Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Quit being a Beth/FOpologist, entrerix. Folks are going to think you're part of hoi polloi like me! haha

...But, whatever you do, don't group people together based on their attitudes! I'm telling you, nothing is more offensive than branding folks something like, say, Fallout Fanatic just because they parrot the same line as a whole slew of other folks. hahahaha

Quit being a Beth/FOpologist, entrerix. Folks are going to think you're part of hoi polloi like me! haha

...But, whatever you do, don't group people together based on their attitudes! I'm telling you, nothing is more offensive than branding folks something like, say, Fallout Fanatic just because they parrot the same line as a whole slew of other folks. hahahaha

yeah, not really "four ha's" funny.

also, wait..."enterix"??? did i miss something here?

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

Beth has nothing in my opinion to apologize for, except naming fallout 3 fallout 3, if they had named it fallout: DC - I imagine most hardcore fallout fans (myself included) would never really have gotten that riled up to begin with, after all we already had BOS, compared to that game, this most recent spin-off is like a piece of heaven.

seriously though, beth does what they do, they make very fun, but broken, open ended action games with rpg-like stats. nothing on par with deus ex, or fallout, but fun nontheless

as Ive always said, a game doesnt need to be perfect to be fun.

and i had fun playing fallout DC (or 3 as beth unfortunately labeled it) so I'm greatly looking forward to fallout DC 2: NV (now with story and characters!)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

oh and for the record, fallout 1 is not just "fun" like Fallout DC, its a goddamn work of art.

edit: and i REALLY love that I can say goddamn here, not like those horrible beth forums

bring on ceasars legion!

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Beth has nothing in my opinion to apologize for, except naming fallout 3 fallout 3, if they had named it fallout: DC - I imagine most hardcore fallout fans (myself included) would never really have gotten that riled up to begin with, after all we already had BOS, compared to that game, this most recent spin-off is like a piece of heaven.

seriously though, beth does what they do, they make very fun, but broken, open ended action games with rpg-like stats. nothing on par with deus ex, or fallout, but fun nontheless

as Ive always said, a game doesnt need to be perfect to be fun.

and i had fun playing fallout DC (or 3 as beth unfortunately labeled it) so I'm greatly looking forward to fallout DC 2: NV (now with story and characters!)

Agree 100%

Had it not sought to eclipse, but made plain that it was a new game set in the FO gameworld ~who of the "hardcore" fans would have accused a branded spin-off of not being a faithful sequel? (Accusing someone of not making a faithful sequel perhaps... but really I doubt there would have been much fuss by series fans ~most [i think] would have bought it sight unseen.

Edited by Gizmo

Twink, the only thing I concern myself nowadays is if the game is fun or not. Fallout 3 was fun to play. Fallout 3 is more fun to play than Fallout 1 and 2 for me now. Sad, but true.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

sacrilege! fallout 1 is still a pinnacle of gaming, fallout 3 is a fun diversion that in ten years I'll say "oh yeah i remember that game"

you can have your opinion of course. It just kinda blows.

Twink, the only thing I concern myself nowadays is if the game is fun or not. Fallout 3 was fun to play. Fallout 3 is more fun to play than Fallout 1 and 2 for me now. Sad, but true.

I can accept that :)

~I can't identify with it though...

well now, this is actually an opinion about subjectivity. you can say you have more fun with FO3 all day long and i'd have no problem with it (though like Gizzors i can't for the life of me fathom such an opinion). the minute you start saying things like "it is better" or "it is more complex" is the moment i start laughing out little lulz-tears in my mind though.

I don't really like FO3 all that much, period. Just as a game. Nevermind any comparisons to FO1 or 2.

FO3 is a terrible crpg and a mediocre (at best) first person shooter. Its saving grace is its exploration.

I kinda think of it as a great big scavenger hunt. WIth miniguns.

edit: But it is still about 1 billion times better than Oblivion.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

a terrible crpg??? but how could that be with dialogue like this:

Yes, I'm human. But what are you?

Give me one good reason not to kill you.

A friendly Super Mutant. Well, now I've seen everything.

You're kind of weirding me out. I've got to go.

I am indeed, but I have no time to discuss these matters.

i mean...seriously guys? wtf?? do the Bethie devs actually think this **** is creative, witty, or even slightly interesting?? is this how they themselves speak to each other? "So you say you want to put another subway crawl in D.C. Mr. Todd?" jeezus. sign me up for the next Bethesda BBQ! wheeeee!!!

i mean...seriously guys? wtf?? do the Bethie devs actually think this **** is creative, witty, or even slightly interesting?? is this how they themselves speak to each other? "So you say you want to put another subway crawl in D.C. Mr. Todd?" jeezus. sign me up for the next Bethesda BBQ! wheeeee!!!

The dialogue is horrible, beyond horrible. Almost every line makes me either cringe or roll my eyes.

DIdn't this game win some kind of best writing award or something? IIRC. IF so, that is absolutely INSANE.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

But for a name! haha (only two)

Seriously though, I just don't see the issue here. Fallout 3 is Fallout 3. You don't like it, too bad. I really mean that. I'm not just scoring points in some weird internet argument game. If the fact that Fallout 3 sported a 3 at the end rather than DC causes you grief, then I envy you the sort of protected and happy life you must have lived.

I don't mind the fact that this board has become a haven for so many Fallout Fans. I think it would be good if some of you stuck around. After all, since it appears Feargus has absolutely no interest in the OEI message boards at best, and perhaps even finds them contemptible, any new blood we get here is good.

Anyhow, I actually find you guys entertaining. Crazy as hell, but entertaining and sometimes talented.

In the case of combat difficulty, the center of discussion at the moment, you guys also have hope. I remember Sawyer talking about tightening up combat. I think there would be some ways to make it a little more difficult without going over the top.

to be honest, perfectly honest - I do not believe it is possible for a person to pick up and play fallout 1 for the very first time, without looking at ANY help (like faqs/walkthroughs/friends advice) and beat the game without dying at least a few times.

anyone who says they have done it I will consider a liar.

no matter how much they claim otherwise.

I'll be honest:

It took me two **** character builds to actually get past the raider camp in Fallout 1 (didn't pay attention to stats because I was 8-9?) Hey, third time really is a charm!

You need to calm down dude. Smoke a bowl and listen to some Kinks or something.

Can we talk about guns again?

The firearms are almost as badly done as the dialogue.

But if Obs can fix the dialogue side that would be good enough.

and you need to stop making assumptions about the state of mind of posters near you. i'm calm as hell. just got my amp head fixed, and am now drinking bourbon and listening to Ghost who i'm about to see in about an hour and a half.

that doesn't, however, mean that i'm going to change the way i postspeak for you.

(also, the Kinks are one of my favorite bands of all time...but hardly what i'd suggest to someone in order to calm them down. Stars of the Lid would have been a nicer reference. i'll pretend you said that.)

Fallout 3 definitely has some stinker dialogue at points, but it also has a ton of options in many of the quests and I'm frequently surprised about the events I can talk about or the decisions available.

Yeah, I think its a damn good CRPG.

you better follow this up with "i was 3 years old when Fallout 1 came out" or so help me god i'm slitting my mind's wrists.

(for the "calm down" guy, that's lulz, not srsly)

and you need to stop making assumptions about the state of mind of posters near you. i'm calm as hell. just got my amp head fixed, and am now drinking bourbon and listening to Ghost who i'm about to see in about an hour and a half.

that doesn't, however, mean that i'm going to change the way i postspeak for you.

(also, the Kinks are one of my favorite bands of all time...but hardly what i'd suggest to someone in order to calm them down. Stars of the Lid would have been a nicer reference. i'll pretend you said that.)

Cosmic.

Yeah, I think its a damn good CRPG.

Options without consequences are meaningless to me. That's why I think it fails so badly as a crpg.

But yes, it does have a lot of options, I agree. I just think those options have to lead to something meaningful, rather thad just existing as options, an end in and of themselves.

a terrible crpg??? but how could that be with dialogue like this:

Yes, I'm human. But what are you?

Give me one good reason not to kill you.

A friendly Super Mutant. Well, now I've seen everything.

You're kind of weirding me out. I've got to go.

I am indeed, but I have no time to discuss these matters.

What's so bad about that dialogue, really? I am not a native English speaker, I'd like to know. Sounded like normal colloquial speech to me; keep in mind that the Lone Wanderer is a 19-year old kid.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.