Dragon Age Origins

The only 3 classes are Warrior, Rogue and Mage? D:

Just like in almost all wRPGs no matter how much they try to cover it up.

I like this personally, the endless character creation choices that amount to nothing in DnD 3.5 just kept getting on my nerves.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I like this personally, the endless character creation choices that amount to nothing in DnD 3.5 just kept getting on my nerves.

I'd say it depends on the system. In World of Warcraft (yes, I know you hate it, but almost everyone knows the game) I'd say playing a hunter is sufficiently different than playing a warrior, rogue, or mage because of the focus on traps and using your pet. Between multiclassing and prestige classes, I think 3.5 pretty much tossed the idea of class purity out the window anyway.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I really like the idea of a few base classes customise via skill trees. 3.5E D&D was starting to get silly with all the prestige classes.

I just don't know how it will work in DA - can I make a warrior with some rogue-ish twist of a magically-gifted rogue? In any case, this is one of the design decisions I think was extremely good and flew in the face of expectations in a good way.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Spellcasting is only for the mage class. There are specilization classes for each class - I listed them a page or so ago - but we don't know what they are yet. There are class abilities (which don't overlap), class talent (both the rogue and warrior have a duel wield talent tree), and skills, which everyone has.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

"It's a crappy deal for gamers though"

Many games disagree with you. If people are willing to buy, it's a good thing. period. btw, This sin't a personal opinion as I don't go for DLC but I find it hilarious that 'customers' can accuse anyone of greed when customers are the greediest, most selfish, most evil creature on the planet. Companies actually do a worthwhile service while all customers do is whine, and cry about soemthing not being enough, demanding more, wanting to pay less (or nothing at all), and on, and on. The only useful thing about customers is money. Otherwise, they're little punks who deserved to be ridiculed, pited, and hated.

Anyone who claims that BG is less balck and white compared to BIO's newer games are just being silly. BG2 is way more black and white than JE, ME, and likely KOTOR. Seriously, ME allows you to allow the Council die and then allows you to justify it. There's nothing in BG or BG2 that is even close to that 'gray'.

And, oh, ALL of BIO's games have a personal element to them except with the possible exception of NWN. *shrug*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd say it depends on the system. In World of Warcraft (yes, I know you hate it, but almost everyone knows the game) I'd say playing a hunter is sufficiently different than playing a warrior, rogue, or mage because of the focus on traps and using your pet. Between multiclassing and prestige classes, I think 3.5 pretty much tossed the idea of class purity out the window anyway.

Possibly, I've only watched people play WoW so I wouldn't know. Of course its not impossible to offer a different class, its just not usually attempted in any meaningful way.

All I was saying is that - that is one part of Dragon Age I don't mind is missing if it is balanced out by quality content.

Stats, character builds and all that I like only as far as they don't become burdensome and detract from the gameplay.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Companies actually do a worthwhile service while all customers do is whine, and cry about soemthing not being enough, demanding more, wanting to pay less (or nothing at all), and on, and on. The only useful thing about customers is money. Otherwise, they're little punks who deserved to be ridiculed, pited, and hated.

Dude, a career in retail middle-management beckons.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Eh, a day in customer service might cause the mildest of people to characterize customers as whiny b*tches. Middle-management is more likely to give platatudes like 'the customer is always right' or 'we have to give 110%!'

^ Vol's rant is the strategy, the shop staff simply deliver it tactically.

As for my views on DLC - they remain unchanged. I'll happily pay full price for a proper XP, what I don't like is the idea of a balkanised game where you pay five pounds here and ten pounds there for piecemeal content. I read the link on your Wiki to a Biowarian discussing the DLC plan for the next two years and thought:

(a) Two years? Cool, well done Bio.

BUT

(b) Shame you've chosen to deliver it via this method. I'm not bitching - I remember when Tales of the Sword Coast was being developed in tandem with BG1, the intention being to deliver it as an XP. That's great, TotSC was a chunky, good quality XP and worth every penny - it wasn't like BG1 wasn't big enough as it was. Yet people still moaned that it was cynical that it was being developed so aerly and not included in BG! I'm certainly not one of those!

The DA approach looks different and strangely diffused.

OTOH, the Bethseda FO3 strategy looks acceptable to me - it's modular.

I'm wondering if Bio's experience with NWN might have informed this decision (let's face it, it must have done). After all, I remember reading grandoise plans for that, the mods released to buy were pretty grim - were they the best way to focus the development effort that went into them?

I know that Bio have put a lot of effort to get the top mod-makers on board early with this (e.g. Adam Miller and so on) which is a great idea and for me shows much promise. I'm really excited about the longevity of DA not because of official content - I want to see the sort of effort that went into the NWN1 modding community turn this into something really substantial that we'll all be playing for years. That's one of the reasons why I'm so interested in DA, despite my reservations and criticism of so many other elements.

Cheers

MC

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

A month or so ago, Mary Kerby and Sheryl Chee joked that Mary had turned the Followers into Sims 3 characters. A poster as the BioWare forum (who I noticed joined today) found this Flicker account, the images being that of DA's followers as Sims.

I have no idea if this is legit or not, but it's very amusing.

Edited by Maria Caliban

Guest Slinky
A month or so ago, Mary Kerby and Sheryl Chee joked that Mary had turned the Followers into Sims 3 characters. A poster as the BioWare forum (who I noticed joined today) found this Flicker account, the images being that of DA's followers as Sims.

I have no idea if this is legit or not, but it's very amusing.

Hah, Morrigan looks slightly more Claudia Black than real Morrigan. Any bets how long it takes before some perv mods Morrigan into Aeryn Sun when DA is released? I put my money on 7 days.

Guest PoziomyPion

I like the critic_from_the_codex picture. =]

I wonder if those pictures are supposed to tell us sometging about those characters.

As for the DLC discussion, I'm totally down with DLC. I prefer to buy it when the DLC is released on disc. I find 15 US dollars for a DLC pack a bit steep, though, unless if of course adds about 20-30 hours of gameplay. But we'll see.

DLC secures an additionel income to the devs. (and the publishers) as well as a steady income; they get revenue (paid) for the DLC. This means Bioware

won't be needing to fire anyone.... which is a good thing, imo =]

DLC on a disk is a feeble attempt to appease the retailers so that they don't get too angry over the money they don't get from DLC.

If the DLC is good, sure it's nice to support the developer, but more often than not it's either a way to screw over the second-hand market(the $15 DA DLC) or squeeze a few extra bucks out of the stuff that was cut from the game.

Bethesda is doing it right with FO3 DLC, but EA has mostly been releasing crappy skins and other meaningless content. Let's hope that Bioware actually puts some effort into this.

And now there's Mage Preview on that German site as well. It seems they're getting all the origins.

Put that sucker through google translate and voila, somewhat understandable English.

And now there's Mage Preview on that German site as well. It seems they're getting all the origins.

He looks like a half-motivated foot-soldier put into a mage robe.

He looks like he doesn't really want to be a Mage, but just went with it. I just love the look on his face, "maybe if I throw a fireball there, I can go and have some nice warm coffee".

Also reminds me of this PA strip:

20040220h.jpg

Edited by Purkake