Dragon Age

Gorth

Why don't they just automatically give you the "You Win!" screen in CE?

Hehe, lets not get crazy. Im sure those represent middle-of-the-road weapons and are nowhere near what you will end the game with. The best long term item in that list is the +3 to all stats as that will never be replaced by something better down the road.

Hehe, lets not get crazy. Im sure those represent middle-of-the-road weapons and are nowhere near what you will end the game with. The best long term item in that list is the +3 to all stats as that will never be replaced by something better down the road.

Remember the days were a +1 to any ability score was an awesome item/gift to get, now they give away stat based ability scores like candy.

Remember the days were a +1 to any ability score was an awesome item/gift to get, now they give away stat based ability scores like candy.

This isn't DnD.

This isn't DnD.

No ****

Remember the days were a +1 to any ability score was an awesome item/gift to get...

That I do. I remember the elation I felt when I found the Machine of Lum the Mad in BG2 which allowed me to raise one stat by one point per character.

Oner does have a good point, this isnt DnD and we dont know how +3 relates to this game world.

Remember the days were a +1 to any ability score was an awesome item/gift to get...

That I do. I remember the elation I felt when I found the Machine of Lum the Mad in BG2 which allowed me to raise one stat by one point per character.

Oner does have a good point, this isnt DnD and we dont know how +3 relates to this game world.

I just wish there was a more creative ways the developers could use to increase your characters ability that tied into the game/story. To use it to sell CE is .......silly

Edited by Kelverin

I just wish there was a more creative ways the developers could use to increase your characters ability that tied into the game/story. To use it to sell CE is .......silly

Hmm, so if its not gear (or tome) centric, then how? Maybe allow +1 to a characters primary stat every level? Could attribute it to "training"?

Hmm, so if its not gear (or tome) centric, then how? Maybe allow +1 to a characters primary stat every <x> level? Could attribute it to "training"?

That's one way and depending on what you studied during your training would determine what stat was raised.

Each character in the world of Dragon Age: Origins begins the game with a base score of 10 in each attribute plus bonuses from race and class. Attributes increase moderately on level-up (based on class) and the player gets 5 points to distribute at character creation and 3 more at each level-up.

Attributes are:

Strength

Dexterity

Willpower

Magic

Cunning

Constitution

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Very interesting. So, if the average level at the end of the game is 16, then we will receive 48 point, 5 for character creation, for a total of 53. If you distrubuted them evenly over all 6 primary attributes that comes to 8.83 per attribute.

Any news on what the ceiling is per attribute, if any? Could a mage dump all the points into the "Magic" attribute and pump it to 63 if they so desired?

Edited by Gfted1

Very interesting. So, if the average level at the end of the game is 16, then we will receive 48 point, 5 for character creation, for a total of 53. If you distrubuted them evenly over all 6 primary attributes that comes to 8.83 per attribute.

Any news on what the ceiling is per attribute, if any? Could a mage dump all the points into the "Magic" attribute and pump it to 63 if they so desired?

The average player should end around level 15-20. Though you could get as high as 22 last we heard. There's no hard level cap.

I don't believe evenly spreading your point out would be optimal for any class. I don't know if there's a limit to how high you can make a single attribute.

Is that the average level?

I'm not aware of any average level information on zee interwebs.

The FAQ on the Dragon Age website. ;)

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I think they said on the forums here that there are no hard limits on point allocation, but if you dump all points into Magic you will have a smaller mana pool. Attributes also increase moderately on level up, based on class.

Edited by Sammy Chung

Your link seems to not work.

Builds aren't moderated. It'll be up to the individual players how they want to create their PC (or their NPCs if they choose to directly manage them).

I do almost wish they were as I know I am going to get the following:

Player: "Mages SUCK in this game! I hate BioWare."

Me: "Umm... why?"

Player: "My mage keeps dying and can't cast any good spells and is USELESS!!!!"

Me: "Di you level up your PC or did you let the game do it?"

Player: "I ALWAYS level up my PC as I know what is best for how I like to play my character."

Me: "Ok. Did you put points in magic or cunning when you leveled up?"

Player: "No. I was trying to create a thief/fighter/mage like I did in someothergame. So I put all my stats in Strength and Dexterity."

Me: "So you know that by doing so you were choosing not to perform magic, right?"

Player: "what?!? I didn't know that! You guys suck! I should be able to do what I want, when I want and get what I want out of it."

Me: "*sigh*"

Also, social.bioware.com launched today for those interested in using the toolset. It's 'Facebook meets SourceForge, equal parts social networking site and software development/project management resource.'

You can't register until the game launches, but there's some information about it on Gamespy: Build Your Own Adventure: An Exclusive Look at the Dragon Age Toolset

Edited by Maria Caliban

I like how times have changed. It's now safe to assume that game will be played by braindead douchebags who make just about every mistake in character creation and leveling, come whine about it in offical boards and NOT get flogged by community.

More automation is the answer! We're on our way to semi-interactive movies.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I like how times have changed. It's now safe to assume that game will be played by braindead douchebags who make just about every mistake in character creation and leveling, come whine about it in offical boards and NOT get flogged by community.

I don't think times have changed at all. The average gamer might be older, but they're not smarter.

I expect to see you doing your part when this game comes out. I want at least 10 flames per day you hear me?

I don't think times have changed at all. The average gamer might be older, but they're not smarter.

It's natural de-evolution :p

The higher budgets get, the wider the potential audience have to be. Years ago designer could get away with gameplay choices that would be just about impossible today. Thus only those who could figure out how to have fun in that kind of game continued to play. I'd say players were smarter out of necessity back then. Actual quality of games back then is debatable as they were not suitable for everyone. Now we're at the point where players really need to be protected from themselfs. 20+ million budgets for AAA games in this generation and 60+ million in next. I'm really scared what kind of design choices that kind of budget requires. Maybe 2-3 hour quicktime event filled action extravaganza!

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.