FO: NV

Get some bloody good voice talent, people who can at least alter their voices to sound like someone else. The generic voices of Fallout 3 was tiring and better to be left unvoiced if I'm going to hear the same person a lot of the time.

Frank Welker.

Get some bloody good voice talent, people who can at least alter their voices to sound like someone else. The generic voices of Fallout 3 was tiring and better to be left unvoiced if I'm going to hear the same person a lot of the time.

You're not a fan of Generic Black Man?

I wonder how much it would cost to contact one of those "manager" companies to hire 50? 100? guys to read & record the generic NPC lines once. Id doesn't have to be perfect, just different unknown voices...

(Edit: I have NO idea how much such a thing would cost. Heck they could have auditions for the main characters and have all tested people read the lines and use them for all I care :o)

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

I wonder how much it would cost to contact one of those "manager" companies to hire 50? 100? guys to read & record the generic NPC lines once. Id doesn't have to be perfect, just different unknown voices...

(Edit: I have NO idea how much such a thing would cost. Heck they could have auditions for the main characters and have all tested people read the lines and use them for all I care :grin:)

VO budget is a bit more complicated.

Rob mentioned (for NWN2) the Audio budget includes:

Often times this choice is made because it's just very expensive to have VO. Your audio budget is often times shared with other parts of the game development so it will shrink over time. Plus the audio budget has to cover VO and music and sound effects.

I'd like a weapons overhaul this time around

guns that do more damage, I had to use a mod to double all weapon damage because it was just ridiculous in the vanilla game the amount of shots I had to put into a person to make them stay down.

if you're going to use a FPP you need to actually make it feel real or why switch the view at all?

if i point blank someones head with a magnum, they need to be dead, not wounded

the most fun i've had playing the game was with all weapons dealing double damage (including enemy weapons), not using vats, and playing it on hard difficulty.

one burst from an assault rifle and you're toast

makes sneak and strategy a hell of a lot more valuable

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

My beef with weapons is the way they damage has to be abstracted and applied in order to balance the game. A single shot can kill anyone. Not necessarily, but it easily might. However, in a firefight with people who don't practice regularly with their weapons or who are not accustomed to firing them under duress there should be a lot of wasted rounds. Likewise, taking several inches of a steel knife or machette into your chest would also finish you. So we have these battle which, because of increased hit points and the like, cause multiple wounds but the PC just walks blithely away from the scene. Wounds? Broken legs? These are frustrating things to inflict upon the player and never suffice to show the effects of days, weeks, or even months of necessary recuperation. I'm just as happy to have broken legs or a damaged head depicted the way they are in Fallout 3 because, frankly, I don't see how FO/2 offer any improvement.

Nevertheless, I agree about the variety of ammo and the deadliness of combat.

I'm forgiving about the voice over work.

I hope that there is some effect of wandering the desert. The player should need to have a constant source of water. I know there's not much chance to see any significant gameplay effect of dehydration in the game, but I shudder when I think of someone walking all over the wasteland for several days without water.

guns that do more damage, I had to use a mod to double all weapon damage because it was just ridiculous in the vanilla game the amount of shots I had to put into a person to make them stay down.

Wait, you mean its a little weird to use up in excess of a thousand rounds of 5.56 ammo in just a few encounters?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'd like a weapons overhaul this time around

if you're going to use a FPP you need to actually make it feel real or why switch the view at all?

if i point blank someones head with a magnum, they need to be dead, not wounded

the most fun i've had playing the game was with all weapons dealing double damage (including enemy weapons), not using vats, and playing it on hard difficulty.

one burst from an assault rifle and you're toast

makes sneak and strategy a hell of a lot more valuable

I agree some o the weapons are weak. The mini guns were pathetic. They were nothing like the previous Fallouts versions. Shooting someone at point blank range should tear them to shreds. F3's mini gun bullets would only hit the target 1/4 of the time, the rest of the bullets just scattered off.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Yeah, but you still had weird things like zero damage crits with firearms early in one battle only to be put down immediately by a crit later. Damage in games is always weird to me. I mean, I don't mind the idea of missing the majority of the time because I know that folks with a low weapon skill should miss the majority of the time. Is the fact that these weapons hit and yet don't seem to cause appropriate damage. Even the first two Fallout games had that problem.

It's more of a problem across the industry and I'm just trying to figure out how they could address it without making for a frustrating experience for the player.

Have level 40-50 as the maximum or just dumb down the EXPs you get for quests and kills. I hated maxing out in Fallout 3 and not even be half way through the game yet.

I say extend the level cap to a point where it will take a very dedicated player to reach it (like, 100)

And then allow the skills themselves to be leveled up to 200-300.

Yeah, but you still had weird things like zero damage crits with firearms early in one battle only to be put down immediately by a crit later. Damage in games is always weird to me. I mean, I don't mind the idea of missing the majority of the time because I know that folks with a low weapon skill should miss the majority of the time. Is the fact that these weapons hit and yet don't seem to cause appropriate damage. Even the first two Fallout games had that problem.

It's more of a problem across the industry and I'm just trying to figure out how they could address it without making for a frustrating experience for the player.

The original fallouts had really borked armor/damage formulas.

For example, every now and then late in the game a super mutant or enclave officer would somehow pull a 635 hp crit out of his ass that one-shots even the most high-endurance builds. If your die rolls are doing that, something is wrong.

Why the heck would "Chinese Assault Rifles" fire the 5.56 NATO round?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

those of you who've read my posts know my basic top 5 list of things FO3 epically failed at, but for those who don't, here they are in no particular order:

* S.P.E.C.I.A.L. has been rendered almost completely meaningless and is need of serious repairing.

* Dialogue - it is, for the most part, the most embarrassing, corny, and predictable stuff i've seen in a long time.

* Choices & Consequences - as in "it'd be nice for an RPG, especially one in a series which C&C has thus far been an intregal part, to contain some"

* 'Sploshuns - enough is enough already.

* A.I. - much improved over what i've seen from the "make fun of Oblivion's AI" videos, but still. the word "Oblivious" comes to mind regardless.

now, i know what you're thinking...but you're wrong. this is actually a positive post. i had about an hour to kill last night and flipped the game on (since it's such a time-sink it's perfect for these moments) and came upon one of the Aqua Pura quests. the one with Griffin (don't worry i'll use spoilers when appropriate) the ghoul. i've long held that FO3 is at it's best when it pays attention to meaningful sidequests (re: more than just fetch quests) and this was just one of those moments for me, albeit a very brief one. just about everything about this quest seemed "Fallouty" to me and more so than much of the rest of the DLC and the vanilla game (though they've all had their moments). but what really hit me like a ton of bricks was such a simple thing. something most people probably overlooked or consider trite, but it symbolized something greater to me: it was the first moment since FO3 came out where i actually really felt that Fallout spirit of the original games.

the quest, the way it was set up, the shoulder-shrugging moral ambiguity and the humor were all intriguing me already but when i came upon the basement where Griffin's operation was set up and saw a ghoul guard walking around with a wig on (just like Griffin) i laughed and thought "wtf?" until i came upon the locker full of wigs. then i laughed even harder after listening to Griffin's tape wherein the last thing he says is "and don't touch my wigs, etc!" so i'm picturing this ghoul being so enamored of the faux-hair he just couldn't resist disobeying. it gave me pretty good lulz and i thought for extra lulz i'd take a wig, put it on, and go confront Griffin about the operation thinking just the act of doing so would be funny...y'know, using my imagination to make the game more interesting (which sadly, was the only way i could get through most of the rest of the game) and to my surprise when confronting Griffin i had a goddamn line of dialogue saying something like "hey, my hair kinda looks like your hair, doesn't it?" and his nervous response was such a great bonus i nearly ****. i couldn't believe Bethesda pulled that one off. for one brief moment in one brief quest, i felt like i was playing Fallout.

now while this may seem, as i've stated earlier, trite to some...i remain confident that if Obsidian and even Bethesda were to be able to pull off these types of meaningful in-game reactions and remain truer to this type of creative humor and atmosphere i'd have a whole lot less to complain about and a whole lot more to be excited about.

Edited by Matthew Rorie

I probably asked this before but I don't remember ever reading a reply.

I am wondering, what is everyone's thoughts on removing Oblivion's/Fallout 3's fast travel system in favor of Van Buren's "repair old rail-road lines" for use of a functioning train mechanic?

Have level 40-50 as the maximum or just dumb down the EXPs you get for quests and kills. I hated maxing out in Fallout 3 and not even be half way through the game yet.

I say extend the level cap to a point where it will take a very dedicated player to reach it (like, 100)

And then allow the skills themselves to be leveled up to 200-300.

Arg NO!

Thats one change to the skill system from F1's 200 & F2's 300 I love. 100 is a nice round number and raising it to some arbitrary number is just pointless. "How would you rank your firearms ability from 1-100 sir? Well I'd say, 241.6!"

100% should be 100%! Keep it simple... 1-10, 1-100, max level of 20-30. Just reduce how many skill points you earn per level or how many skill books you find.

Can we still laugh at John Romero ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Can we still laugh at John Romero ?

Trolling is also not allowed in regard to other gaming companies, their employees or moderators. We've worked and continue to work with various people at many game companies, and it is not within the spirit of our forums to allow disrespectful posts about other company's policies, employees, or moderators. It's OK to say you don't like a game, but referring to another company's employees or the company itself is simply not be tolerated here. Posts which intentionally attack another game company and/or it's employees will be deleted and the member censured accordingly

I feel like we're in a position where we post this reminder every few days. If people cannot remember and post according to the forum guidelines, we will move past the "post reminders" phase.

(And yes, I know you were joking.)

Matthew Rorie

I have no problem using 100 as the max number for skills, GDM. However, I do think that higher numbers allow for the sort of variety we have in real life. There is no "max skill level" for things in real life. That's why we have world records and those world records end up changing as people find ways to beat the previous score.

I don't see how they could change the numerical value of the skills at this point, but I don't think that 100 is universally better than 300 or 50. However, it works well enough for me. The reason for changing the skills to such a high value, and Bhlaab can correct me if I'm wrong, is that you would literally have unused excess points with everything maxed if the current system allowed the player to reach level 100 with all of the current perks available. Something must be done with the skills if the PC will have access to significantly higher levels.

Why the heck would "Chinese Assault Rifles" fire the 5.56 NATO round?

They were all imported, rechambered, and sporterized.

Oh. I thought they were left over from an invasion or something.

WOuldn't there by more m14s and M1's around then imported Chinese weapons?

Personal attacks on other developers attract the Eye of Sauron. Repent.

so quoting me thus making it appear once again somehow makes sense? dude, just edit it if you're that hung up about me saying anything about a guy who deserves every bit of flak he gets.

I am not going to get into the habit of editing posts. Everyone who posts here should follow the forum guidelines when they write posts.

We have this little bit of the guidelines that reads:

"Posts which intentionally attack another game company and/or it's employees will be deleted and the member censured accordingly."

Note the use of the term "delete" rather than "edit".

Matthew Rorie

yeah well, the point of that post which has seemingly been glossed over was actually an intresting bit in praise of Bethesda fwiw and imo it sucks that we're now talking about something so perpetually banal instead.

why is it the PR dudes always have such horrible bedside manner?

I have a wonderful and angelic bedside manner when people adhere to the guidelines. This isn't about me, and attempts to make it so will end poorly.

If you have any further comments about this, PM me or a moderator.

The rest of you, feel free to get back to your regularly-scheduled, forum-guideline-following discussion.

Matthew Rorie