Borderlands

Purkake

Jesus H. Christ on a freaking bicycle!

This game is a co-op dream. I played 8 hours yesterday with a friend, we played as Mordecai(me) and Lilith, eschewing Brick and Roland for a later playthrough and let me tell you; this game grabs you by the nuts. BY THE NUTS, I daresay. It's a gun-fetishist's dreamland, with tons of gaming references, eerie Mad-Max ambiences, honest hack'n'slash gameplay and great on the fly-tactical scenaries thrown together to form a strong adventure feel in a large quasi-open world. And it's full of humour and makes Fallout 3 look and feel like your ugliest and most taciturn in-law, the one who gets served whiskey at parties and then goes at the guest with a knife.

I love how it doesn't hold your hand after the beginning, higher-level mobs are complete murder to take on, but doable with ludicrous special attack use and lots of cover. The areas are interesting and the scope feels so vast, yet they've taken the trouble to put something into every nook and cranny that it never feels empty. At parts the game feels like someone took the Highway 17 level from HL2 and just decided to let the player wander off from the beaten path. No one cares about combine anyway.

All things said, it does have its problems as well. Probably the most dire one is respawning. I imagine it will get borderline infuriating once tedium starts to set in. It's frequent and follows no logic(a cleaned base filling up with goons again once you spent enough time in the innermost chamber fighting the boss mobster) and while it does make the world feel less empty, the frequent attacks on road stops are annoying. You are almost constantly on your toes. Another issue is the skill tree, it requires some metagaming to get the most out of it. Never did I realise, until an avid fan pointed it out, that you have to spend 5 points into the skills of first tier of one skill branch before you gain the next tier. This also, along with the later higher costs(10 to gain the next tier, fifteen to get the last one), seems to result in very specialized characters. Have to play more(14 level Hunter right now) to see this issue come to fruition first though.

Lovely game, i want moar

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Jesus H. Christ on a freaking bicycle!

This game is a co-op dream. I played 8 hours yesterday with a friend, we played as Mordecai(me) and Lilith, eschewing Brick and Roland for a later playthrough and let me tell you; this game grabs you by the nuts. BY THE NUTS, I daresay. It's a gun-fetishist's dreamland, with tons of gaming references, eerie Mad-Max ambiences, honest hack'n'slash gameplay and great on the fly-tactical scenaries thrown together to form a strong adventure feel in a large quasi-open world. And it's full of humour and makes Fallout 3 look and feel like your ugliest and most taciturn in-law, the one who gets served whiskey at parties and then goes at the guest with a knife.

I love how it doesn't hold your hand after the beginning, higher-level mobs are complete murder to take on, but doable with ludicrous special attack use and lots of cover. The areas are interesting and the scope feels so vast, yet they've taken the trouble to put something into every nook and cranny that it never feels empty. At parts the game feels like someone took the Highway 17 level from HL2 and just decided to let the player wander off from the beaten path. No one cares about combine anyway.

All things said, it does have its problems as well. Probably the most dire one is respawning. I imagine it will get borderline infuriating once tedium starts to set in. It's frequent and follows no logic(a cleaned base filling up with goons again once you spent enough time in the innermost chamber fighting the boss mobster) and while it does make the world feel less empty, the frequent attacks on road stops are annoying. You are almost constantly on your toes. Another issue is the skill tree, it requires some metagaming to get the most out of it. Never did I realise, until an avid fan pointed it out, that you have to spend 5 points into the skills of first tier of one skill branch before you gain the next tier. This also, along with the later higher costs(10 to gain the next tier, fifteen to get the last one), seems to result in very specialized characters. Have to play more(14 level Hunter right now) to see this issue come to fruition first though.

Lovely game, i want moar

I plan on getting this for PC. how would it fair as a single player game? Any idea on the supposed length of the game?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I bought it on release day and have been playing all week in single player, I ended up basically having the whole week off from work, so I've got a good near 30 hrs and I've been really liking the single player.. I joined a group for a little while yesterday, and didn't like it so much, mostly cause it was people I didn't know, and a couple of them kept just rushing the enemies and it would just turn into madness.. I'd imagine that playing with people who use some tactics would be a lot of fun, or at least people whose tactics are compatible with your own.. so your not just trying to revive everyone all the time.. But yeah excellent game..

I'm still on my first playthrough, I've done every side quest, and Ive been really taking my time and checking out every little corner and room, they hide a lot of loot in out of the way places.. I hear that most playthroughs take around 15-20 hrs but I've been at it all week and I'm sure I've got 30 hrs into it at least, and I thing I'm like two thirds through the mainquest maybe more....

Edited by bluecollaralaskan

Is it as repetitive as it seems? Generic randomly-generated maps, same type of quests over-and-over and so on ?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Is it as repetitive as it seems? Generic randomly-generated maps, same type of quests over-and-over and so on ?

Did you find Diablo 2 repetitive? Did you find Left 4 Dead repetitive?

If there answer to either of those is 'no', you'll probably like it.

Diablo - very much so, hated it. L4D - not in the first playthrough.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Diablo - very much so, hated it. L4D - not in the first playthrough.

Tried playing a bit with a friend, its EXACTLY like that crappy fps/mmo hybrid that came out a while ago.. Hellgate London except you're in the desert. This **** doesnt belong in the same sentence as L4D, its out of the friggin library.

purkake is right about the left 4 dead dis/similarity.

offline coop splitscreen fps is the only commonality, otherwise its much more diabloish in its nature, set on a wastelandy alien planet.

my girl and i are now on level 20, still having a super awesome time, but i realize now that i dont care for the soldier class (which is my current char) so i'm going to take up the sniper for a while and see how i like it, the problem is that the class differences dont really become clear until around level 15 or so, so i spent a lot of hours only to find that none of the soldier's skills are really my cup of tea. oh well, i've got some badass guns to make up for it...

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well, its the U3 engine so obviously it runs amazingly fast even on ****ty old hardware.