Borderlands

Purkake

• 3 years later...

This was news to me so I figure it may be useful to some of you as well. The shift codes Gearbox give away through facebook and twitter have a fairly long lifespan and all the pc codes listed here  worked for me just now and I have 19 extra gold keys.

Edited by Serrano

This was news to me so I figure it may be useful to some of you as well. The shift codes Gearbox give away through facebook and twitter have a fairly long lifespan and all the pc codes listed here  worked for me just now and I have 19 extra gold keys.

You can also use several tricks using your .profile file to get, in effect, unlimited keys. ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Thank you.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

If you're playing with Steam, check the Steam guides section of the overlay. I got 20 keys from what they listed there. It's probably the same as the IGN list with an expired.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You can also use several tricks using your .profile file to get, in effect, unlimited keys. ;)

You can also get 100% orange drops, too. There are a lot of things you can do.

I'm still annoyed about the inventory (or at least the town bank) space. I know you can either cheatengine your way or use some game glitches to store more stuff, but then I'd always be paranoid that some patch would = a lot of stuff lost or something. I'll stick to having 12 mules instead.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Meh, editing the drops seems like it would take away from the fun of the game while getting keys allows you to not worry about wasting them (i.e. using some with a character you don't like or using them too early). 

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Cheating to that extent, imo, does ruin the "fun" of a game. At least, in terms of item hunting.

But I don't even use the keys. I freely admit I used the bin file cheat once to check that chest out/what its potential really was (2 legit keys don't do it), but I'd rather just find stuff on my own. I'm weird that way. I don't even like trading, heh. All I used willowtree (BL1) for was inventory space, because I'm a collector.

That said, the current trend in games such as these to have drop rates (even for the not-the-highest-tier stuff) that are insanely low/rare is becoming a bit annoying.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Meh, editing the drops seems like it would take away from the fun of the game while getting keys allows you to not worry about wasting them (i.e. using some with a character you don't like or using them too early).

Yeah, it does. But on the other hand, the drop rates for the highest-end gear can be astronomically low, and that's been getting worse over time. They've been decreasing drop rates and instituting limits on how often you can fight certain raid bosses (which are the only enemies with a significant chance of dropping the aforementioned gear.) They've created a situation where the only legitimate way to get the gear is to grind, but they're doing more and more to stop players from grinding.

Cheating to that extent, imo, does ruin the "fun" of a game. At least, in terms of item hunting.

But I don't even use the keys. I freely admit I used the bin file cheat once to check that chest out/what its potential really was (2 legit keys don't do it), but I'd rather just find stuff on my own. I'm weird that way. I don't even like trading, heh. All I used willowtree (BL1) for was inventory space, because I'm a collector.

That said, the current trend in games such as these to have drop rates (even for the not-the-highest-tier stuff) that are insanely low/rare is becoming a bit annoying.

The game stops being fun once you've hit level 50, anyway. Even with top-tier stuff like lv50 Legendary class mods, lv50 orange guns, lv50 orange shields, lv50 blood of the seraphs, etc. everyone is getting knocked down into fight for your life a dozen or more times because all the enemies are 3+ levels above 50 in the endgame areas and DLC, if entered at that point. The stress of that is compounded by the fact that you have nothing to gain but loot, and you know it's all going to be garbage until you've cleared the DLC and gained access to the raid boss/es after the end.

I'm playing Borderlands 2 with 3 friends of mine, each using a different class. I'm around level 34 now as a Gunzerker.

It's a fun game with lots of humor. I wish there were more active skills that each class could utilize though.

That's what the skill trees are for. e.g. Maya: Harmony can let her change her Phaselock to revive fallen party members and add a slag projectile to her melee attack. Movement can allow Phaselock to act like a singularity grenade and suck enemies toward the targeted enemy or even to make an enemy turn on his comrades for a time instead of simply being paralyzed. Cataclysm can make it cause all types of elemental damage to the victim.

Anyway, the point, broadly, is cohesion between the different classes in co-op, not a broad range of character abilities for each class. For instance, it's nearly impossible for Maya to solo any major/raid boss because her phaselock doesn't work on any of them (instead it deals a puny amount of damage, at lv50 it's usually around 10-20k to enemies who have hundreds of millions of HP,) whereas Salvador or Zero can do it relatively easily depending on the player.

I think Azure might have been wishing more for something a bit more Diablo like skill tree wise. Less that there's one non-gun skill that you augment in your manner of choosing, and more that that there are separate ones that you could use back and forth. But I could be wrong.

I'd agree about some classes being able to do the raid type bosses solo better than others. I think that was at least somewhat true in the first game as well (outside of the cheese-cheat spot). Which I was fine with when there was only that one "raid" boss and there were plenty of other ways to get good gear that worked great (even if not the utmost top gear available). But...

They've created a situation where the only legitimate way to get the gear is to grind, but they're doing more and more to stop players from grinding.

...because of this, that's no longer true in BL2. I've pretty much given up on getting even the basic Legendaries. I might find one once in a while from a first-kill of a plot boss, but since I can't kill Terra or any of the others alone and I'm not going to gamble for 10000 hours, I play the game as if they don't exist. Which is a marked contrast from BL1, where I could and did find the orange weapons from regular combat or the machines frequently enough to be satisfying/helpful to run-through of the game itself (vs. just grind farming later).

Hubby and I tried to defeat the "raid boss" thingie at the end of the Hammerlock DLC (this in playthru1, lvl 36ish or so) with a Gunzerker/Commando, and that did not work at all. Now some of this is definitely due to us not being the best players for that sort of fight, but anyway...I had a feeling about the direction Gearbox was going to go in from General Knoxx, and they just keep moving further in that direction. :)

For hubby and I, who like to start over anyway, at least we can make new characters and play the game together up to PT2 Warrior and then just do it again. That's been fun enough for the most part - hubby doesn't care about raid-boss or farming/finding the "best" items so he's fine, and if he's fine that's all I care about right now. Still, I'm not sure I'd buy a BL3 at this point.

I think Azure might have been wishing more for something a bit more Diablo like skill tree wise. Less that there's one non-gun skill that you augment in your manner of choosing, and more that that there are separate ones that you could use back and forth. But I could be wrong.

I'd agree about some classes being able to do the raid type bosses solo better than others. I think that was at least somewhat true in the first game as well (outside of the cheese-cheat spot). Which I was fine with when there was only that one "raid" boss and there were plenty of other ways to get good gear that worked great (even if not the utmost top gear available). But...

They've created a situation where the only legitimate way to get the gear is to grind, but they're doing more and more to stop players from grinding.

...because of this, that's no longer true in BL2. I've pretty much given up on getting even the basic Legendaries. I might find one once in a while from a first-kill of a plot boss, but since I can't kill Terra or any of the others alone and I'm not going to gamble for 10000 hours, I play the game as if they don't exist. Which is a marked contrast from BL1, where I could and did find the orange weapons from regular combat or the machines frequently enough to be satisfying/helpful to run-through of the game itself (vs. just grind farming later).

Hubby and I tried to defeat the "raid boss" thingie at the end of the Hammerlock DLC (this in playthru1, lvl 36ish or so) with a Gunzerker/Commando, and that did not work at all. Now some of this is definitely due to us not being the best players for that sort of fight, but anyway...I had a feeling about the direction Gearbox was going to go in from General Knoxx, and they just keep moving further in that direction. :)

For hubby and I, who like to start over anyway, at least we can make new characters and play the game together up to PT2 Warrior and then just do it again. That's been fun enough for the most part - hubby doesn't care about raid-boss or farming/finding the "best" items so he's fine, and if he's fine that's all I care about right now. Still, I'm not sure I'd buy a BL3 at this point.

I soloed Terramorphous with Maya before they instituted the once-a-day limit using the Conference Call + The Bee (pre-nerf,) and the spot where its projectile attacks can't hit you. Couldn't even dent Hyperious. When I had a 4-member co-op team against him, everyone but the Gunzerker got killed and then the Gunzerker soloed him with no trouble (at level 50.) The worst part is that he only drops about 12 Seraph Crystals on average, meaning you have to kill him at least 10 times to get just one Seraph-class item, all of which are bad compared (save relic which has no downside,) to the standard Orange legendaries. And now they've made the drop rates of legendary items in Normal mode even lower. You can't even get Seraph Crystals from DLC raid bosses in Normal mode now, even if you've never unlocked True Vault Hunter mode. The thing is, you have to have high level purple or better loot to really stand a chance in the late-game portions of TVHM, since pretty much every enemy from the Eridium Blight onward is level 50+. Keeping in mind that the level cap is 50.

Anyway, I agree that the most fun is in playing from the start over again, sort of like in New Vegas. The DLCs throw off the game balance, but they instituted a degree of level-scaling in one of the updates. Without playing the DLC, Normal mode feels like the right gameplay balance, even though Gearbox maintains that TVHM is the way the game is meant to be played/experienced.

Ok, too much metagame for me, and speaking of replaying the game from the start, now I'd rather just complain about the overrated writing. The humor is phenomenal, the main storyline writing is mediocre at best. The worst part is how they made Lilith clingy and desperate for Roland, who is the most blandly written bland character in the recent history of blandness. If you equated his charisma and personality to a color, it would be taupe. Lilith might as well be clingy and desperate for the attention of a wooden plank with plot exposition and mission objectives written on it.

Edited by AGX-17

The worst part is how they made Lilith clingy and desperate for Roland, who is the most blandly written bland character in the recent history of blandness. If you equated his charisma and personality to a color, it would be taupe. Lilith might as well be clingy and desperate for the attention of a wooden plank with plot exposition and mission objectives written on it.

:lol:

Yeah, I didn't like that aspect either. I love the humor in the first game, and it's still pretty good/funny in the 2nd. But the rest ... well, they should just stick to the humor.

@LadyCrimson, yes that is what I meant. I feel like most of the skills for Gunzerker are passive and I just wait around for gunzerk to be active again so I can rush out and shoot things in the face with two shotguns. That is pretty entertaining by itself though and I'm having a lot of fun. 

Just relating a "raid boss" experience:

After my "whining" that I couldn't kill Terra alone (not that I've tried it dozens of times or anything, just a few) and how I disliked that I couldn't remove the quest from my list, last night hubby was finally game to try it with me. We took our 50 Axton/Maya combo in. When we first dropped in, we tried staying more out in the open or behind those center rocks and lasted about 5 minutes, until hubby got knocked off the edge (insta-death) and couldn't run back in time before I was smooshed by giant tentacles tossing boulders. :)

2nd try and this time I tried to stay in that spot near the exit gate, behind the rock, hubby standing above and behind me most of the time. This kept me largely, but not entirely, safe (those stupid tossed boulders and the occasional laser beam force you out of it to dodge/run), so I could turn around and Revive/heal hubby behind me when he went down (which was very often). Hubs died a few more times (sucked in by that whirly effect once, knocked off edge again a few times) but I managed to stay alive/get 2nd winds til he could run back. Probably took 20+ minutes, with risky dashing out in the middle to try to grab ammo occasionally.

I swear the only thing that works well when the tentacles come up is the orange "pinging" Conference shotgun that I have. I love that shotgun+shotgun max ammo relic. I'm quite sure without hubs there I'd still find it impossible because that semi-safe spot is not safe enough, and it would take too darn long to kill the thing, so I'd die at some point/fail to get a 2nd wind/run out of ammo. Terra dropped a Legendary Commando Mod (not in pic), nothing else of interest. Sadly, hubby's response to our difficult but successful efforts was "I think I'm happy to know we've done it...I don't feel a need to do it again." ... so that'll probably be the first/only time we do it. :lol:

tldr : Thanks to my husband's help, I finally got that stupid "YouWillDie" quest off my Siren's GUI.

BL2-000139.jpg

Heh, yup. That's how BL rolls. A lot of it is dollar/cash bits, but there's a lot of items. Most of which are vendor trash, per usual in this type of game. ;)

Just relating a "raid boss" experience:

After my "whining" that I couldn't kill Terra alone (not that I've tried it dozens of times or anything, just a few) and how I disliked that I couldn't remove the quest from my list, last night hubby was finally game to try it with me. We took our 50 Axton/Maya combo in. When we first dropped in, we tried staying more out in the open or behind those center rocks and lasted about 5 minutes, until hubby got knocked off the edge (insta-death) and couldn't run back in time before I was smooshed by giant tentacles tossing boulders. :)

2nd try and this time I tried to stay in that spot near the exit gate, behind the rock, hubby standing above and behind me most of the time. This kept me largely, but not entirely, safe (those stupid tossed boulders and the occasional laser beam force you out of it to dodge/run), so I could turn around and Revive/heal hubby behind me when he went down (which was very often). Hubs died a few more times (sucked in by that whirly effect once, knocked off edge again a few times) but I managed to stay alive/get 2nd winds til he could run back. Probably took 20+ minutes, with risky dashing out in the middle to try to grab ammo occasionally.

I swear the only thing that works well when the tentacles come up is the orange "pinging" Conference shotgun that I have. I love that shotgun+shotgun max ammo relic. I'm quite sure without hubs there I'd still find it impossible because that semi-safe spot is not safe enough, and it would take too darn long to kill the thing, so I'd die at some point/fail to get a 2nd wind/run out of ammo. Terra dropped a Legendary Commando Mod (not in pic), nothing else of interest. Sadly, hubby's response to our difficult but successful efforts was "I think I'm happy to know we've done it...I don't feel a need to do it again." ... so that'll probably be the first/only time we do it. :lol:

tldr : Thanks to my husband's help, I finally got that stupid "YouWillDie" quest off my Siren's GUI.

BL2-000139.jpg

Conference Call + The Bee is the standard solo method for dealing with Terramorphous.

I figured it might be ... or at least, the shotgun part. It dropped during my very first 1st-kill of PT2 Warrior so I've had it a while. I've never found a Bee so...but this week has been not bad for finding Legendaries for some reason. Even Flynt dropped his Thunderball Fists pistol or whatever that is. For lvl4, it's pretty decent. :)

I figured it might be ... or at least, the shotgun part. It dropped during my very first 1st-kill of PT2 Warrior so I've had it a while. I've never found a Bee so...but this week has been not bad for finding Legendaries for some reason. Even Flynt dropped his Thunderball Fists pistol or whatever that is. For lvl4, it's pretty decent. :)

Well, the Conference Call is specifically the weapon of choice because when it hits Terramorphous' eyes (the critical spots on that particular creature,) the shots that fire out sideways hit right in that location, with the spread of a close-range shot, effectively tripling the critical damage dealt.

And The Bee is dropped by that Hyperion propaganda radio guy. I haven't tried Terramorphous since The Bee's nerf though, so I can't testify to its current effectiveness.

Edited by AGX-17