Fallout d20 PnP RPG project, so they absolutely had it coming.
Ugh, I'd rather stay with the d100 Fallout PnP.

I don't get why someone would back Interplay over Bethesda, Interplay are dead and can do nothing with FO, Bethesda on the other hand are the biggest wrpg dev and could possibly make an excellent FO. (That's if your like me and thought FO3 was just good.) Add to the fact that Bethesda asked Obsidian to make NV, I don't think you could ask for a better dev then Beth to have the rights to FO.

You could - Obsidian. ;)

You could - Obsidian. ;)

Even in the unlikely event Obsidian manages to outbid anyone else and secure the IP, Obz is still not a publisher, and probably won't be able/unwilling to self-fund an AAA title (let along self-publish). So in the end it's still subject to publisher's demands & supervisions. I failed to see the benefit of having a Obsidian-owned Fallout IP if that means Sega/Activision/THQ will have the final say in the new games.

Edited by Masterfade