Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Can we talk about guns again?

Yes! Guns! Guns are... erm... kind of boring, actually. I still haven't managed to play Fallout 3 since arriving in Megaton. I thought the walkways sloped at an implausible gradient and my immersion collapsed.

Plus bugs. First silt striders and now radroaches. What is it with Bethesda and large insects?

There's some really good dialogue in KotOR2 - good Kreia stuff, good Hanharr stuff. Bodes very well for New Vegas, I think.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Anyhow, I actually find you guys entertaining. Crazy as hell, but entertaining and sometimes talented.

Its not just the name ~well its mostly the name...

I printed up a DVD case cover to replace mine that got torn...

Fallout3-1-1.jpg

Edited by Gizmo

What's so bad about that dialogue, really? I am not a native English speaker, I'd like to know. Sounded like normal colloquial speech to me; keep in mind that the Lone Wanderer is a 19-year old kid.

it's generic, forced and uninspired. it has no personality, it's corny and they give the appearance of having more to say than will actually affect any outcome in the dialogue.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

Have you actually bothered taking the other choices in Fallout 3 besides the immediate and most obvious? There are usually many ways to complete the side quests besides just shooting someone.

Take Moira's quest for example. If you take your time to do all the side options and complete it fully you will run into wastelanders who praise you and thank you for creating the guide which helps them survive day to day. Lie about the tasks Moira gives you and the wastelanders will be killed off, unable to fend for themselves.

If you actually take the time to compare options in the original games you will find that many times F3 comes close or even surpasses the original in certain choices. I love it, even if the dialogue is :) at times.

I was 15 when Fallout came out... absolutely loved it, played it a zillion times without a guide with many different characters. Not too fond of Fallout 2 and its cheese ball humor, but still a great game too.

I want one of those 101 headbands. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I kinda like some bad dialogue in games, just not in my fallout please. I mean, on the brightside of the Beth dialogues we now have a classic to rival all your base are belong to us - in the form of "[intelligence] So you say you fight the good fight on the radio with your voice?"

absolutely mind-numbingly brilliant that is.

you jill the master of unlocking have really hit a home run here by putting the word [intelligence] at the front of that sentence

a new classic

i wonder if the person responsible for that gem got to pick up the best writing award and give a speech to all those awesome people who voted for him.

"So you say I've won an award for my writing?"

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Have you actually bothered taking the other choices in Fallout 3 besides the immediate and most obvious? There are usually many ways to complete the side quests besides just shooting someone.

i'm giving you the same look my Grandma used to give me if i was acting up at dinner.

I kinda like some bad dialogue in games, just not in my fallout please. I mean, on the brightside of the Beth dialogues we now have a classic to rival all your base are belong to us - in the form of "[intelligence] So you say you fight the good fight on the radio with your voice?"

absolutely mind-numbingly brilliant that is.

you jill the master of unlocking have really hit a home run here by putting the word [intelligence] at the front of that sentence

a new classic

i wonder if the person responsible for that gem got to pick up the best writing award and give a speech to all those awesome people who voted for him.

"So you say I've won an award for my writing?"

lulz. painful lulz, yet still lulz.

What's so bad about that dialogue, really? I am not a native English speaker, I'd like to know. Sounded like normal colloquial speech to me; keep in mind that the Lone Wanderer is a 19-year old kid.

Have you played the originals (1 or 2)

(I don't have a snazzy clip of legible retorts and responses, but I can show you a bit of how the NPC's talk back to you)...

~You getr this one in Fallout 2 if you have a low INt.

*And this one the same, but in Fallout 1

:) Edited by Gizmo

Here I was expecting some sort of well thought out response instead of generic 'I hate Bethesda and everything they do which means Fallout 3 sucks no matter what' response. Anyone who thinks the game has anything positive is :)

Another example. Getting a key off Dukov. You can use a speech check, threaten him for the key, pickpocket the key or charm one of his whores to steal the key for you.

@ Josh Sawyer - Yes... all guns should be removed except the BB gun.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

I ordered 300 rounds of surplus 8mm Mauser and UPS left it on my doorstep with no signature w00t.

So Aram likes guns, CrashGirl thinks F3s guns were poopy, and SteveThaiBinh thinks guns are boring. Any other opinions?

Only in America!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Guns should be more lethal and degrade more slowly

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It's kind of sad that this forum is going to be mired in Codex bull**** for the rest of its natural life. It makes any sort of discussion about this game sort of pointless. It's gone from email to the US Postal Service. No guarantees any given message is going to get to its intended place with all the noise it's gotta get through.

J.E., I remember that your avatar on the old board for a while was a couple of 40mm grenades.

Are you aware of the existence of this monstrosity?

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos06/nov/pump40.html

The Terminator would be proud. Put it in the game!

Speaking of guns... I'd love to see some WWII era weapons in the game. The Fallout universe splits from our own sometime after WWII (right?) so, while modern weapons like M4s and Berettas might be a bit out of place WWII era equipment like some seen in F2 might make sense.

Then again it would be amazing to see that stuff survive 200 years later, but I really don't care about that point. :)

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Aram your love for guns has never ceased to amaze me over the years...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I ordered 300 rounds of surplus 8mm Mauser and UPS left it on my doorstep with no signature w00t.

Have you tried one of those Swiss straight-pull rifles? They're pretty tyte.

Don't know if they're as cheap as they were a while ago though.

Edited by Aram

ALSO SAWYER PLEASE LISTEN:

let us use the craft bench to add little things to the guns, like scopes on our hunting rifles, or silencers to our sniper rifles

of course, please don't sacrifice story or character or C&C content for this, because ... well... you know.

It's kind of sad that this forum is going to be mired in Codex bull**** for the rest of its natural life. It makes any sort of discussion about this game sort of pointless. It's gone from email to the US Postal Service. No guarantees any given message is going to get to its intended place with all the noise it's gotta get through.

yeah, the one whole thread we're allowed here. boo-hoo. having multiple threads for discussion would help more than WHO is posting. some topics interest more than others but when you're only allowed one thread it's all getting lost anyway.

So Aram likes guns, CrashGirl thinks F3s guns were poopy, and SteveThaiBinh thinks guns are boring. Any other opinions?

Make them do damage. Using three magazines from the submachine gun to kill a dog is pretty weak.

ALso, just a question, something I'm curious about. SInce you are workign on the game you might have an answer. Nothing to do with the new game, just a question about FO3 mechanics.

It seems like the raiders have a faster rate of fire from the combat shotgun and have better accuracy with the auto weapons than a pc with very high skills in small guns. Is that true? Does each raider get individual stats for things such as small guns, big guns? If a raider carrying a 10mm pistol, picks ups a laser rifle dropped by someone who just got killed, does that raider use different skill numbers when firing that laser rifle than the 10mm pistol they orginally came

with?

I'm just curious.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That Fallout 3 box art is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking when I said talented. :)

Anyhow, I'm torn a bit. I like the game and I think it really revolved around good exploration. I spent a lot of time wandering the wastes.

In terms of excitement, I was not excited to get a Fallout 3 game and I didn't even consider buying it until I saw Killian and Hell Kitty's reviews. As more folks played it and had positive reviews, I decided to purchase it. I don't regret it at all.

I think I was in my 20s when Fallout shipped. At any rate, I'll be 40 in July, so that should date me somewhere on the adult side of things when it shipped. I thought it was a great game. Played the hell out of it. Spent even more hours in Fallout 2.

On the other hand, I'm going to come clean with you. I like most games I buy. If there's something there to enjoy, I usually enjoy it. I guess I'm even more hoi pollio than the polloi. I generally like games. I generally get along with other gamers. Go figure. So I rarely think of games as a work of art. I still consider Planescape Torment a work of art, even though those "educated" folks have been making fun of me for years since PS:T is just a pretentious work of fluff. I dunno. I think it's a work of art and I've loved every minute I've spent playing the game.

I guess the thing is, I tend to accept games for what they are and play them. For that reason, one of the worst things I can say about a game is that I didn't finish it. I finish nearly every game and try to find something good in before I'm done.

EDIT: Sorry, the conversation switched to guns during the interim. Carry on. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Edited by Aristes

I know a guy who makes his own suppressors in his machine shop. It's definitely doable--probably one of few useful things a person would really be able to make in a wasteland out of scrap metal.

Also, for chrissakes, reloading needs to be in the game. Even if it's some kind of half-assed nonsensical deal like the ammo press in The Pitt. It doesn't make sense that all this ammo is just sitting around 200 years later.

Here I was expecting some sort of well thought out response instead of generic 'I hate Bethesda and everything they do which means Fallout 3 sucks no matter what' response. Anyone who thinks the game has anything positive is :)

I could give you a lot of examples. It just takes work, which I am loathe to do, but here are a coupel quick ones that disappointed me:

If Burke kills Simms what happens. Nothing. No consequence. Except you get your reward from the kid.

IF you go back to Lucy after doing Blood Ties, what's is her reaction to the news that her parents are dead, horribly murdered by her cannibal brother? Nothing. She barely acknowledges that you went on the quest in the first place.

edit: added spoiler tags

Edited by CrashGirl