Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Sentience vs. Sapience

The word sentient is often confused with the word sapient, which is essentially a confusion between simple perception or sensation and intelligence or thinking.

And Shadowrun dragons are awesome, it makes a lot of sense that to get power and influence in a modern world they would want to be in positions that offer the most power.

Edited by Purkake

If the dragons really are non-sapient(that's the word, sentient means you are aware of your surrondings), it's pretty much a cop-out. In Shadowrun dragons are are CEOs of the megacorps and always meddle in politics etc. same with DnD, just having them be dumb monsters for slaughter is just sad.

Wait, it'd be a dumb copout for them to do dragon's differently?

If the dragons really are non-sapient(that's the word, sentient means you are aware of your surrondings), it's pretty much a cop-out. In Shadowrun dragons are are CEOs of the megacorps and always meddle in politics etc. same with DnD, just having them be dumb monsters for slaughter is just sad.

Dragons are seen as the smartest and most cunning of creatures in fantasy, turning that on it's head just to make them dumb monsters for you to kill seems like a cop-out to me.

Could archdemons be called that because the are awesomer than the regular run-of-the-mill demons?

There's at least one fantasy where dragons have bastard descendants which evolved into instinct-driven animals to the point where they are referred to as wyverns instead of dragons. The normal dragons are asleep.

Edited by Oner

Dragons are seen as the smartest and most cunning of creatures in fantasy, turning that on it's head just to make them dumb monsters for you to kill seems like a cop-out to me.

Could archdemons be called that because the are awesomer than the regular run-of-the-mill demons?

Dragons still seem to be quite smart and cunning from what I can tell.

And I didn't get the impression that the Archdemon is called the Archdemon simply because he's more awesome than a standard dragon haha.

Dragons still seem to be quite smart and cunning from what I can tell.

And I didn't get the impression that the Archdemon is called the Archdemon simply because he's more awesome than a standard dragon haha.

Do any of the dragons talk to you?

We'll see about the archdemon. When I think of archdemon-dragon, I think of Tiamat

Tiamat_p93.jpg

Who was that cop out who turned the Babylonian sea goddess into a 5 headed dragon? :teehee:

Some DnD writer. She's the mother of all chromatic(evil) dragon in DnD.

The Babylonian one was just another faceless goddess that created stuff.

We'll see about the archdemon. When I think of archdemon-dragon, I think of Tiamat

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dd_gallery/dd1/Tiamat_p93.jpg

Rather than Tiamat, isn't that Takhisis' true form? Takhisis, as in Dark Queen of Krynn?

No it's most certainly Tiamat the greater god who guards the entrance to the second level of The Nine Hells of Baator, Dis.

EDIT: Apparently they love her so much that she's everywhere

Edited by Purkake

ahh but its not standard in it's presentation (its WAY above standard) (and I don't just mean graphics, like crysis had good graphics but sucked, half life 2 has good graphics and is incredible)
I found HL 2 a bit boring (episodes got progressively better), but let's get back on topic:

Alanschu, will my team be effective if I choose to play with a warrior, a dog, an archer and a healer, or are damage dealing mages a must have in DA too?

I find a balanced party tends to be the smoothest playthrough. The party you describe would probably work pretty well.

Mages are very useful, but they don't need to be damage dealers to be useful.

Guest Slinky

What about rogues? Are locked containers so common that a rogue is always needed?

4 character party is starting to sound a little cramped, especially because multiclasses are out.

Edited by Slinky

What about rogues? Are locked containers so common that a rogue is always needed?

4 character party is starting to sound a little cramped, especially because multiclasses are out.

A 4 player party is cramped when there are only 3 classes?

What are you smoking, man?

I find a balanced party tends to be the smoothest playthrough. The party you describe would probably work pretty well.

Mages are very useful, but they don't need to be damage dealers to be useful.

You have my thanks, o great DA guru! :teehee:

Guest Slinky

Car tires and plastic soldiers :teehee:

The main thing what I like in RPG's are the partymembers. It brings the atmosphere to completely new level for me if they are done well, like in PS:T and NWN2:MotB. So I want to pick those partymembers I personally like, not those who I "need". So if it happens that I need Wynne as a healer and Leliana as a rogue with me all times, that leaves only one partymember I can "freely" choose.

Dragons in Ferelden were once revered as the Old Gods. Then Andraste came, and the Chantry. The Chantry still teaches that 'it was the hybris of men that lead to their downfall', and the dragons fled into the underground, into the deep ground underneath Ferelden.

Why did the dragons flee? Aren't they supposed to be 'uber' creatures being able to lay waste to entire armies? Oh, and are they sentient?

Yes, they fled. And I don't remember the reasin why they fled? though....

I do remember David Gaider, lead writer for Bioware on DA: Origins telling us that some people hunted down dragons and killed them, maybe people from the Tevinter Imperium? (don't remember who exactly). I think?, though, it has something to do withy the Chantry teachings about mages corrupting The Golden City and that the Dragons in the great darkness that followed all fled underground (beneath the Earth) in order for them not to be killed. Or so the Chantry teaches....

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

Car tires and plastic soldiers :teehee:

The main thing what I like in RPG's are the partymembers. It brings the atmosphere to completely new level for me if they are done well, like in PS:T and NWN2:MotB. So I want to pick those partymembers I personally like, not those who I "need". So if it happens that I need Wynne as a healer and Leliana as a rogue with me all times, that leaves only one partymember I can "freely" choose.

Then you use the main character to compensate, or suffer the consequences.

Archdemon dragons? Are they like half-fiend dragons? Surely they can't be demons and dragons at the same time.

The Tevinter Impreium worshiped seven gods in the form of dragons. The Chantry teaches that these were seven powerful spirits in the Fade who lied to men and caused them to attempt to enter the Golden City of the Maker. In punishment, the Maker cast them out of the Fade and under the earth.

Others think they’re just high dragons the darkspawn have corrupted with a magic ritual.

Either way, they

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Geez, I really hope they have an awesome into video that makes all that backstory sound cool, because the bits I've seen look like generic medieval fantasy #52617.

They can't possibly throw you into the world that your character is supposed to know without giving you the Ferelden 101, right?

Edited by Purkake

Geez, I really hope they have an awesome into video that makes all that backstory sound cool, because the bits I've seen look like generic medieval fantasy #52617.

I think most if not all games suffer from that problem. In the end its the gameplay that makes the game. The story is just there to string the gameplay together.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.