Mass Effect 2 E3 Prelude

Jaesun

1. I don't believe they gave away the story.

2. I don't care about the 'interrupt system' in conversation. I wish they'd stop presenting being a murderous a-hole as the height of role-playing.

3. Gah, I hate you John Shep

Isn't ZOMG Shepard dies a plot twist?

I'm not sure how it could be one.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm not sure how it could be one.

It's done rarely enough to be surprising.

...had Bio not given it away that is.

Though I still think it's dumb idea to advertise the game with this.

"Commander" Shepard seems the most unmilitary person in the military ever when one goes down the renegate route. Insulting superiors, total disregard for civilian casualties & officers under his/her command, fraternization, putting guns into people's faces... and now pushing uncooperative people through windows. It's all so over-the-top.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Who wants to bet the interrupt moments are all "shoot him in the kneecaps" or "Kill him"? What use do these have other than for renegades?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Who wants to bet the interrupt moments are all "shoot him in the kneecaps" or "Kill him"? What use do these have other than for renegades?

Don't forget the "kiss the hawt alien chick" option.

If it's a split ending based on an alignment check then they'll either kill the Paragon in a cutscene where he sacrifices himself, followed by his Wrath of Khan space funeral, or they'll kill the Renegade to punish the player for picking the nasty dialogue options.

Which would be the worse mix-up?

Situation 1:

Hawt Alien: Love you so much, blah, blah, together forever, blah, blah.. [interrupt R1?]

Player: Yeah, let's get to the alien lovin'! [Pushes Interrupt]

Shepard: I am too angsty for love! *punches Hawt Alien in the face*

Player: Noooooo!

Situation 2:

Evil-Traitor-Wrex: And now Shepard, I will have my revenge, blah, blah, but first I

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Which would be the worse mix-up?

Situation 1:

Hawt Alien: Love you so much, blah, blah, together forever, blah, blah.. [interrupt R1?]

Player: Yeah, let's get to the alien lovin'! [Pushes Interrupt]

Shepard: I am too angsty for love! *punches Hawt Alien in the face*

Player: Noooooo!

Situation 2:

Evil-Traitor-Wrex: And now Shepard, I will have my revenge, blah, blah, but first I

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Is Shep still just a Commander? You'd think that saving the galaxy from annihilation would merit a promotion.

am more surprised that shep were allowed to keep his commission. commander o' an Alliance warship gotta take orders from a bunch o' bug-eyed and blue-arsed aliens? wouldn't give him command o' the s.s. minnow much less a warship after he became a spectre. wanna make him Fleet Admiral o' the Klingon or Harkonen navy? go for it, but any Alliance rank should be pretty much honorary after he becomes subject to a different command structure.

am not sure 'bout other navies, but the typical rank o' a U.S. Navy officer commanding a frigate is a Commander. pretty much the rank needed to keeps command o' the Normandy.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Is Shep still just a Commander? You'd think that saving the galaxy from annihilation would merit a promotion.

am more surprised that shep were allowed to keep his commission. commander o' an Alliance warship gotta take orders from a bunch o' bug-eyed and blue-arsed aliens? wouldn't give him command o' the s.s. minnow much less a warship after he became a spectre. wanna make him Fleet Admiral o' the Klingon or Harkonen navy? go for it, but any Alliance rank should be pretty much honorary after he becomes subject to a different command structure.

am not sure 'bout other navies, but the typical rank o' a U.S. Navy officer commanding a frigate is a Commander. pretty much the rank needed to keeps command o' the Normandy.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, I wondered about that too. The story made such a big deal of how Spectres answer to nobody but the Council, but Alliance admirals clearly had no problem with popping by to inspect the ship and sending Shep out to pick up every little probe they couldn't find. I did catch myself wondering who was paying Shep's salary a few times-- which led to a few good laughs imagining gameplay that includes filling out forms for Spectre HR-- before concluding that all funds must have from the supply dude hanging out in the cargo hold. And the complications of a Council-authorized commander and an Alliance crew were mostly swept away for narrative convenience.

I didn't know that bit about naval command traditions, but it's not at all surprising. Frigates are crewed by, what, 200 people? (A cousin of my wife's is a Navy LT who spent some time on one.) Hard to imagine anyone above an O5 running a ship that small. Although the Normandy (assuming sea-space equivalency) was a high-profile prototype with a Capt. initially calling the shots.

Mass Effect is soft sci-fi. I wouldn't dig too deeply into the structure of Alliance military organizations and responsibilities, because they're more symbolic and heroic than literal or realistic. Why do Captain Picard and Will Riker personally beam down to every ultra-dangerous location they come across instead of sending subordinates down while they deal with logistics and strategy? Because they're the cool guy stars who leap into harm's way and have sexy adventures. That's usually the way soft sci-fi goes.

Mass Effect is soft sci-fi. I wouldn't dig too deeply into the structure of Alliance military organizations and responsibilities, because they're more symbolic and heroic than literal or realistic. Why do Captain Picard and Will Riker personally beam down to every ultra-dangerous location they come across instead of sending subordinates down while they deal with logistics and strategy? Because they're the cool guy stars who leap into harm's way and have sexy adventures. That's usually the way soft sci-fi goes.

Because they're genre savvy and want to lower the redshirt mortality rate?

While I don't like Star Trek nor know details about the setting, it kinda of made sense for high ranking officers to take part of adventures. World is communist utopia and everyone are more or less equal, so it kinda make sense that elite would chase glory or bragging rights. At least in Star Trek high ranking officers got their hands dirty, unlike in Leonid Brezhnev era Soviet-Union. Leo himself was very keen for glory and medals... hehe... "Hero of the Soviet Union" award for his 70th birthday present :lol:

Shepard's Spectre status outrank just about everything in ME (including Council if you chose Renegade ending with full human Council). One of the great moments in ME was the meeting with human admiral who wanted to check Shepard's ship. Renegade Shepard didn't salute, give any info and even denied access to ship. All the admiral could say "I'm going to write a report about this" :)

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

*5 minutes before ending credits roll*

"So, Spectre...Do you want to die?"

- What?

- If that is what it takes, yes...

- Try me, you scum!

- [Charm] You look hot in that jumpsuit.

- [intimidate] Do you?

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Soft sci-fi? You just mean ME there right? Because if ST is soft sci-fi, what the hell would classify as hardcore?

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Soft sci-fi? You just mean ME there right? Because if ST is soft sci-fi, what the hell would classify as hardcore?

Aliens, Tank Girl, The Thing, etc.

Aliens, Tank Girl, The Thing, etc.

Ah, I see. He means violent/brutal>utopia/pleasant. I thought he was saying ST was sci-fi lite.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif