What are you playing now

Gorth

DX:IW ... i wonder if i'll like it any better now that i'm older and less demanding ...

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I got IW off Steam a few years ago, right after playing Deus Ex.

I doubt your feelings will change.

It's an OK game on it's own, but when compared to the original it dies alone and unloved.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Respawns worked great in System Shock 2.

... and i'm getting really sick of DX:IW ... i might as well just dig up DX and play that. It'll even look better.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Respawns can work. It's just that most developers go overboard with them. Plus, I personally like the idea of clearing out an area. I like the sense that I've done something. On the other hand, I can see respawns as a way to show a living world that progresses outside of PC action. On yet a third hand, having the exact same outpost spring back up with folks who act the exact same way as the same unlucky blokes who came before them is not what I'd call a clever way to show a living world.

Respawns worked great in System Shock 2.

... and i'm getting really sick of DX:IW ... i might as well just dig up DX and play that. It'll even look better.

Good idea, might I suggest:

Patches! If you have The Game of the Year edition, you don't need any patches. Otherwise look for the "Deus Ex 1.112fm" patch on the always handy Patches Scroll.

Deus Ex HDTP - This wonderful little mod updates many of the OBJECTS in the game (Plants, walls, people). This mod is still quite old, but they are continuing to work on it.

New Vision Mod - New Vision is an attempt to remake all world textures in Deus Ex at higher resolutions (8x the original size). NOTE: This download is HUGE! So be warned.

OTP UI Fix - this will fix some UI settings when using resolutions such as 1280 x 1024.

Shifter Mod - DRAMA ALERT! DRAMA ALERT! This is a mod which tweaks the game so it may or may not be the thing for you. I have used it before and I really liked it. There is some good and there is some bad (it DOES fix a boat load of bugs), but over all it was enjoyable *to me*. Having played Deus Ex so many times, it was a nice change. Your mileage may vary. Read the summary page to see if it is the mod for you.

The respawn rate in FC2 was somewhat ridiculous, but the game was still very good.

I dealt with the respawns by going around the checkpoints rather than through them and never going back the way I came. WOrked out well enough for me.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

edit: dang dp

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Tnx Jaesun, i already have all that ready on my HD if i'll decide to play DX1. Even Shifter, which i really really like and have been using since it was introduced, in fact i haven't play a vanilla game since then. Skullgun ftw :DD

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Tnx Jaesun, i already have all that ready on my HD if i'll decide to play DX1. Even Shifter, which i really really like and have been using since it was introduced, in fact i haven't play a vanilla game since then. Skullgun ftw :DD

No prob. Just holler if you need help setting those up, or have a problem.

And yea, I love shifter too <3

I'm closing in on the end game in Fallout. I've fixed the water problem. I've joined the BoS. I've got power armor. I found the alien blaster. I also found about 10 grand in cash on the Nuka Cola truck. I've gone to the Glow and completely gutted it of everything and killed all the robots. Really, other than story, there's no reason to do anything anymore. I have to admit, I haven't been to the boneyard yet and I still have to look up north, but I'll have that finished in a jiff. I just wish my energy weapons were higher. No biggie. I'll get at least a couple of levels between now and the toughest fights.

I'm closing in on the end game in Fallout. I've fixed the water problem. I've joined the BoS. I've got power armor. I found the alien blaster. I also found about 10 grand in cash on the Nuka Cola truck. I've gone to the Glow and completely gutted it of everything and killed all the robots. Really, other than story, there's no reason to do anything anymore. I have to admit, I haven't been to the boneyard yet and I still have to look up north, but I'll have that finished in a jiff. I just wish my energy weapons were higher. No biggie. I'll get at least a couple of levels between now and the toughest fights.

You do know waisting a bit of time will effect a number of the cities at the end?

Yeah. I didn't want to speed run it, though. Plus, I think I've saved the Hub, Junktown, Shady Sands, and my own vault, so it's good by me. I also think Necropolis should be okay. Really, only the Boneyard should get the bone, and I don't care about them.

I tried to play Left4Dead on Normal mode and DIED. *sigh* This sucking thing is hard.

It'll get easier, on Expert I was at the point (I've gotten rusty) where the biggest danger was my friends shotguns.

in WoW Atm, working on Yogg-Saron (post pics in the proper thread).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I tried to play Left4Dead on Normal mode and DIED. *sigh* This sucking thing is hard.

It'll get easier, on Expert I was at the point (I've gotten rusty) where the biggest danger was my friends shotguns.

How many times do I have to say I'm sorry. I didn't mean to incap you right in front of that tank. I was just shooting the tank and then someone ran in front of me and the next thing I know you're dead. It wasn't my fault! :(

How many times do I have to say I'm sorry. I didn't mean to incap you right in front of that tank. I was just shooting the tank and then someone ran in front of me and the next thing I know you're dead. It wasn't my fault! ;(

:( When they called you "ol' one shot," I didn't know that was how many it took to incap your allies. :)

How many times do I have to say I'm sorry. I didn't mean to incap you right in front of that tank. I was just shooting the tank and then someone ran in front of me and the next thing I know you're dead. It wasn't my fault! ;(

:) When they called you "ol' one shot," I didn't know that was how many it took to incap your allies. ;(

Oh sure, bring that name up again. Sounds real impressive until everyone learns the real reason behind the name. "One shot eh? You must be great with the hunting rifle. Headshotting smokers and hunters all over, eh?" Then they learn the background and the jokes start rolling in. Before I know it, I have to find another group... cause the old one is dead... :(

Oh sure, bring that name up again. Sounds real impressive until everyone learns the real reason behind the name. "One shot eh? You must be great with the hunting rifle. Headshotting smokers and hunters all over, eh?" Then they learn the background and the jokes start rolling in. Before I know it, I have to find another group... cause the old one is dead... :(

:)

Finally forced myself to finish MotB (the thing had been sitting on a shelf for a year). I feel... stupid. I want my 20 hours back, Obsidian.

I don't have SoZ. Is it worth getting?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

What was wrong with MotB?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What was wrong with MotB?
The "good" ending is clumsy, unfulfilling and pointless. Just watched the evil ending (thanks YouTube), and it's much, much better. Why is this kind of moody stuff so popular? Why is it so prevalent in Obsidian's writing?

Oh, and the handling of epic level stuff isn't very good either. What's the point of being "epic" if every janitor in the Academy is at least your level? Why is a Bear-"God" a pushover and some telthor midget is "Impossible"? I mean, how many Kings of Shadow have those losers killed? But worry not, because they kindly provided a win-button in the shape of a little epic spell called Vampiric Feast.

Bah.

Depends on what you look for in a RPG. If you enjoy a strong story with with interesting NPCs no it's not. If you like to create your own party and explore, then yes it is.
Yeah, I can live without a strong story, if the gameplay makes up for it. How's the exploration? Is there a reason to explore, anyway? Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah, I can live without a strong story, if the gameplay makes up for it. How's the exploration? Is there a reason to explore, anyway?

XP, loot, materials for crafting, companions. If you stick to the main quest you'll get your ass kicked. Enchanted equipment doesn't fall from the sky like it did in OC and MotB.

20795.jpg

So our guild was trying 10-man Ulduar last night and it wasnt pretty. Ignus took our lunch over and over so we gave up and went to the apothacary and that huge guy (cant remember his name). We were rocking for a bit and got at close as 9% but alas, no luck. 100g in repairs and 20g in potions down the toilet.

10 and 25 man Naxx went much smoother and my acquisition of the Dying Curse just about maxed out my Hit, leaving me with only a .5% chance of missing, and it procs like a mofo.

Yeah, I can live without a strong story, if the gameplay makes up for it. How's the exploration? Is there a reason to explore, anyway?

Hmmm, SoZ bullet-point based mini review, with some very small spoilers, follows for your benefit:

* I am biased, I prefer this type of set up. It reminds me of old-skool, fun D&D. Please bear this in mind.

* Clearly, the design ethos was 'lets make Icewind Dale but with an even lighter story and concentrate on loot, making stuff, trading and exploring.' It fulfils this design brief.

* The exploration is fun, based on (i) random encounters (ii) small adventure locations that are there for the sake of them (iii) quest areas (iv) special encounters

* The random combat encounters can get really dull, but you can avoid them on the exploration map. Some of the areas you can explore are too small, Obz could have dumped a largish dungeon in the middle of the jungle quite easily

* It's a low-loot game by D&D computer game standards - even with crafting, the most potent weapon on my team is a +2 flaming greatsword (10th level), pretty balanced.

* The games adds some welcome polish to the engine, performance, camera and graphics.

* The NPCs are pretty one-dimensional, reminding me of BG1 NPCs. Then again, none of them bother you with their problems or bore you rigid with meaningful soliloquies about the meaning of life etc. If they die, hire a new one. There is a very abstract employee book in every inn where you swap personnel in and out of your team. Undead infestation? Call in a cleric. Etc.

* Trading is quite interesting, I like it some people don't, it's not mandatory.

* The plot is there because you need a plot, but it doesn't get in the way of wandering around making your little band of adventurers even more powerful and strangely multi-classed.

* You can give your party a silly name and motto, hit the 'retire' button and enjoy. Stuff like this is important to me.

Monte Score: A solid 7/10 if you know what you're letting yourself in for, if you are expecting a meaningful, plot-fuelled romp full of richly detailed NPCs then you'll want to melt the thing down with a flamethrower.

I have three games of this one saved and I dip in and out of them trying out new parties and characters... it's that sort of game and I'm glad Obz made it as a conuter-balance to MotB (which I liked, but was a bit heavy-going).

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

SoZ has the best single player gameplay of any NWN title. However, that isn't saying a whole lot, and the engine gets in the way of the game's fluency. You'll be watching a lot of loading screens.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: