New Mass Effect 2 Character

Gorth

Yeah I noticed that. Also, Shale = racist? Really?

Only against pigeons.

That's not racism, just a deep seated grudge and need for vengeance that can never be satisfied...you spend x many decades getting pooped on by pigeons and see how you react.. :thumbsup:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah I noticed that. Also, Shale = racist? Really?
"You puny squishies with your puny frail flesh yadda yadda yadda."

I don't get the Kaidan hate, he didn't complain or did anything emo-like. Then again, the Prince in Warrior Within spent only a one minute wrist-cutting in the entire game and that was enough for everyone calling him emo too.

Thane is a badass. I'm taking him throughout the entire game, screw the rest of the party members.

... ok, maybe Tali. :)

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Thane is a badass. I'm taking him throughout the entire game, screw the rest of the party members.

... ok, maybe Tali. :)

thats my boy

jk im not your dad

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

So nice to see Bio recycling the same old archetypes:

Lovable Female Rogue: Imoen, Mission, Leliana, Tali.

Lowbrow Thug with Peculiar sense of Honor: Korgan, Canderous, Black Whirlwind, Wrex, Oghren, (Grunt?)

Assassin with Heart of Gold: Yoshimo, HK-47, Sagacious Zu, Zevran, (Thane?)

Condescending Mentor: Jaheira, Jolee, Wynne.

Emotionally Scarred Emo: Aerie, Carth, Kaiden, (Samara?)

Bitchy Feminista: Viconia, Bastila, Silk Fox, Morrigan, (Subject Zero?)

The Racist: Keldorn, Juhani, Ashley, Shale.

I don't see how Tali is a 'lovable rogue', unless you mean she can open things. And I'm not sure how Samara is emotionally scarred emo. I'd place her under 'mentor.'

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Actually, Bio runs with two archetypes.

"I LOVE YOU PLAYER HERO GUY *WANKWANKWANK* YOU ARE THE GREATEST AND PURE AND HEROIC *WANKWANKWANK*

and kuudere-to-bes.

Edited by Oner

Lowbrow Thug with Peculiar sense of Honor: Korgan, Canderous, Black Whirlwind, Wrex, Oghren, (Grunt?)

I don't see how Tali is a 'lovable rogue', unless you mean she can open things. And I'm not sure how Samara is emotionally scarred emo. I'd place her under 'mentor.'

It's wonderful that those 'archetypes' are so wonderfully vague, and they still don't work out. ;)

I mean hk-47, heart of gold? Wrex, lowbrow? Tali, rogue? Shale?!

I mean, sure, there are similarities, but grossly exaggerating them seems to be the current trend... :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Juhani racist?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

You'll understand if people are confused when they see you saying that Juhani and Shale are the same characters when they seem to be wildly different.

I think your general point is apt, but your list is flawed.

For example, Carth, Kaiden, Jacob, and Alistair are all the 'normal' male party members who are one of the first characters you meet and function as the male romantic interest. Even if well written, they tend to be bland as they're meant to generically appealing as a buddy/boyfriend.

They're all goody-guys, as cruel/evil guys tend to not be as appealing to women. They're all have rockey pasts to make them more sympathetic. They all try to be

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Crap! I lost my Shepard. I really didn't want to have to replay ME again. Any word on what decisions default Shep goes off?

From the Wiki:

Mass Effect 2 allows the player to import their characters from any completed Mass Effect playthrough. This means that all decisions made by the player in Mass Effect will carry over into Mass Effect 2 and have the potential to impact the story. Decisions confirmed to have an impact on the game include:

* The decision to save either Kaidan or Ashley.[5]

* Whether or not the player kills Wrex on Virmire.[6]

* Whether or not the player decides to save the Citadel Council at the end of Mass Effect.[7]

* The player's choice of love interest.[8]

* Whether the player spares or destroys the Rachni Queen at Peak 15.[9]

* The player's treatment of Conrad Verner.[10]

* Whether or not the player completed the UNC: Asari Diplomacy sidequest.

* Whether the player chose to allow the Alliance to conduct experiments on Nirali Bhatia's body.[11]

Due to massive gameplay redesign, your level will not transfer over to Mass Effect 2 and you will start out with basic abilities.[12][13][14] However, the game will acknowledge if you were a level 60 character and if you were a Renegade or Paragon and adapt it in ways that map across to the new system.[15] Also, the physical appearance and class of imported characters can be changed at the start of the game, if desired.[16][17]

If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Huh? The crazy fan in the Citadel markets? Did anybody find his interruptions entertaining at all? I'm having bad memories of the "Noober 2" (Neeber?) who showed up in BG2-- it wasn't funny the first time, and it didn't get any funnier when they did it again.

Edited by Enoch

Huh? The crazy fan in the Citadel markets? Did anybody find his interruptions entertaining at all? I'm having bad memories of the "Noober 2" (Neeber?) who showed up in BG2-- it wasn't funny the first time, and it didn't get any funnier when they did it again.

That's the point...

I don't think he initiates conversations either, you have to talk to him. :ermm:

And I do agree that there are definitely some recycled character types, with the 'buddy' type Maria brought up being the clearest. However, I think that people are a) making a bigger deal of this than it is b) stretching these 'archetypes' to the point where, if you picked a handful of hollywood movies, you'd find all the same basic archetypes in there as well. Of course, I haven't read any movie thread on crpg boards of late, so I guess people could be whining about the same thing there...

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Crap! I lost my Shepard. I really didn't want to have to replay ME again. Any word on what decisions default Shep goes off?

Kills the Council

Kills Wrex

Kills the Rachni Queen

Has nothing to do with Conrad

Virmires your same sex squadmate

Perhaps not. In my book, Carth is a virtual carbon copy of Anomen. but I usually play female characters the first time through, so I could be colored in that way.

Nor do I find the buddy quality in any of the aforementioned characters, except for Alistair. Mostly just find them boring and/or annoying.

(Ironically enough, I kinda liked Anomen though, but probably more because he was a very good cleric, rather than his personality)

Edited by Spider

Kills the Council

Kills Wrex

Kills the Rachni Queen

Has nothing to do with Conrad

Virmires your same sex squadmate

Thanks Maria. That's a little too much killing for tastes ...but I really don't have it in me to replay ME, side-quests and all, right now. Default it is!

I don't know if I should be happy or sad about the amount of content they seem to be locking new players out of.

Then again, part of me wonders if they'll just decide to make what ought to be important choices mean little to nothing in ME 2 as to not lock new players out of anything.

The game has gone gold so we'll find out soon enough.

By the way, if I play my character through the game a second time (to reach level 60) is it the choices performed in the second playthrough that will carry over or the ones from the first?

Since apparently they care about character level in ME2, it'd be nice to max out the character, but if I have to play through the game making the exact same choices again, I'm not sure I'm up for it.