What are you playing now

Gorth

Whatever. More interesting though is that DX11 is supposed to improve performance even with DX10 cards. Does that mean Crysis runs even better when I play it with Windows 7? Can someone confirm that?

It means that we have to go through another ~2 years of fixing crappy drivers with only ~10% of developers actually supporting it.

Whatever. More interesting though is that DX11 is supposed to improve performance even with DX10 cards. Does that mean Crysis runs even better when I play it with Windows 7? Can someone confirm that?

It means that we have to go through another ~2 years of fixing crappy drivers with only ~10% of developers actually supporting it.

No, as developers already got enough time/experience fixing the DX10 drivers, improving DX11 drivers should be a lot easier, because DX11 is basically DX10, just faster, because it uses multiple cores...or something like that. No actual graphical improvements are to be expected, at least no huge. DX11 is mainy about improving performance.

Guest Slinky
Whatever. More interesting though is that DX11 is supposed to improve performance even with DX10 cards.

I wouldn't count on that. DX10 was supposed to be a lot faster than DX9. If it is, I can't see it.

Just finished Mirrors Edge. The reviewers who said its "too much trial and error" were full of it, since only the last level could see you repeating things too often. The game is fluid, the graphics great, the music is wonderful and overall the game is very very good. The average ratings dont do it justice.

There were a couple other sections that I remember having to repeat a fair number of times, although that was mainly because I was ignoring everyone and not even trying to knock them out. Coming out of the storm drains was one such location because of that damned barbed wire fence. The other section was on the boat. That level is impossible to complete just running past people.

I liked the camera, it was like NWN2 only functional. I used the WASD for movement and the mouse for small corrections to the camera. As for the combat rules I don't think you need to understand them at all, the corresponding attributes are highlighted when you look at a weapons skill so what you need to invest in becomes obvious... Its all fairly simple with nonmagic characters, as for magic ones, I havent tried one yet.

It's the attack/parry system that's a bit wacko in the beginning... to make your attack succeed, you must roll below your attack value... but regardless of your chance of success enemies will parry/dodge by simply rolling below their own parry/dodge value... making it technically possible for a beggar with a rusty dagger to beat a knight in heavy armor with a 2 metre claymore.

But it is interesting since it makes mages at least as powerful in melee as soldiers/warriors... not to mention it makes every fight keeping you on your toes.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I liked the camera, it was like NWN2 only functional. I used the WASD for movement and the mouse for small corrections to the camera. As for the combat rules I don't think you need to understand them at all, the corresponding attributes are highlighted when you look at a weapons skill so what you need to invest in becomes obvious... Its all fairly simple with nonmagic characters, as for magic ones, I havent tried one yet.

It's the attack/parry system that's a bit wacko in the beginning... to make your attack succeed, you must roll below your attack value... but regardless of your chance of success enemies will parry/dodge by simply rolling below their own parry/dodge value... making it technically possible for a beggar with a rusty dagger to beat a knight in heavy armor with a 2 metre claymore.

But it is interesting since it makes mages at least as powerful in melee as soldiers/warriors... not to mention it makes every fight keeping you on your toes.

There must be something to balance it out, I never saw inferior enemies parrying more successfully than my PC.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

i just bought batman arkham asylum.

when confronted with too many choices, I elected the secret final option (buy a new game)

hope its good!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Wolfenstein. Its the exact opposite of what I expected. I expected an absolutely awesome multiplayer with a ho-hum single player. The single player is shockingly good and the multiplayer is a huge disapointment. It doesn't build on Enemy Territory or Quake Wars and instead is more a direct sequel to RtCW multiplayer (Smaller maps with fewer objectives). Not only that but the Covert Ops and Field Ops classes have been removed. Instead the soldier gets sort of a 'magic' variation of the Field Ops air strike, the covert ops' satchel charge and the engineer gets the field ops' ability to pass out ammo packs. You also no longer play as Americans vs. Germans but instead play as Resistance Germans vs. Nazi Germans so no American weapons at all. Its still fun, just not the epic update I was hoping for. :thumbsup:

Also on weapons: It pisses me off that you can't use American weapons in the single player atleast. The box cover shows BJ with a thompson on the back and in game at various weapon shops you can see American guns like the BAR, Colt 1911 & Bazooka but can't actually use them. Either they are saving these guns for DLC, the weapons were cancelled or they are just a bunch of teases.

One thing especially nice for those tired of seeing no redeemable qualities for Germans in WWII games is that you work very heavily with the German resistance in Wolfenstein. In fact, BJ is the only American in the entire game, not including the director and his assitant in an opening cutscene. The game takes place in a large German town and feels more like a civil war. There are also Russians in the game but they are part of an occult group and seem more interested in studying occulty things.

The shooting in the game just feels right with tight controls and the weapons feel great. Game is also quite brutal, which shouldn't be too much of a surprise as the game comes from Raven (Wolverine game & Soldier of Fortune games).

The veil powers are an interesting addition to a Wolfenstein game. They basically give you magic powers. Your amulet allows you to see this other dimension, highlighting enemies, almost like a supernatural night vision. It also features the mandatory bullet time mode, a shield and a quad damage like empower mode. Each mode drains power which can only be regained by standing in veil pools scattered throughout the game. It may sound a bit corny, but these powers become vital in harder difficulties and are actually fun to use. I don't like that they added some powers to multiplayer though. The single player makes enemy veil users farely rare and yet multiplayer features all the single player average soldiers with their own veil powers. Soldiers get Veil Strike, basically a magic version of an airstrike from previous wolf mp games. Engineers get Veil Speed (run faster), basically turning them into a scout like class. Medics get veil heal which slowly heals buddies within a certain distance.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Simply fantastic. It reminds me a bit of Butcher Bay, but on steroids. Detective mode rocks.

Actually, I'd say the good bits of butcher bay and Assassins Creed thrown in a blender, then a slapchop, then baked into a cake.

It's really that awesome.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm almost at the end of my Baldur's Gate series run. The only thing I have left to complete is the final area. Hurray Ascension!

Party composition is:

PC Ranger/Cleric 13/27

Minsc

Kelsey

Imoen

Sarevok Fighter/Thief 17/21

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get Sarevok up high enough to grab UAI for him so he doesn't get to use Carsomyr +6, or scrolls of Mislead/Invisibility/Spell Immunity for huge backstabs with Staff of the Ram +6. Instead he's using the upgraded Gram and 8 attacks per round with improved haste. Who needs 10 attacks for one round with Greater Whirlwind when you can have 7-8 with Improved Haste and have it last for 2 turns? Unfortunately I seem to have completely used up my rod of resurrection so I can't recharge it for the final battle.

I'm almost at the end of my Baldur's Gate series run. The only thing I have left to complete is the final area. Hurray Ascension!

Party composition is:

PC Ranger/Cleric 13/27

Minsc

Kelsey

Imoen

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get Sarevok up high enough to grab UAI for him so he doesn't get to use Carsomyr +6, or scrolls of Mislead/Invisibility/Spell Immunity for huge backstabs with Staff of the Ram +6. Instead he's using the upgraded Gram and 8 attacks per round with improved haste. Who needs 10 attacks for one round with Greater Whirlwind when you can have 7-8 with Improved Haste and have it last for 2 turns? Unfortunately I seem to have completely used up my rod of resurrection so I can't recharge it for the final battle.

I think I'll start BGII again with a wild mage. Never tried that before. :lol:

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Hm, Venetica is coming out next week. It looks kinda interesting. For those who wonder: http://www.venetica-game.com/

Another game that's about to slip under the radar of most people outside Germany, it seems. It comes out on 4 September only in the German speaking part of Europe. Looks good, seems like a fantasy version of BG&E.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Party composition is:

PC Ranger/Cleric 13/27

Minsc

Kelsey

Imoen

There's a pretty nice addon pack for the wild mage with extra craziness. I think it's this one.

Party composition is:

PC Ranger/Cleric 13/27

Minsc

Kelsey

Imoen

There's a pretty nice addon pack for the wild mage with extra craziness. I think it's this one.

Nice... I'll check it out.

logosig2.jpg