So Fallout 3

ramza

Meh, Marathon beat it.

Which is a Mac title.

I didn't know copying mac solutions counted as pioneering outside Redmond.

Well, if you think difference in platform isn't important, then I'll just it's the first 3D fps with free mouse-look, as Marathon is 2.5D. Besides the 3D and the mouse-look, Future Shock also features large outdoor open-area. Oh and drivable vehicles too.

From a technical point, Bethesda's earlier FPS titles (e.g. 2029) lagged about a generation behind id, then they overtook id with XnGine. Of course a year later id came back to blow everyone out of the water with the Quake engine. But for a while XnGine was among the most advanced FPS engines on the market. In term of game design, Bethesda's FPS had this constant vision of openness which was ahead of its time comparing to corridor shooters that dominated the era. Yeah, they're not THE pioneer of FPS as id was, but I stand by my earlier assertion that they're definitely one of the pioneers.

Ah, the Terminator game. Yes, that was awesome, one of the earliest solid implementations of a sniper rifle that I remember. I thought it was called Skynet?

Now that you mention it, yes. Mayb-

Oh I see, that was a sequel.

Edited by Oner

Ah, the Terminator game. Yes, that was awesome, one of the earliest solid implementations of a sniper rifle that I remember. I thought it was called Skynet?

SkyNET was like a standalone expansion to Future Shock, with some multiplayer stuff thrown in. Their marketing guy must be either brave or crazy or both to release a game based on Terminator IP without printing the word "Terminator" on the box. Guess it wasn't Pete Hines.

It's funny because I don't consider Bethesda's FPSs to be a part of their legacy at all, but they were definitely making them.

I consider Bethesda's FPS games somewhat related to their later RPG stuff, because of the open-area/open-world design. I never got to play their original Terminator game in 1990(a few years too young for that), but it was a sand-box game setting the player free on the L.A. streets trying to either protect or kill Sarah Connor.

HAHA That was a Bethesda game?

Crazy!!! I played that one hehehehe.

It was "interesting" by today's standards :thumbsup: Though the driving mechanic was neat....depending on which car you jacked you had to worry about automatic vs manual transmission. I remember shifting was a bitch though hehe.

Edited by alanschu

Man, Fallout 3 is somewhat hard, especially those super mutants. Best weapon I have found so far is the hunting rifle and I am decapitating almost all my opponents with it. I am a bit lost though. I was looking for the radio station and found a metro station instead. There were some scary ghouls so I left immediately. I then decided to take on the fire ants mission. Man, it's hard to kill those things! I didn't find the boy's house but I found another metro station. I went in and it was full of ants! I then found some door that led to some church area filled with super-mutants that were shooting at BoS knights. I had enough emotions for one day so I stopped there...

By the way, the wastelands are way overcrowded: I get to see different types of enemies next to each other without reacting to each other sometimes.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I also encountered a centaur while fighting some raiders. I panicked a bit at first but it drew the raiders' attention and I managed to kill them all.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Man, Fallout 3 is somewhat hard, especially those super mutants. Best weapon I have found so far is the hunting rifle and I am decapitating almost all my opponents with it.

eh, how'd you do that? i had a minigun and a AK-47 ar whatever it's called few minutes after i left megaton. I wouldn't call it hard as much as repetitive.

By the way, the wastelands are way overcrowded: I get to see different types of enemies next to each other without reacting to each other sometimes.

yeah they're so damn many it just doesn't make any sense.

Don't you only get the Chinese Assault Rifle if the Sheriff ends up dead? I didn't get mine for a while and was mostly using the hunting rifle for the early part of the game too.

There's a factory somewhere with Chinese ghouls and a funny radio station. I get mine over there.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I was walking around Paradise Falls last night, and realized that it is the most "fallouty" location in Fallout 3. Granted, it could use more quests, but overall, the layout, the design and the characters really made sense. It was especially fun to get up on Eulogy's pad and start shooting everyone with my incinerator :p

Most unknown Bethesda game is Zero Critical, a point-and-click sci-fi adventure game... I'm not sure whether they developed or published it, though. Probably the latter.

Yeah they just published it, but the developer later joined Bethesda. I think he's the arts director of Fallout 3.

Delta V is probably the most unknown in-house Beth game. It's a cyberpunk vehicle shooter, I remember finding it on my dad's work computer and played a few times when I was in his office.

Man, Fallout 3 is somewhat hard, especially those super mutants. Best weapon I have found so far is the hunting rifle and I am decapitating almost all my opponents with it. I am a bit lost though. I was looking for the radio station and found a metro station instead. There were some scary ghouls so I left immediately. I then decided to take on the fire ants mission. Man, it's hard to kill those things! I didn't find the boy's house but I found another metro station. I went in and it was full of ants! I then found some door that led to some church area filled with super-mutants that were shooting at BoS knights. I had enough emotions for one day so I stopped there...

Yeah Fallout 3 is pretty hard at the beginning, I constant ran out of ammo and found myself meleeing with my scientist type character. It probably had something to do with me going to the fire ant town right after Megaton though.

Edited by Masterfade

Don't you only get the Chinese Assault Rifle if the Sheriff ends up dead? I didn't get mine for a while and was mostly using the hunting rifle for the early part of the game too.

There are CHinese Assault rifles all over the gameworld. There are several just sitting around for easy and free in Metro Central.

edit: I should also point out that the vanilla hunting rifle is one of the best small guns in the game. Except for some of the unique weapons, the argument can be made that the hunting rifle is THE best all around small gun in the game.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If you include Ol' Painless, it's a pretty easy argument to make. It has effectively endless repair and ammo resources available across the wasteland. Used from a HIDDEN state, it annihilates most targets in one shot. Sneak attack critical = tons of armor-bypassing damage. Add in Better Criticals and it's even deadlier. It also has 0 spread (though the 0.3 of the regular hunting rifle is good enough in most circumstances).

Man, Fallout 3 is somewhat hard, especially those super mutants. Best weapon I have found so far is the hunting rifle and I am decapitating almost all my opponents with it.

eh, how'd you do that? i had a minigun and a AK-47 ar whatever it's called few minutes after i left megaton. I wouldn't call it hard as much as repetitive.

I found at least 2-3 hunting rifles while clearing out the school and the super market.

I don't know if it's my pc but there have been some weird things happening. When I do some critical hit and sent my opponent literally flying around, there's sometimes some weird scrap of metal flying around in the distance just like an UFO. I avoid getting close to it as it may hurt my character but it flies in circles and makes a weird noise (just like a sword, ya know, "swoosh"). Really weird. I have seen this 3 times already...

Eh, I have to admit, I was mostly able to enjoy Fallout3.. I mean , sure it wasn't some amazingly brilliant piece of work.. but it had atmosphere and was head and shoulders above the soul-destroying cack that was Oblivion...

With the pipboy radio picking up the right tunes and catching the sun setting across the wastelands.. you could feel a touch of desolation (and I'm not talking about the gameplay :thumbsup: ).

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."