Interplay Strikes Back

Masterfade

Because I was oh so serious when I called Interplay the devil incarnate, right? I mean, you can tell I really, truly believe that Interplay will bring on the apocalypse and rain down fire and brimstone on Earth at the end of days. It couldn't possibly have been a jocular hyperbole? No!

Because sarcasm is very obvious on the Internet, right? Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you were deadly serious when you posted that. You need only take a look at the likes of Volourn or Visceris to see why.

I thought you hated Bethesda?

I do. :lol:

Beth must enjoy having haters like you. Hell you've probably played more of their games then a lot of their fanboys. :lol:

...could possibly make an excellent FO.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stranger things have happened.

You could - Obsidian.

What fade said, but you could also do much worse then Beth. You got Activision, THQ and god forbid Square Enix.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

interplay is, apparently, just throwing the most extreme argument they can come up with into the meatgrinder in hopes of ending up with a settlement slushy that doesnt leave them worse off than they were before beth sued them.

it's pretty unlikely a court will render void the ENTIRE contract for the sale of the IP. it's just too extreme, all this really does is give some more ammo to their settlement negotiations, but as someone smart said earlier, they are going to drown in legal fees if they don't hammer this out soon.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

interplay is, apparently, just throwing the most extreme argument they can come up with into the meatgrinder in hopes of ending up with a settlement slushy that doesnt leave them worse off than they were before beth sued them.

it's pretty unlikely a court will render void the ENTIRE contract for the sale of the IP. it's just too extreme, all this really does is give some more ammo to their settlement negotiations, but as someone smart said earlier, they are going to drown in legal fees if they don't hammer this out soon.

Yeah, I find Interplay's tactics this time to be a bit too extreme. Don't know how Beth will react, but entering a out-of-court settlement with a company trying to rescind its last contract with you under some fairly shady arguments is, to my way of thinking, just begging for more trouble.

Interplay just needs to die already. Herve Caen mismanaged that company to death. Fallout 3 wasn't even made for the NMA guys nor the COdex people so why should they even give a damn about Fallout any more. Oh, VOlourn, Bethesda > Interplay because Bethesda actually have made games that SELL! What has Interplay have done in the last few years in terms of released games? Nothing of note.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Interplay just needs to die already. Herve Caen mismanaged that company to death. Fallout 3 wasn't even made for the NMA guys nor the COdex people so why should they even give a damn about Fallout any more. Oh, VOlourn, Bethesda > Interplay because Bethesda actually have made games that SELL! What has Interplay have done in the last few years in terms of released games? Nothing of note.
Interplay needs new management ~and if there are real stock holders, could they not demand it?

I don't think they can wrangle it [Fallout] back this way, and I'm not sure I'd want them to have it... but I am sorry that they sold it to begin with.

Dialog and interactivity aside... for base gameplay & visuals, I'd just prefer a post apocalyptic Dawn of War style game... Where the Vault Dweller is depicted much as your DOW commander unit is. A game where the player commands the PC and he obeys to the best of his current ability; NPC's could strictly obey (if paramilitary or trained), and if not... be more or less loose cannons (that depend highly on the PC's Charisma to control).

~Bethesda will never deliver such a game; They focus to admirable extreme on the minutia of the Fallout setting, and throw the gameplay of the series all to hell in a misguided attempt to create a post apoc FPP simulator.

As for actual combat, Yes :), I would greatly prefer an improved TB solution that mirrors the originals (and in so doing, seeks to provide the same intents, aspects, and thrill that drew me to the series in the first place). While I love FPP games [shooters, RPG's] Games like Mirror's Edge, Arx Fatalis, Stalker... I'd never accept that style of gameplay in a Fallout title, and I'd never be in the a mood to play Fallout and a shooter at the same time. [Writing aside,] This is why Fallout 3 fell so short of the bar for me; Its a beautiful and very impressive game with a more realized setting than Troika would have ever achieved, but it is also IMO not the point of the game ~but in Bethesda's [hive] mind... it clearly is.

I never had so much fun in FO3 as when I making this simple video... (until the combat started)

*For instance... (as someone who couldn't stand shooting rottweilers in Quake,) I don't want or need to see close up gunfights with dogs, or burning faces and dismemberment in FPP ~but in high TPP the feeling is more detached and it lets you appreciate the events from a (well from a literally different perspective, though that's not quite my meaning). Fallout never had the Player personally commit those critical chest bursting minigun hits. It was always the PC, using the PC's skill with a weapon as the determining factor; It was played always from the sidelines as an observer. Part of the humor was the graphic deaths depicted in blocky 229 color sprites ~not that I'd advocate a return to 2d/ISO & sprites.

I'd not object to others playing FPP, but I was honestly shocked that a Fallout branded sequel did not let you play it in a manner akin to the originals (when it was trivially possible to do so; and can almost be done with console commands). *Also... No I'm not referring to the TB combat of the originals (That was possible, but not trivial).

Edited by Gizmo

i blame interplay for the collapse of black isle, so yeah, interplay can lick my nutsack

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i blame interplay for the collapse of black isle, so yeah, interplay can lick my nutsack

Um... Do you really want Herve Caen that close to such a delicate area with his rats?

:thumbsup:

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I believe that concludes constructive discussion on this topic. Thanks for playing.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester