New Mass Effect 2 Character

Gorth

I still need to generate some savegames for ME 2. Yey.

What is known about how importing savegames will work? I understand that we'll be re-leveling Shepard to a great degree, and that ME2 offers several new abilities. But will stuff like unlocked 'bonus talents' matter on imported characters (e.g., if I make a Sentinel with the Assault Rifle as the bonus talent, will she keep it)? Or is this just about Class, Gender, Paragon/Renegade, and certain plot/quest/NPC decisions?

Edited by Enoch

Or is this just about Class, Gender, Paragon/Renegade, and certain plot/quest/NPC decisions?

I don't think even paragon/renegade transfers over as they have the new system that gives you KotOR/Fable like facial changes depending on your alignment. And I think you can change your class.

But none of this is for certain.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

as they have the new system that gives you KotOR/Fable like facial changes depending on your alignment.

NOOOOOOO!

The horror! The horror!

I'm sorry, what? Cyborg Female Shepard voiced by Jennifer Hale? How can you say no to that?!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm sorry, what? Cyborg Female Shepard voiced by Jennifer Hale? How can you say no to that?!

Easily. Hale has been in every single game from bio I have played, I'm sooo tired of her.

It's okay if you get your face do the terminator by some action, but if it really is the KotOR way, more renegade --> more screwed up face, then no. No no no no no.

Edit:

Correction, Hale wasn't in Dragon Age. Anyway, too much Hale for me.

Edited by Slinky

She sounded a lot different in ME than in KotOR though. She wasn't even in Jade Empire.

EDIT: Oh so she was in the Baldur's Gate games. That's... not that much. Not to mention those aren't very recent. Maybe you've played MGS4 too much. :sorcerer:

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Maybe you've played MGS4 too much. ;)

Not guilty, your honor. Haven't touched any MGS game since MGS2.

She's good voice actor, but I have an overdose. Just check her out at IMDB She's everywhere! Everywhere I tell you!

On the subject of VO cost, I thought most Mass Effect dialogues (especially the exposition ones) were ruined by the writers having to write around the budget. Really, if due to cost reasons the end product turns out like Mass Effect, I'd rather not have any VO whatsoever. I like reading good dialogue a lot more than listening to bad dialogue.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"Really, if due to cost reasons the end product turns out like Mass Effect"

A really awesome product that's better than almost all of BIO's other games? *shrug* I cna live with that.

"I like reading good dialogue a lot more than listening to bad dialogue."

ME's dialogue is awesome. Over the top, and extreme at time yes, but awesome. Sure beats the blandness of the Bg series in comparison (minus a handful of characters).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's okay if you get your face do the terminator by some action, but if it really is the KotOR way, more renegade --> more screwed up face, then no. No no no no no.

Renegade = Saren

Paragon = Normal

It's a result of being rebuilt be Cerebus. It can also be undone according to the devs

No growing of horns or going pale with yellow eyes here.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

"Really, if due to cost reasons the end product turns out like Mass Effect"

A really awesome product that's better than almost all of BIO's other games? *shrug* I cna live with that.

"I like reading good dialogue a lot more than listening to bad dialogue."

ME's dialogue is awesome. Over the top, and extreme at time yes, but awesome. Sure beats the blandness of the Bg series in comparison (minus a handful of characters).

I'm not talking about the extreme lines of dialogue in ME. Those were ok by RPG standards, at least with Hale voicing them. I'm talking about all the mind numbing exposition, wihch invariably follows this template:

Shepard: "Tell me about Whatever."

Mindless NPC:"Never ending, wooden encyclopedia entry on Whatever."

Also, apart from this, Earth's representative on Citadel acted like a ranting, spoiled teenager the whole time, instead of an experienced, hardened diplomat who's given the most important diplomatic position in humanity's history.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"Shepard: "Tell me about Whatever."

Mindless NPC:"Never ending, wooden encyclopedia entry on Whatever.""

Sounds like something you see in every game with dialogue ever.

"Also, apart from this, Earth's representative on Citadel acted like a ranting, spoiled teenager the whole time, instead of an experienced, hardened diplomat who's given the most important diplomatic position in humanity's history."

he acts like a diplomatic. *shrug* And, gamers. We always hate on those who represent us.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1055366p1.html

at the end it mentions how part three of the trilogy might be a completely different game depending on how you finish 2, saying the differences are even more pronounced than what happens in 2 as a result of what happened in 1.

hmmm.... i doubt they will stick to this, people will whine too much, if they do it I expect to be able to choose at the beginning, ESPECIALLY those people who never played 1 or 2 - they'd be getting screwed out of a big chunk of the game.

that said, it sounds cool just because its such a nutso idea

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"hmmm.... i doubt they will stick to this, people will whine too much"

Yeah, no doubt about it.

It sound sgreat and I hope they follow through just as I hope they do with DA2 but I'm not holding my breath...

"All of the cheaters out there should prepare to become a statistic. Hudson told IGN that he thinks BioWare will make that data public. "

"But just because you started a relationship with one character, that doesn't mean you'll finish it with him or her. "I also think that some of the very same people who are worried that their love interest from the first one won't be a squad member will probably end up cheating on their love interest from Mass Effect 1 anyway," said Hudson. "The ones in Mass Effect 2 are really compelling. That will be an interesting thing, too, to see whether people can stay true to their Mass Effect 1 love interest on the level that you'd think they would. The great thing is that we can track this with Achievements and find out if people did this."

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

So what if I don't have any ME1 saves? Do I always get the same "canon" ME1 choices?

So what if I don't have any ME1 saves? Do I always get the same "canon" ME1 choices?

That would appear to be the case. Perhaps you get to pick your 'background' as in ME1 only they reflect ME1 choices.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yeah, I started a ME game yesterday, and I couldn't spacebar through the dialogue fast enough.

I went with a Vanguard, which everyone seems to love. I've played an Adept enough to unlock Singularity as the bonus talent. The only character I've finished the game with is an Infiltrator, but I did some things on that run that I'd rather not carry over to the sequel. (I.e., in a moment of weakness, I decided to see what teh alien seksayness was like. I certainly don't want the game thinking that I want more of that stuff.) I could also try to finish off the aforementioned Adept run, but at some point I feel like I should try using a weapon other than the pistol.

I got as far as earning Spectre status (I was home sick from work), and so far I've been avoiding committing much one way or another on the alignment meter. Which I'm sure is a rather sub-optimal strategy, given how it ties into your persuasive skills. I suppose that I'll go with generally being kind (as I like the paragon options in the game's "big decisions" better), except when being kind is ridiculous.

Anybody care to remind me which JNPCs have sidequests? I know Wrex and Garrus do, but I seem to recall Tali's being built into the main quest. Are there any others, or can I safely skip spacebarring through the other crewmembers' conversations?

Anybody care to remind me which JNPCs have sidequests? I know Wrex and Garrus do, but I seem to recall Tali's being built into the main quest. Are there any others, or can I safely skip spacebarring through the other crewmembers' conversations?

I'm pretty sure Tali has a sorta-sidequest as well, actually. Some intelligence on the Geth. You give it to her and she thanks you for it.

I'll probably end up having the hot chicks in my party...as usual.

This isn't unusual. The most useful party members (In other words, the only "pure" tech, soldier or biotic classes) are all female.

Piecemeal armor is an odd choice for a high-tech gameworld. I can see the argument from a gameplay perspective (Moar L00+!), but it's tough to come up with a reason why manufacturers would focus on smaller modules, yet retain universal compatability (e.g., why should Elanus sleeves work on a Devlon torso?).