polanski

Gromnir

I love how people get so hung up about "The Age

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In vast swathes of the world the age of consent is 13 or 14. That signifies to me cultural difference which a lot of Americans (where it is 18 or 19) refuse to accept.
Then the vast swathes of the world are barbarians, we know they're vulnerable children who need to be protected against sexual predators.

So you admit you were being dishonest, because otherwise you'd lose the argument. Why don't you show how my argument was a poorly built fallacy?

It was a false analogy. You were trying to assimilate my questioning of a poorly defined aphorism with questioning the substance and associated ethics of murder - a thinly veiled personal argument. That was dishonest.

I didn't think it merited a serious response, so I took the rhetorical path. At that point there was no arguement to lose anymore.

Huh? Do you even understand what you're saying yourself, or are you just stringing words together at random?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

From Polanski's side - he left because his sweetheart plea bargain deal was going to be ignored by the judge according to him and he felt like the judge and the DA colluded to convince him to plead guilty so they could make an example of him.
This.

From Wiki:

In 2008, a documentary film of the aftermath of the incident, Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. Following review of the film, Polanski's attorney, Douglas Dalton, contacted the Los Angeles district attorney's office about prosecutor David Wells' role in coaching the trial judge, Laurence J. Rittenband. Based on statements by Wells included in the film, Polanski and Dalton sought review of whether the prosecutor acted illegally and engaged in malfeasance in interfering with the operation of the trial.[50] However, after Polanski's arrest, David Wells recanted his statements in the film saying that he lied and "tried to butter up the story to make me look better".[51]

In December 2008, Polanski's lawyer in the United States filed a request to Judge David S. Wesley to have the case dismissed on the grounds of judicial and prosecutorial misconduct. The filing says that Judge Rittenband (now deceased) violated the plea bargain by keeping in communication about the case with a deputy district attorney who was not involved.

I know nothing about US legal procedures, so I don't really know how relevant is that, but to the untrained eye, it looks serious. Grom?

Now, we all want things to go according to THE LAW, but, shouldn't those charged with imparting justice be the first to do things by the book?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Huh? Do you even understand what you're saying yourself, or are you just stringing words together at random?
Thanks for proving that you have the reading comprehension level of a second grader.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Thanks for proving that you have the reading comprehension level of a second grader.

That's OK, since you got the reasoning and writing skills of a first grader.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Then the vast swathes of the world are barbarians

:thumbsup:

Yeah. This guy's like a mine of lol. He IS dead serious, though. Edited by 213374U

I don't think there's owt wrong with what he's saying. In large parts of the world they don't drink clean water or have freedom of speech. It doesn't mean the heathen buggers are on a winner.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Quick quiz: does anyone here with experience of trying to help victims of child abuse feel the age of consent is too high? Is it just me who feel you chaps are being rather blase?

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Quick quiz: does anyone here with experience of trying to help victims of child abuse feel the age of consent is too high? Is it just me who feel you chaps are being rather blase?

I do not think 18 is too high.

I understand the complications this can cause when you have an 18 or 19 year old with a 16 or 17 year old, but those cases are typically only prosecuted if there is a parental figure pushing for it. So the big trick is to stay on the good side of the parents when you are shagging someone.

Age of consent is similar to the speed limit, in that there has to be other factors involved to really make the case. Going 5 miles over the speed limit is rarely going to be a problem, but going 50 MPH in a school zone after taking drugs is going to get the book thrown at you.

"From Polanski's side - he left because his sweetheart plea bargain deal was going to be ignored by the judge according to him and he felt like the judge and the DA colluded to convince him to plead guilty so they could make an example of him."

The judge didn't betray any deal. Judges don't negotiate plea bargains. That's between the two sides. It wouldn't be the first or last time that a judge did not accept a plea bargain deal. They don't need to rubber stamp them either. That said, some people have accused the judge in this case of playing games with the prosecution even thoguh that hans't really been proven. But, again, judges have abnsolutely no obligation to accept plea bargains. They normally do since it's cheaper and easier in the long run but is no guarantee.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If the judge doesn't accept the plea bargain, there has to be a trial though, which I don't think was the case here. In any case, if there were issues they need to be worked out through the legal system.

"From Polanski's side - he left because his sweetheart plea bargain deal was going to be ignored by the judge according to him and he felt like the judge and the DA colluded to convince him to plead guilty so they could make an example of him."

The judge didn't betray any deal. Judges don't negotiate plea bargains. That's between the two sides. It wouldn't be the first or last time that a judge did not accept a plea bargain deal. They don't need to rubber stamp them either. That said, some people have accused the judge in this case of playing games with the prosecution even thoguh that hans't really been proven. But, again, judges have abnsolutely no obligation to accept plea bargains. They normally do since it's cheaper and easier in the long run but is no guarantee.

I never said the judge betrayed the deal; just that was Polanski's perspective was the Judge and DA tricked him and I think its part of why people have rallied around him.

As I pointed out, there was no reason why Polanski couldn't have started serving the sentence and fought his sentence on appeal (AFAIK) had it really been an issue rather than running from the law.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I just read in the Telegraph that there's like a 100 person list of celebrities rallying round him. WTF, people? _WTF_ ?????

Apparently Monica Bellucci regards being drugged and forced into sex as something that isn't rape. Which could be a dangerous stance to adopt in her case.

-Elwood Blues

What do you mean about Bellucci?

She's one of the signatories.

-Elwood Blues