New Mass Effect 2 Character

Gorth

Hm, the way I read it was that that "default" is more the.. basic cannon for the universe at large, but that there's going to be a couple of early in game conversations that will let you "choose" some of those history moments for your game if you didn't import a save. As they did with KotOR 2 between the Exile and Atton.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I don't know if I should be happy or sad about the amount of content they seem to be locking new players out of.

Then again, part of me wonders if they'll just decide to make what ought to be important choices mean little to nothing in ME 2 as to not lock new players out of anything.

I'm wondering about the latter as well. It's going to be very interesting how ambitious they get. Having meaningful, wide-reaching C&C go through a trilogy of games would definitely be a first in gaming.

Hm, the way I read it was that that "default" is more the.. basic cannon for the universe at large, but that there's going to be a couple of early in game conversations that will let you "choose" some of those history moments for your game if you didn't import a save. As they did with KotOR 2 between the Exile and Atton.

Yeah, this has been mentioned in some previews. We'll see what it is and how it works soon enough...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

As I understand it, the default is made so new players have less backstory to catch up on. If you've never played ME 1, and a rachni queen pops up to say 'Thanks for saving me! ... but I'm going to take over the galaxy anyways, chump," you might be confused and the game has to take the time to explain things when and how you saves the giant bug. The same for Wrex, why is he on

his home planet, trying to unify the krogan?

, you won't really know if you never interacted with the character previously.

Chris talked about the 'choose your past' conversation bit and said that some articles were getting it wrong. You can clarify why Shepard made the choices he or she did, but you can't change your history.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Chris talked about the 'choose your past' conversation bit and said that some articles were getting it wrong. You can clarify why Shepard made the choices he or she did, but you can't change your history.
Nice, I've been waiting for this.

Is the save that must be imported into ME 2 the very last autosave of ME?

Apparently, it's something else. There's a thread on the Bio boards, probably a sticky one, that explains the whole thing. I'd look it up, but I feel dumber every time I go there. I swear the average age on the ME forums is 12-14.

Of course, youthful eagerness by itself is not necessarily worse than a bunch of bitter old men, but... :p

We'll see if they handle it better than they did with BG1 to BG2, or BG2 to NWN (hah!). I mean...they have to, right?....RIGHT?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

This is correct. The very last autosave of each playthrough is what ME imports.

For example, if I have a soldier named Maria Shepard and play her to level 50 as a paragon, that's one import save. I then use new game plus and use that same PC as a renegade and she's level 60 at the end, that's a second import save.

When I start up ME 2, it will give me a list of imports:

Maria Shepard - Soldier - level 50 (list of various paragon choices)

Maria Shepard - Soldier - level 60 (list of various renegade choices)

When I import the character, I can change her class and appearance.

Trinity has a potty mouth.

An early review of Mass Effect 2: Shooting and ***ing (NSFW)

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

"You can kill any alien in one shot if you shoot it in the balls - you just have to find where they are."

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

No, it's not. It's a separate save, as autosaves are character specific and each character can have multiple end-game saves.

Your biggest worry is not to call an automatic save at the end of the game an autosave?

Not when the game creates a different kind of save called 'autosave' which is the subject of the original question? :lol:

If the poor chap were to bin all his other files and just keep the 'autosave', he'd probably be in for a rude surprise, y'know...

So, other than the new piecemeal armor, how else is inventory/loot being changed? Because playing through some of ME1, the weaknesses of this system are really grating on me. The items have no character whatsoever-- just a brief description of the manufacturer (that manages to be even more boring than the codex entries), a product line name, a number, and 3 stats. And the mods are worse. (Really, how many different ranks of Incendiary Rounds does the game need?) They missed a big opportunity to add some character to their gameworld by making the inventory screen a trip to generictown-- even a handful of unique items would make a big difference. (The only one I can think of is the anti-thorian gas grenade mod, which even has a superfluous "I" ranking so that it fits in with all the other items from the boringville armory.)

So, other than the new piecemeal armor, how else is inventory/loot being changed? Because playing through some of ME1, the weaknesses of this system are really grating on me. The items have no character whatsoever-- just a brief description of the manufacturer (that manages to be even more boring than the codex entries), a product line name, a number, and 3 stats. And the mods are worse. (Really, how many different ranks of Incendiary Rounds does the game need?) They missed a big opportunity to add some character to their gameworld by making the inventory screen a trip to generictown-- even a handful of unique items would make a big difference. (The only one I can think of is the anti-thorian gas grenade mod, which even has a superfluous "I" ranking so that it fits in with all the other items from the boringville armory.)

They've been pretty tight-lipped about the changes, apart from the fact that some major ones have taken place.

The only thing I can think off the top of my head is that some of the upgrades will be researched by the scientist on your team, using resources and materials you've gathered. I'm guessing these will be the more unique ones...

For example, if I have a soldier named Maria Shepard and play her to level 50 as a paragon, that's one import save. I then use new game plus and use that same PC as a renegade and she's level 60 at the end, that's a second import save.

When I start up ME 2, it will give me a list of imports:

Maria Shepard - Soldier - level 50 (list of various paragon choices)

Maria Shepard - Soldier - level 60 (list of various renegade choices)

When I import the character, I can change her class and appearance.

Thank you.

I just asked because I noticed the last ME autosave is from just before the final battle, yet the game also saves during the final cutscene where the last choice in the game is made.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

No, it's not. It's a separate save, as autosaves are character specific and each character can have multiple end-game saves.

There's a little 'autosave' message that pops up when it happens.

Autosave is short for automatic save. The end game save is automatic. It is an autosave. It's different from the five regular autosaves, but it is still an autosave.

If you mean to say "Maria, your post was confusing. The regular autosaves can be rewritten and the end-game save is special, but you made it sound like the same thing," then I agree.

...how many different ranks of Incendiary Rounds does the game need?

According to ME 2: 4.

Special rounds are now a class skill for the Solder. You toggle on cryo, incendiary, or disruptor (or was it concussive?) rounds and that's what your gun shoots. They become more powerful the more points you stick into the skill. It's like elemental weapon's buff mages have in DA:O.

Edited by Maria Caliban

...how many different ranks of Incendiary Rounds does the game need?

According to ME 2: 4.

Special rounds are now a class skill for the Solder. You toggle on cryo, incendiary, or disruptor (or was it concussive?) rounds and that's what your gun shoots. They become more powerful the more points you stick into the skill. It's like elemental weapon's buff mages have in DA:O.

It's disruptor ammo. There is another ability called Concussive Shot. You can see both of them around the 8:00-8:30 mark of the Garrus gameplay video.

Which is good, because Sentinel was one of the weaker (imo) classes in ME 1, and they seem to have given it some love.

Anyways, there's an article out that says

Cerberus rebuilt Shepard from 'chunks of burnt flesh'

. A number of fans on the Bioforums are upset because there's 'no reason' to do this to Shepard and this means Shepard isn't *really* the Shepard from ME 1. I disagree, but I'd like to hear any thought from others here.

I think that like drinking darkspawn blood in DA:O, what Cerberus does to Shep doesn't seem to have much of a point, but will become an important plot element in ME2 or ME3.