Borderlands

Purkake

unlike a normal fps where you cant do anything to make your quest easier.
Personally I like getting better at a game than the character outgrowing the challenge. Unless we're talking I want to be the guy hard.

Borderlands lets people like me become more skilled/better, tho, w/out having to become so frustrated we toss the game in the garbage first before we reach that point.

I'll take your word for it. :lol:

Well like entrerix said, you can play Borderlands how you want so it works for most player skill levels. If you want to tackle all the hard guys when the quests are orange, you're free to do so. Or not.

I've been starting all the main quests a level or so higher than the quest stated level, when they're still 'green,' then often killing the actual boss+quest reward puts it over the top. So the timing for me has worked out well. Getting there is still a moderate challenge and I always try the boss the regular way first. It's hard to learn FPS boss fights in 10 second frantic encounters and I don't consider dying 50 times a very fun way to learn - which I've done before in other pure FPS I've done. Meh... :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heh, started out yesterday and after an hour of gameplay I was at level 4-ish. Just running around, minding my business when all of a sudden I run into one of those full grown dog things. Well He bit me once, lost all of my shields most of my health. I ran all the way into the starting town with it on my heels, and just when I reach the place where you respawn it kills me. I respawn, it one shots me.

I had to lure it away, one metre at a time into a corner out of sight from the respawn spot. Lost all my money. I think I like this game.

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

Heh, started out yesterday and after an hour of gameplay I was at level 4-ish. Just running around, minding my business when all of a sudden I run into one of those full grown dog things. Well He bit me once, lost all of my shields most of my health. I ran all the way into the starting town with it on my heels, and just when I reach the place where you respawn it kills me. I respawn, it one shots me.

I had to lure it away, one metre at a time into a corner out of sight from the respawn spot. Lost all my money. I think I like this game.

that is some pretty bad, but funny, luck. it also so happens that almost the exact same thing happened to me on my first playthrough, but i was eventually able to whittle the dog down to death via constant respawns.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Heheh....had a few things like that happen early on too. Fun stuff.

Skagzilla for me was the easiest mini-boss for me to do. No cheap/sniper oriented methods there...didn't take much ammo, but I had a beefy shotgun. The next boss was harder/had my usual troubles but I'm now in the trash-town of New Haven. Pew, smelly. o:)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Skagzilla for me was the easiest mini-boss for me to do. No cheap/sniper oriented methods there...didn't take much ammo, but I had a beefy shotgun. The next boss was harder/had my usual troubles but I'm now in the trash-town of New Haven. Pew, smelly. ;)

This is incredibly not a spoiler unless you are crazy crazy about things that aren't spoilers actually being spoilers, but I'll put spoiler tags on it anyway.

There are a number of red chests in New Haven and its environs that are easy to get to after you spawn in there. Worth checking out once a game, anyway. Check out "New Haven Farming" on youtube for some vids - some of the chests are pretty sneakily hid.

Matthew Rorie

Skagzilla for me was the easiest mini-boss for me to do. No cheap/sniper oriented methods there...didn't take much ammo, but I had a beefy shotgun. The next boss was harder/had my usual troubles but I'm now in the trash-town of New Haven. Pew, smelly. ;)

This is incredibly not a spoiler unless you are crazy crazy about things that aren't spoilers actually being spoilers, but I'll put spoiler tags on it anyway.

There are a number of red chests in New Haven and its environs that are easy to get to after you spawn in there. Worth checking out once a game, anyway. Check out "New Haven Farming" on youtube for some vids - some of the chests are pretty sneakily hid.

i found a FANTASTIC rifle in one of these chests, so i support checking them frequently

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i found a FANTASTIC rifle in one of these chests, so i support checking them frequently

Yeah, I got a lvl 43 Pele's Sacrifice sniper rifle in one of them last night. Almost 600 damage, plus it sets everything near your target on fire. WIKKID SICK.

Matthew Rorie

Found some of them already I think. ;)

Do you know what the level 'cap' is for items in chests & area? That is, y'know how Diablo areas could only drop certain ilvls of items and that's it, that sort of thing? Or can almost any big chest randomly pop out something really high, based on what chr lvl you are when you open it?

Edit:Based on my tiny experience, it doesn't seem entirely random, in that chests in certain areas seem to have better odds of spawning a good item, but I wonder if chr lvl affects anything. One of the ones near Skagzilla popped out my first orange item. :D

Edited by LadyCrimson

ive got two characters on level 25 and have found no orange items ever ;)

Found some of them already I think. ;)

Do you know what the level 'cap' is for items in chests & area? That is, y'know how Diablo areas could only drop certain ilvls of items and that's it, that sort of thing? Or can almost any big chest randomly pop out something really high, based on what chr lvl you are when you open it?

Edit:Based on my tiny experience, it doesn't seem entirely random, in that chests in certain areas seem to have better odds of spawning a good item, but I wonder if chr lvl affects anything. One of the ones near Skagzilla popped out my first orange item. :D

I think they will pop out at a certain level based on the area they're based in. So if you bring a level 50 guy back to a Playthrough 1 Arid Badlands chest, it'd probably pop out some level 5 thing. I have encountered some chests that have popped out stuff well above my level (think I found a 23 when I was 19, and a 43 when I was at 39, and I think it was from the same chest in diff playthrough, actually), so I imagine if you brought a lowbie character into a high-level game you'd find a bunch of stuff that you couldn't even use.

And yeah, I've noticed that some chests do have a better chance at good items than others. It's weird. There's one near the start of the game across from the first Arena area, in a bunch of shacks suspended over a gorge, that seems to be pretty lucky to me.

Matthew Rorie

ive got two characters on level 25 and have found no orange items ever ;)

That sucks, but probably not impossible. They are pretty rare. You'll find one eventually - I have found them almost exclusively in chests. Don't think I've ever seen one drop.

I do think it kind of sucks that most of the bosses drop the same weapon every time you kill them. Part of the fun of Diablo was doing boss runs. But here it looks like you get the same purple weapon from the dudes you kill every time you take them out.

Matthew Rorie

ive got two characters on level 25 and have found no orange items ever :)

That sucks, but probably not impossible. They are pretty rare.

Yeah, I've only found two of them so far (and I gave both of them away as they were a) not my preferred weapon and b) worse than the purple items I was using). ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

If anyone is interested in picking up this game, PM me.

I picked up the 4 pack with some friends and have one copy remaining.

This is on steam by the way ;)

Wait. WHAT? How do I get it it? We can be like Bonny and Clyde. Times two.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If anyone is interested in picking up this game, PM me.

I picked up the 4 pack with some friends and have one copy remaining.

This is on steam by the way :)

Wait. WHAT? How do I get it it? We can be like Bonny and Clyde. Times two.

Just to be clear, I am selling my extra copy haha. But if you're interested we can try to work out an arrangement. It is CDN$40, and the base game alone on steam is US$50.

--I guess instead of boss runs, one finds the best-chance chests and does chest-runs? :)

--I love the humorous achievements titles.I want to become the Skagpocalypse, only 1200 or so to go. :teehee:

--Got my 3rd orange item last night. The 1st two weren't great, but the 3rd is awesome for my level. A 200+ dmg caustic-x4 revolver that messily 1-shots a lot of critters. It's now my close-combat weapon.

--my playthrough w/hunter seems disproportionately obsessed with revolvers, and I noticed there doesn't seem to be a revolver skill stat like for other weapons. Interesting?

im still in search of the "perfect" weapon for my playstyle, so far it seems to be a high damage high accuracy assault rifle with a good rate of fire, scope, and a huge magazine.

aim at their head and watch the criticals fly

i tend to like snipers with a high damage and a rof of about 1 (more and i waste shots, less and i get annoyed)

i like high rof smgs that cause explosions... boomboomboomboom

i haven't yet found a purpose for revolvers, up close i prefer a rifle or smg, long range a sniper. which is weird because i normally like revolvers and shotguns in most shooters.... hmmmm

what weapons are you finding yourself using most often?

Sniper rifle is always 1st choice when I can do distance. I don't find a faster RoF to be bad, since I'm not the best aimer anyway. More important is how fast it reloads, which isn't always obvious until you actually try it. The weapons stats on descriptions seem lackluster...sometimes you can't tell how fast/good one will be until you actually use it.

Shotguns w/low to middling accuracy & revolvers, for most fast things that like to rush you. Often 1-shot kill anything up close even w/out criticals, as well as seemingly whittle boss lifebars down tons faster than most, so I think of them as 'panic weapons.'

I used smg's/auto rifles/repeater pistols a lot at first and carry them for back up, but since up close it's hard to miss anyway, I'd rather use the extreme 1-2 shot kill dmg. than lots of little burst dmg. Further I go the less I prefer just 1 weapon & use what's best for situation so I don't run out of any 1 type of bullets too fast. High elemental chance seems awesome for mid-range to close up, been getting into that a lot now.

Here's my current four and the SMG I use if I plain run out of the other bullets, heh.

Sniper rifle is always 1st choice when I can do distance. I don't find a faster RoF to be bad, since I'm not the best aimer anyway. More important is how fast it reloads, which isn't always obvious until you actually try it. The weapons stats on descriptions seem lackluster...sometimes you can't tell how fast/good one will be until you actually use it.

Shotguns w/low to middling accuracy & revolvers, for most fast things that like to rush you. Often 1-shot kill anything up close even w/out criticals, as well as seemingly whittle boss lifebars down tons faster than most, so I think of them as 'panic weapons.'

I used smg's/auto rifles/repeater pistols a lot at first and carry them for back up, but since up close it's hard to miss anyway, I'd rather use the extreme 1-2 shot kill dmg. than lots of little burst dmg. Further I go the less I prefer just 1 weapon & use what's best for situation so I don't run out of any 1 type of bullets too fast. High elemental chance seems awesome for mid-range to close up, been getting into that a lot now.

Here's my current four and the SMG I use if I plain run out of the other bullets, heh.

sweet, it looks like we're at about the same place in the game, i like your loadout a lot, especially that revolver, if i had that gun i'd be in love with revolvers too! so far the only good one ive found had a 2 bullet chamber, and frankly i hate that.

Oh yea...what kind of shield do you prefer? I was using the healing ones but I found a 550ish high fire resistance one and w/the hunters heal-after-a-kill skill it's been great. Between that and the revolver changed my gameplay tactics a bit...it's great fun to charge up close, fire in a bandits face and watch them dissolve. :teehee:

my sheild is pretty sweet, its a 486 healing shield, i havent tried any other kind though, i found this a few levels ago and havent looked back!

Bah Sniper rifles never get good scopes, so a great revolver ( they get the best scopes) is far more useful.

Even as a soldier i had 3 revolvers as my main weapons xD 1 with 4x acid, 1 masher ( probably best type of weapon in game, high enough accuracy, highest damage with it's x7 modifier and a decent enough ROF with 1,9 ) and 1 desert justice with underbarrel blade for added melee damage.

I finished today and i can't find anything enjoyable in the game anymore. Finished all the the main and side quests and had a blast for a while but it just got tedious towards the end. Not even duels were fun anymore.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

how many hours of fun did you squeeze out of it before boredom sat in?

titan quest gave me about 10 or 20

diablo 1 about 100

diablo 2 about 200

borderlands so far is 36

left 4 dead about 200

cod 4 about 15

Edited by entrerix