The Music Thread

Gorth

IF there are any trip hop fans here, new Massive Attack album is out. And it's phenomenal!

Is it really? I'm going to be annoyed if its mediocre. Please confirm.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

IF there are any trip hop fans here, new Massive Attack album is out. And it's phenomenal!

Is it really? I'm going to be annoyed if its mediocre. Please confirm.

Is basically a duets album featuring other artist within the genre, which makes it musically diverse. Not reaching into the heavy electronic or trance beats it has more of a natural feel. I would recommend it a try if you are a fan of the genre, but a word of warning it is unlike any of their previous works having a sentiment like an experimental album.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, all Massive Attack albums are heavy on collaboration, this one included. It sounds somewhere between Blue Line/Protection and Mezzanine - gloomy and moody, but not as dreadful as Mezzanine. It's not as much of return to their classic sound as Portishead's Third was, but it does emit the same Massive Attack feeling as their first three albums. It is absolutely fantastic. After the failure that 100th Window was, it's a delight to hear something this good.

Must have for any Massive Attack fan.

Well, all Massive Attack albums are heavy on collaboration, this one included. It sounds somewhere between Blue Line/Protection and Mezzanine - gloomy and moody, but not as dreadful as Mezzanine. It's not as much of return to their classic sound as Portishead's Third was, but it does emit the same Massive Attack feeling as their first three albums. It is absolutely fantastic. After the failure that 100th Window was, it's a delight to hear something this good.

Must have for any Massive Attack fan.

This one was a little heavier than most, IMO it was unique in that I couldn't really compare it to any of their previous albums. It does bear their signature that says "Massive Attack" but I find it to be free of previous influences and an exploration of new sounds which they hadn't touched before. The only downside I could find is that while it was a good album overall none of the songs seem to stand out above the others.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, there are no Mezzanine instant classics here, though Rush Minute is really catchy, it's a solid album, much more so than 100th Window. And the collaborations couldn't really be better.

Massive Attack - Girl I love you

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I listened to the whole album through three times. I got used to it, but it didn't hit me square, to be honest.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Destiny's End - Storm Clouds

Gotta love well-done power ballads.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Are you serious, Pop?

Last night I found out an old school acquaintance of mine had died of cancer. Hit me excessively hard. I guess echoes or something. Anyway, I was in a ruck, and decidedthe best solution was to go listen to a Kate Bush cover band. I hate Kate Bush and sure enough it completely took my mind off my woe. It was fantastically depressing, because not only is Kate Bush's music awful, but teh girl doing the singing was clearly hugely talented. It was like seeing a michelin chef flipping woppers.

-Elwood Blues

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

An eclectic mix of Roma di Luna, Massive Attack, the Wailin Jennys, The Battle of Land and Sea, Mazzy Star, and the Cowboy Junkies.

-Elwood Blues

Toxik - Think This

Technical thrash is awesome.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

If any of y'all likes electronic music, you can listen to me now and every week from 1-3 AM MST at www.kcsufm.com

Cool, I'll try to catch it sometime. :)

Is there a podcast version that can be downloaded or do we have to listen live?

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I've been listening to Massive Attack's new album these past few days. It's called Heligoland. Pretty good stuff, and in traditional MA style, it feels pretty different from previous efforts. Has a bit of a sinister carnival feel to it.

Right now I'm listening to the song Atlas Air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8yJIfC8vE

They created a monster baseline for this track, and the slight tempo shifts in the beat are frickin win. Specially early in the track when the beat slows down a bit and the baseline kicks in for the first time.

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I've been listening to Massive Attack's new album these past few days. It's called Heligoland. Pretty good stuff, and in traditional MA style, it feels pretty different from previous efforts. Has a bit of a sinister carnival feel to it.

Right now I'm listening to the song Atlas Air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8yJIfC8vE

They created a monster baseline for this track, and the slight tempo shifts in the beat are frickin win. Specially early in the track when the beat slows down a bit and the baseline kicks in for the first time.

We talked about it last page. Awesome album.

Massive Attack - Sly

kirottu said:

More St Vincent this time in the form of an incredible Beatles cover.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: