So Fallout 3

ramza

It was ok, not awful, say 7/10.

I would agree.

Unfortunately, as an rpg its about 1/10. But it does some other non-rpg things well.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's a good game. I think in the sea of complaints about writing and not being 'fallout' enough, people miss this.

Yep, bullseye. Dialog, characters and the world itself are pretty far from the quality and maturity of the originals, and that bothered me constantly in F3. That is understandable though, F3 is clearly aimed for younger audince than the originals were. I can see why many people like the game, but I couldn't no matter how hard I tried. Luckilly there are no laws what games people should like and shouldn't like :lol:

It's a good game. I think in the sea of complaints about writing and not being 'fallout' enough, people miss this.

Yep, bullseye. Dialog, characters and the world itself are pretty far from the quality and maturity of the originals, and that bothered me constantly in F3. That is understandable though, F3 is clearly aimed for younger audince than the originals were. I can see why many people like the game, but I couldn't no matter how hard I tried. Luckilly there are no laws what games people should like and shouldn't like :)

Aimed at younger people, but all I saw on the Beth forums was how awesome Bloody Mess is. :brows:

Aimed at younger people, but all I saw on the Beth forums was how awesome Bloody Mess is. :brows:

Blood and gore doesn't equal maturity.

But I respect your superior mental strenght, I can't read Beth's forums :)

I remember the game freezing intermittently when I first played it, then I did something I now don't remember and the problem solved. Since I'll 'soon' have to reinstall the game from scratch, I hope this freezing issue doesn't pop up again.

Also, I remember the very first time I exited the vault I ran into the 'random' encounter of a Deathclaw getting owned by two Outcasts & not much farther from this encounter I ran into "Sam Warrick" who netted me leather armor and a sniper rifle after going James Clemens on him.

It's an enjoyable game, but in the end I prefer TES and wouldn't lose any minute of sleep if Bethesda would completely outsource the franchise to Bethesda and completely focus on TES again.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I am in Megaton right now. I entered some kind of church and killed all the people in there. When I went back outside, it's as if nothing had happened! I then tried to kill someone outside and the whole town was on me. Needless to say that I died...

Dunno, it may have good points as a game but I guess its appeal will rapidly decrease over the course of the next days...

Isn't there a way to make my character move faster? It takes ages to move around...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Bizarre, when I blew off Moira Brown's head and headed outside the whole town was on my back.

Fallout 3's system is better than Oblivion's, at least. Kill some random schmuck inside a house in stealth mode in Oblivion and still a guard will come after you. Then pay some gold and everything's hunky-dory again.

At least Morrowind had a "death sentence" if you killed too many people (which of course could still be removed if you were in the Thieves Guild).

So this is turning into a "I hate FO3 because..." thread?

Bonus points on the clever setup, though, ramza.

Or just a "My take on FO3 is..." thread?

If someone's takle of FO3 is negative or mediocre, nothing wrong with that.

On this forum, I think its pretty fair to assume that the overall take on FO3 is going to tend between the negative and mediocre and slightly positive

VS say NMA and Codex which are going to tend even more toward the negative.

VS Bethie's fan board which is going to tend toward the positive.

Ramza tends to like crpgs in the more classical IE sense, so I think it natural that Ramza's take will definitely be not overwhelmingly positive.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ramza also tends to like FF Tactics apparently.

I didn't like FO3 either, but I don't feel the burning need to tell that to everyone, but that's just me.

Fair enough.

But a part of message boards like this is that members of the community who want to offer their take on a game can have their opportunity to do so.

If Ramza is just now getting around to FO3, no reason why he/she can't have their say like so many others.

And other community members may or may not respond with variations on I agree/disagree.

Many internet topics tend to be highly repitive in nature, part of that is simply because not everyone plays everything at the same time, but still want to talk about it when they do.

So this is turning into a "I hate FO3 because..." thread?

Bonus points on the clever setup, though, ramza.

Ramza tends to like crpgs in the more classical IE sense, so I think it natural that Ramza's take will definitely be not overwhelmingly positive.

Ah, here's someone who finally understands my poor, tortured soul... :o

More seriously, the game has got some fine points. The thing is Fallout 3 is a more action-oriented game than it is an RPG. It's as if I was playing an action game like...dunno... Tomb raider with dialog choices. At least, Tomb raider had some puzzles in it. There are some similarities with Zelda games, but there again, there were puzzles to make the game more interesting. Maybe I should stop pretending to be playing an rpg and play the game for what it is really.

It may be the setting, it may be the clunky interface or the slow-paced exploration aspect, the lack of strategy in combat or the loner's aspect of the game... I dunno, there's something I don't like about the game. To tell the truth, I don't think I am the target audience. But, I definitely see it's potential appeal and the reasons of its success. VATS is really cool for example... I just try to understand what's wrong. I have been playing NWN2 and the witcher lately and fallout3 doesn't feel very alive compared to them. I want dialogs and interaction.

I like some adventure games, some RTS games, I mainly like BIS and BIO rpgs and a very small selection of shooters (mainly CoD and MoH) but action games bore me to death. I am not about to give up on Fallout 3. I will keep playing it for a week or two and see if there's more to it.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Ramza also tends to like FF Tactics apparently.

I didn't like FO3 either, but I don't feel the burning need to tell that to everyone, but that's just me.

I am not a fan of the old Fallout games (except for Fallout Tactics maybe). Fallout3 has been equally praised and despised for various reasons. As I have already said, I just wanted to see what the fuss was all about. And as Slowtrain wrote, I am just posting my personal opinion. You are entitled to your own of course. Don't get me wrong, I try to like the game but so far I am not really pleased with what I have seen. And I am really trying to put aside the prejudice I have against Beth for their acknowledged bad taste. Fallout 3 is some kind of hybrid game that needs to be explored a bit more. What I have written are merely first impressions. Just wait for my final feedback in a week or 2.

You probably knew what you were getting into, right?

Also, NWN2 OC is about as dead as a game gets. Seriously, there were like 2 houses per town that you could enter and like ~5 npcs that had any real dialogue.

@Slowtrain: I'm just a bit tired of everybody expecting FO3 to be something that it isn't.

Also, NWN2 OC is about as dead as a game gets. Seriously, there were like 2 houses per town that you could enter and like ~5 npcs that had any real dialogue.

There was a little more than that, a ton of dialog was written for the game. The world seemed alive with events happening everywhere. Now the quality of the writing and the depth of characters is debatable but the amount is not.

Heh, I remember entering one town in F3 with 2 people, a nuka cola obsessed girl and a guy who was in love with her. My first thought was how the heck do these two survive out here?

I believe the trader caravans stop in Girdleshade (sp?) too.

I am in Megaton right now. I entered some kind of church and killed all the people in there. When I went back outside, it's as if nothing had happened! I then tried to kill someone outside and the whole town was on me. Needless to say that I died...

Dunno, it may have good points as a game but I guess its appeal will rapidly decrease over the course of the next days...

If you are actively trying to find fault in the game, you'll find it, and you'll have ended up wasting your money on a game you don't enjoy.

Doesn't really sound like he's actively seeking faults, playing a psycho killer is a popular playstyle. :D

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra