Borderlands

Purkake

And for any Valve game, Steam is the superior option, because it costs less...

Lulz. This is not true - often Valve games are discounted in shops long before Steam lowers the prices. :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Does Borderlands have multiple difficulty levels that you can take your character through, like Diablo does? That would extend the life of the game.

"Thankfully respeccing in "Borderlands" is as easy as spending the cash"

LAME

Edited by Krezack

Lulz. This is not true - often Valve games are discounted in shops long before Steam lowers the prices. :lol:

Anecdotally, that's not true. Steam has always been cheaper for me, even before considering exchange rate issues.

It's not like they're forcing you to respec and the PvP aspect is really minor so it's just a convenience.

I don't know about difficulty settings, but you can replay the game and keep your level and have enemies/loot scaled to your level like Diablo's normal/nightmare/hell.

Anecdotally, that's not true. Steam has always been cheaper for me, even before considering exchange rate issues.

Interesting. I'm in the U.S. so that might be why the prices are so different. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It's not like they're forcing you to respec and the PvP aspect is really minor so it's just a convenience.

I don't know about difficulty settings, but you can replay the game and keep your level and have enemies/loot scaled to your level like Diablo's normal/nightmare/hell.

The lack of respeccing is part of the reason people played Diablo 2 for so long, so many times, as were the multiple difficulty levels. I have a hard time believing Borderlands can come close to matching that.

Times have changed. My first Diablo 2 character was all over the board and didn't fare to well in Hell, it would have been nice to get some respec in there. I'm not the kind of person who replays stuff a million times, especially not with a similar build.

Wanting less options is pretty much always stupid, they are just that, options.

A game's replay value shouldn't be "you screwed up your build. But hey, you can always try again, from the beginning!".

Edited by Purkake

As far as I can tell based on the IGN video review, you can restart the game with your endgame character, and all the monsters and whatnot will have scaled with you. It might not be an explicit difficulty level, but it seems like you can replay it with no issues.

Times have changed. My first Diablo 2 character was all over the board and didn't fare to well in Hell, it would have been nice to get some respec in there. I'm not the kind of person who replays stuff a million times, especially not with a similar build.

Wanting less options is pretty much always stupid, they are just that, options.

A game's replay value shouldn't be "you screwed up your build. But hey, you can always try again, from the beginning!".

What the players think they want is not always what actually makes the game fun. Some things, like respeccing, might make the game more fun the first few times at the expense playthroughs later on.

Interesting. I'm in the U.S. so that might be why the prices are so different. :)

Or it could be that the AUD has skyrocketed. See even though that has happened, we still pay $80-100 for a game in store. So when steam charges $49.95USD for a new game, thats half the price we would pay at a store. However sometimes they inflate the prices(Red Faction/Alpha Protocol $69.99USD.), but I think that has more to do with greedy publishers.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Yes, actually I do have boxed copies of most of my Steam games - although, again, I think the boxed copy is better than a "pure" Steam copy as you can re-install faster with the disc than without one. ;)

You can even backup steam games to disc(s) very easily, eliminating the need to redownload them.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Yes, actually I do have boxed copies of most of my Steam games - although, again, I think the boxed copy is better than a "pure" Steam copy as you can re-install faster with the disc than without one. ;)

You can even backup steam games to disc(s) very easily, eliminating the need to redownload them.

You still need to activate those backups on Steam if you ever want to use them. That's the only thing about Steam that bothers me.

What the players think they want is not always what actually makes the game fun. Some things, like respeccing, might make the game more fun the first few times at the expense playthroughs later on.

Or what is fun for you, isn't for someone else.

Titan Quest had respeccing and I've played that game to death, trying multiple characters. Hell, I've even played it with the same build a couple of times (deleted character, then cahnged my mind and wanted to have a character like that anyway). Just make the skill system varied enough that you'll have new things to try in other classes and replay value won't be an issue.

Not sure how the skills and classes (or if there are any) works in Borderlands, so I can't comment on that game specifically. But I still think respeccing is great and makes the game more fun (without retracting from replay valuee).

I just bought a 4-pack with 3 mates. Another mate is buying a 4-pack and needs some more people. You might be in luck mkreku. If there's a spare copy to gift, I'll buy it and you can Paypal me for it.

Definitely.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mkreku

Damn, I need nerdier friends. I tried to convince my cousin to buy this, but he just wants to game on his PS3. Thinks the PC is too much hassle nowadays.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

so ive played borderlands with my girl now for about 10 hours, we're on level 12 and having tons of fun. easily the best offline splitscreen coop game i've played in years. (online would still go to left4dead, but that game offline gets boring fast)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Still, I like boxes and dislike digital copies. ;)

Don't worry, soon you won't have the choice of a box.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

you can still buy new albums on records in stores. i think boxes are safe for a few more decades.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

you can still buy new albums on records in stores. i think boxes are safe for a few more decades.

We'll see eh!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!