Iowa SC Overturns Gay Marriage Ban

Guard Dog

I would like to love everyone with what God has given me. I don't always agree with the decisions people make, personal, social, economical. In fact, there are things I believe people do that are outright sinful. Yet, Christ loved me when I was outright sinful, and my life has been changed by that love. So I want to show that love to others. If I will disagree with another person, I will express that disagreement through a lovingkindess inspired by God, for I believe people can see more about who God is, i.e. good and holy, through loving and caring about others, e.g. assisting them with their emotional, spiritual, and physical needs. If God is the ultimate definition of good and moral uprightness, then showing that person my love and care will help them to see the ultimate good and moral uprightness. My own opinions be damned. God is my authority and I hope to make Him look good.

Edited by Blank

Aren't you a little ashamed about how all this chasing around after gays with legislation is making the country look.

I don't know. Is there Yackety Sax in the background?

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They're not as bad as, say, Wyoming, but they're not exactly at the forefront of democracy.

So Wyoming is a pit of oppression huh? How about this?

http://www.mormonlawyers.com/2009/02/same-...efeated-in.html

Oh, and since you seem to be incapable of seeing beyond political sterotypes there are nineteen democrats in the Wyoming state house. Many voted FOR the ban. That means it was the REPUBLICANS who defeated this. And in case you didn't know (and in your case you seem to know nothing you didn't read on some left wing blog) Wyoming recognizes gay marriage. The reason is there is a strong libertarian streak in people in that region. You know the ideology you routinely castigate? The one where people are free to do as they please with their lives and money? I can see how you would hate that.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Aren't you a little ashamed about how all this chasing around after gays with legislation is making the country look.

I don't know. Is there Yackety Sax in the background?

So many :)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

As an Iowan I have to say that I feel a little bit better about my state. Iowa has an long history of being the forefront of civil rights and liberties and this is just another stepping stone. Of course the bigots now are going to try for a constitutional amendment like they did in California. Luckily such measures is quite hard to do here in Iowa. The earliest such a measure will pass would be 2012.

Another big boon on this is that the state government will be getting revenue from licensing fees and tourism will increase. Economist expect over $160 million increase in Iowa's economy over the next three years.

There might be a glimmer of hope for the human race yet.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I wish the rest of the U.S. would wake up and realize that this is good idea.

Edited by awsomeness

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I wish the rest of the U.S. would wake up and realize that this is good idea.

Economically speaking, I can take that this is of no issue for them, nor do they see it as any form of longterm planning. The matter of principle truimphs everything.

Like the drugtesting for those recieving unemployment benefits that i have heard about in some states. These practices would be insanely expensive, nor would they actually produce anything, or have any basis of reality. It is just a matter principle: "No druggie gets my taxpayers money!".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They're not as bad as, say, Wyoming, but they're not exactly at the forefront of democracy.

So Wyoming is a pit of oppression huh? How about this?

http://www.mormonlawyers.com/2009/02/same-...efeated-in.html

Oh, and since you seem to be incapable of seeing beyond political sterotypes there are nineteen democrats in the Wyoming state house. Many voted FOR the ban. That means it was the REPUBLICANS who defeated this. And in case you didn't know (and in your case you seem to know nothing you didn't read on some left wing blog) Wyoming recognizes gay marriage. The reason is there is a strong libertarian streak in people in that region. You know the ideology you routinely castigate? The one where people are free to do as they please with their lives and money? I can see how you would hate that.

Take a chill pill sunshine and read the thread. Nobody mentioned Republicans or Democrats except you. I'm just pointing out that Wyoming is fairly socially conservative (which is pretty stupid to try and deny), and Iowa is somewhere between California and Wyoming, so Iowa's not the first place you'd look if you were expecting advances in social liberty, but it's good to see nonetheless.

Oh, and that "left-wing blog" you were referring to? Yeah, the guy's a hard-core Libertarian. Which is beautifully ironic. :ermm:

Edited by Krezack

Give GD a break, Krez. He's still recovering from being smashed like a fistful of potato chips in that crash. i think we all, at one time or another, have snapped at someone on the forum, presuming their point of view based on what some unconnected twit has been saying to us.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Silence you fascist pig!

What is it with pigs being right wing, anyway?

-Elwood Blues

Oh, and that "left-wing blog" you were referring to? Yeah, the guy's a hard-core Libertarian. Which is beautifully ironic. :o

your reading comprehension is, to say the least, a bit weak. GD was not referring to your specific reference, he was referring to your rather simplistic general knowledge of the US, i.e., everything you "know" about the US is based on some left-wing blog viewpoint. you're in college, you should be better at understanding simple sentences.

walsh: sorry man, but GD didn't snap because of his recent car accident. in fact, he didn't snap at all. krezack is a troll that thinks he knows more about the US than those of us that live here. in reality, he's nothing but a scared punk kid in college (and apparently suffering some severe issues with that) that thinks he has some worldly knowledge because he saw some michael moore films and read about the US on the internet. GD, like any rational thinker, simply points out moronic hypocrisy and narrow-minded view points masquerading as something enlightened.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Woohoo, Vermont just followed Iowa and became the fourth state to legalize gay marriage. We are on a roll!

Unfortunately Krezack's view of the US as a singular bloated capitalist monster is common internationally. Most outsiders have no concept of the complex system that is taking place on a federal, state, and local level. This is a huge frickin' country. There are a ton of ideologies, agendas, and identities floating around.

Woohoo, Vermont just followed Iowa and became the fourth state to legalize gay marriage. We are on a roll!

Unfortunately Krezack's view of the US as a singular bloated capitalist monster is common internationally. Most outsiders have no concept of the complex system that is taking place on a federal, state, and local level. This is a huge frickin' country. There are a ton of ideologies, agendas, and identities floating around.

I think they can see the politics at the fed level a tiny bit, but for the most part they can't see the legal maneuvering like we do (nor can we do the same to them)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

moronic hypocrisy and narrow-minded view points masquerading as something enlightened.

Hmm. What does that remind me of? Oh yeah! Libertarianism.

As someone who would most likely identify himself as a Libertarian, I'm a bit surprised by this comment.

Rationality is seldom comparable with ideology. However, a rational point of view can share traits with one though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

moronic hypocrisy and narrow-minded view points masquerading as something enlightened.

Hmm. What does that remind me of? Oh yeah! Libertarianism.

As someone who would most likely identify himself as a Libertarian, I'm a bit surprised by this comment.

Wasn't that sarcasm?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

are you kidding, krezack doesn't even know what hypocrisy is, let alone possess the ability to recognize it in others. i've already exposed both his and xard's nonsense for what it is. he just can't admit it to himself.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

That's right, who do those people think they're are, voting their views like that. Government should be left to professional politicians and preferably unelected judges, who know what they're doing.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan