Mass Effect!

Arkan

I stopped doing the side missions because I didn't enjoy them after doing some of them.

I did enjoy the main narrative, and I did enjoy the companions. And because the two companions I played with the most were Kaiden and Ashley, the plot point later in the game probably affected me more than others that choose to play with different companions.

RE: Sidequest:

I felt the same, but the completionist in me had to do them all (though I couldn't finish one because I visited the location prior to receiving the quest), with the exception of the collections. I think I got them all but the element collections either way.

RE: Ashley and Kaiden:

Same here. It was a really heartwrenching moment, and very well done. At least the moment and emotional impact because of that. I started my first run playing with Wrex and Garrus, and it would have been a big "meh" moment had I gone that route. I liked that there were numerous occasions in the game where the choices you made were morally ambiguous, including one such moment in the DLC Bring Down the Sky which was very well done.

I had almost full Paragon and Renagade guages, hehe.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Mass Effect was a good game, but it gets easily beaten down by the excellent Dragon Age.

Really? Bioware topped it that much? I can't wait to play, but I have to take an RPG break and have some FPS fun with Crysis and Mirror's Edge for a while.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

ME is vastly superior to KOTOR. To say otherwise is to be wrong.

As for DA vs ME... I dunno.. That's a tough. DA is really, really good, and it definiotely does plenty better, but the main story isn't as tight.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

dragon age is much better than mass effect in my opinion

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'd probably rate Dragon Age higher than ME. DA really challenged me with difficult choices, where there was really no clear right and wrong. ME was a bit more black and white. But honestly they are both just fantastic games, and I hope we get quality titles like them on an annual basis.

I'd probably rate Dragon Age higher than ME. DA really challenged me with difficult choices, where there was really no clear right and wrong. ME was a bit more black and white. But honestly they are both just fantastic games, and I hope we get quality titles like them on an annual basis.

Since we're now getting games ~3 months apart, I wonder how long a dry spell is going to follow ME2. AFAIK, nothing else apart from TOR has been announced. That leaves Edmonton and Montreal completely unaccounted for (apart from the comments on DAO2, but I kind of doubt it's going to be the next one out).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Since we're now getting games ~3 months apart, I wonder how long a dry spell is going to follow ME2. AFAIK, nothing else apart from TOR has been announced. That leaves Edmonton and Montreal completely unaccounted for (apart from the comments on DAO2, but I kind of doubt it's going to be the next one out).

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if DA2 was the next one out, Bio put a lot of effort into the DA universe, I suspect a follow up to it to be the next release after TOR. But there was a comment by a Bio dev that is working on DA DLC, that his previous assignment was on an action RPG that was cancelled(my guess JE2). So either that was deemed unprofitable or EA has said use the IP's you've created for now. Which does make sense, they have the ME IP that is popular, which in two months time, is going to get it's second entry. Then you've got DA which they have just released, which seem to have also done well. Personally I'd be surprised if we seen anything not ME/DA/TOR related coming from Bio for the next few years.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if DA2 was the next one out, Bio put a lot of effort into the DA universe, I suspect a follow up to it to be the next release after TOR. But there was a comment by a Bio dev that is working on DA DLC, that his previous assignment was on an action RPG that was cancelled(my guess JE2). So either that was deemed unprofitable or EA has said use the IP's you've created for now. Which does make sense, they have the ME IP that is popular, which in two months time, is going to get it's second entry. Then you've got DA which they have just released, which seem to have also done well. Personally I'd be surprised if we seen anything not ME/DA/TOR related coming from Bio for the next few years.

Bioware site still shows a "new next gen game" on their website. That seems to be the one they started at about the same time as ME1. There's no reason for them to say anything before ME2 comes out, as that would only intefere with that publicity, but I expect we'll hear something afterwards. Unless of course that's the action RPG which got cancelled, but I think they were working on at least two unannounced games before.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'd be very suprised if there wouldn't be team already working on Dragon Age 2. Solid 2 years of crappy DLC, then sequel. While graphics quaility is poor, it's still works in this generation of consoles. Personally I'd expect much shorter main campaign for the sequel but much more optional DLC that increase overall lenght of the game.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

What do you mean?

TBH, it was rather late and I had been partying. But my point is that I can't remember the last time I haven't been aware of multiple projects Bioware's been working on. ME2 is coming out shortly (and very close to DAO), and after that the only confirmed project with an actual release coming in foreseeable future is TOR - something that I have to keep reminding myself of, as I have no interest in MMO(RPG)s.

Bioware site still shows a "new next gen game" on their website. That seems to be the one they started at about the same time as ME1. There's no reason for them to say anything before ME2 comes out, as that would only intefere with that publicity, but I expect we'll hear something afterwards. Unless of course that's the action RPG which got cancelled, but I think they were working on at least two unannounced games before.

Yeah, I see your point, but it's a new situation, right? And unless Bio's going to go all Activision on us (having different teams working on a series to pump out sequels at 1-year intervals), the next release would be on some different franchise. I don't see a TOR/ME3/DAO2 cycle coming unless something's changing radically there, there are too many teams unaccounted for barring the Acti-approach...

And I ain't forgetting AP or Deus Ex 3 - just not their place in this thread :thumbsup:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif