Hell yeah!

Walsingham

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/6226709...scientists.html

The moon is a 'perfect' base for onward space exploration. I for one demand our next generation should think in terms of space. We can get the **** out there and any nutwit who wants to live in dusty eco/religious/racist penury can stay here.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Space exploration is a lovely metaphor and all, and it's great in that it helps us to increase our understanding of the physical laws of the universe, the history of the solar system, etc. But the one thing we haven't found up there is anything that makes it remotely worthwhile to go through the cost and risk of sending people.

Space exploration is a lovely metaphor and all, and it's great in that it helps us to increase our understanding of the physical laws of the universe, the history of the solar system, etc. But the one thing we haven't found up there is anything that makes it remotely worthwhile to go through the cost and risk of sending people.

Except for Tritium which is extremely valuable, if only the logistics of actually extracting it and bringing in back could be worked out. Perhaps in our lifetime but not now. But I would point out that the baby steps must be taken before the big things and the benefits they bring can be accoplished.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What's good about tritium?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/6226709...scientists.html

The moon is a 'perfect' base for onward space exploration. I for one demand our next generation should think in terms of space. We can get the **** out there and any nutwit who wants to live in dusty eco/religious/racist penury can stay here.

I hope they're wary of putting a weather controlling gravity machine on their Moonbase. Those things are just begging for trouble (as are global transmat systems).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It is an ideal nuclear fusion fuel. Excellent reactance and very high energy, without the down side of heavier fuels such as uranium and plutonium.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It is an ideal nuclear fusion fuel. Excellent reactance and very high energy, without the down side of heavier fuels such as uranium and plutonium.

Oh cool! I also realised the SA80 rifle has tritium sights which glow all the time. Which is also why if the sight gets cracked everyone has to leg it.

-Elwood Blues

My parents told me tritium was fictional and only existed in Spider-Man 2.

:p No it's real. The chemical symbol is H3. It's been a long time since my last chemistry class but I think it can only exist as a solid at extreme low temps and it is very unstable in any other form.

Thomas Sowell

:p No it's real. The chemical symbol is H3. It's been a long time since my last chemistry class but I think it can only exist as a solid at extreme low temps and it is very unstable in any other form.

Would't H3 refer to a molecule with 3 H atoms in it, instead of an isotope with a couple extra neutrons in it (which is what tritium is)? I thought 3H was the normal notation (with the 3 superscripted).

Would't H3 refer to a molecule with 3 H atoms in it, instead of an isotope with a couple extra neutrons in it (which is what tritium is)? I thought 3H was the normal notation (with the 3 superscripted).

You're right, I wrtoe it backwards...

Thomas Sowell

Except for Tritium which is extremely valuable, if only the logistics of actually extracting it and bringing in back could be worked out. Perhaps in our lifetime but not now. But I would point out that the baby steps must be taken before the big things and the benefits they bring can be accoplished.

Yeah, and that's just the mining aspect. I think I read somewhere that microgravity is an ideal environment for manufacturing certain... thingies. Most likely hi-tech stuff, or perhaps precision lenses. Frankly, I can't be arsed to google it.

We just need a material with a sufficient tensile strength to employ in a a space elevator, and work from there.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

In other news they recently found definitive proof of water on the Moon.

It's created by the sun's radiation causing hydrogen and oxygen in moon rocks to bind. So the Moon is constantly covered in a thin film of water. Enough to make rocket fuel out of.

Edit: Wait, ****. I should have read the article before posting.

Edited by Krezack

Well, fine, I'm gonna hijack the thread. Let's talk about the world's biggest space telescope and an accompanying exaflops supercomputer that Australia is going to start building (with the help of NASA, ESA, etc) in 2012. That thing will be as amazing as the moon landing or the LHC!

It took India's first probe and 30 years later to find water on the Moon. So what did NASA and the astronauts do when they were on the moon 30 years ago? :thumbsup:

Found water. India's probe was the third space agency to discover water on the moon. It just means it's near irrefutable that the moon contains water and it wasn't a contaminant or measurement error. India's probe used a NASA device to discover the water anyway.

The only thing worthwhile that can come out of this is a giant laser on the moon.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

^ You still have to wonder why NASA, the astronauts, and with the Apollo missions that they didn't declare there's water on the moon sooner. Like 30-40 years ago.

The majority of water evidence (to be fair, what has been found in not water as we have it here but hydroxl) located in any abundance has been near the lunar poles. The Apollo landing sites are all near the lunar equator. The one mission that brought back the most samples bearing the greatest amount of evidence of water was Apollo 15 which landed at Descartes and was the northernmost landing. The fact that the Descartes samples contained evidence of past water is what fueled the then commonly believed theory that the moon was created from ejecta from the earth following an impact or volcanic event. It wan't until the orbiter Clementine photographed the poles back in the 80s that the beleif arose that there might be large amounts of water. Since then US, ES, Chinese, and now Indian probes have all gathered supporting evidence.

Thomas Sowell