What you did today

Gorth

I don't think sluggo should be a narc. I think he should join the US postal investigation service. Those guys have incredible powers. I may have already mentioned this. It's like no-one minds because they're 'just the post office'. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I had a rather weird end to my day, today, where a bunch of stuff happened to me for the first time.

I bought Fallout 3 for the PC, today. This, in itself, isn't that weird, even if a bit unexpected. However, not only did I buy Fallout 3, but I bought it used, in a Portuguese Game, from a fairly hot female Portuguese gamer(WAT???), who proceeded to offer me noob advice on how to play F3. Her advice was in the form of a question, when she asked whether I was going to cheat. At first I thought she meant VATS, but I just pointed out that it's a pretty easy game, which prompted her to explain that F3 takes 300 hours to finish. I told her that that was a load of marketing bollocks, although not in so many words. I left the store wondering if I was having some sort of drug induced dream, or if this chain of events was one of the signs of the apocalypse.

I'm guessing her reaction to me buying F3 means either that: a)I don't look like a gamer; b)I look old or; c)both.

Oh LOL! 300 hours...

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Maybe they meant 300 hours including the time taken to accept the farcical ending?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Am re-watching BG series 3 while doing circuits. best misheard quote ever: "Some kind of... bacon. Left by humans like you."

-Elwood Blues

3000+ sf house ... hahaha, in RWC/penninsula that'd likely be well over a million, even now. Not for us, sadly. Not that we'd need that much. A couple thousand would be nice tho. :)

about $600k will get nearly 5000 sq. ft. finished here, from a high-end builder no less (about $450k for the house plus lot). of course, i no longer have massive amounts of equity in my current home, since it has lost at least 10%, so i'm not in any hurry to move (which is actually good compared to some areas - aspen has suffered a 50% hit, for example). 3000 sq. ft. home is going to set you back anywhere from $250k to $350k depending upon the builder, lot location, and lot size in colorado springs.

i should mention, the only reason i am considering moving, besides the discount you can get on a new home, is that i have no yard. 6500 sq. ft. just ain't enough when you have a 6-year old child (well, he'll be 6 in just over 2 weeks). eventually we will move out to the sticks and a 2.5 acre lot. right next to schriever AFB, the base that runs the GPS system (among other things).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

3000 sq. ft. home is going to set you back anywhere from $250k to $350k depending upon the builder, lot location, and lot size in colorado springs.

I'm moving there. :)

6500 sq. ft. just ain't enough when you have a 6-year old child (well, he'll be 6 in just over 2 weeks).

Most people here would disagree with you. Heh. Sheesh. :) I grew up with 2 siblings in a house that was about 2100sf...my mom sold that a couple years ago for 1.4 million. Average home lots around here are 5000-5500sf (that's including house, front, back yard). So most houses that are 2500+sf have to be two story w/little yard, or be in the rich acre+ areas like Atherton/Woodside where the mansions are 3-5-10+ million. Heh.

I can understand about not having a yard, tho. I think kids need a yard to play if it's possible for the parents to provide one (not to mention safety reasons). Our house may be really small, but at least it has a decent yard for a big city suburb. Meaning, it's small compared to a lot of middle-states/non-big city areas but big enough for a garden, kids to play, a pool if you wanted, a dog, etc.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As someone who recently bought a 70+ year-old home (with a 15-year-old renovation) on a 50' X 100' lot for a bit north of $600K, I'm getting a kick out of this exchange. In our case, the "15-minute walk to a DC Metro station" feature means that it will likely hold its value reasonably well.

I'm moving there. :)

be my guest. COS is consistently rated one of the best cities to live in (in the US). besides the stunning mountain view i get every morning driving to work, it's just plain cool to be here. obviously living close to the mountain costs more, as does living north in the forested areas, but only the land. $250k gets you a beautiful 2.5 acre lot in black forest surrounded by millionaires.

Most people here would disagree with you. Heh. Sheesh. :)

yeah, well, after the pad, the patio, 2-car driveway, sidewalk, and 4 foot rock bed around the house*, i have very little room left for a yard, and half of it is on a slope and basically unusable. of course, i suppose this much land would cost a fortune in heavily populated areas and europe. :)

I grew up with 2 siblings in a house that was about 2100sf...my mom sold that a couple years ago for 1.4 million. Average home lots around here are 5000-5500sf (that's including house, front, back yard). So most houses that are 2500+sf have to be two story w/little yard, or be in the rich acre+ areas like Atherton/Woodside where the mansions are 3-5-10+ million. Heh.

oof. our house (growing up) was just under 1800 sq. ft., and we were on about 0.25 acre lot. 10000 sq. ft. or so. mom still lives there with her dog, murphy. it's probably worth around $250k in north st. louis county (missouri).

I can understand about not having a yard, tho. I think kids need a yard to play if it's possible for the parents to provide one (not to mention safety reasons). Our house may be really small, but at least it has a decent yard for a big city suburb. Meaning, it's small compared to a lot of middle-states/non-big city areas but big enough for a garden, kids to play, a pool if you wanted, a dog, etc.

i want a dog. one of my teammates brought in her new black lab puppy (it's going to be a helper dog eventually) last night and i was almost in tears. my son needs a yard we can play soccer in. something big enough to set up goal posts. heck, if i move to the 2.5 acre lots as i intend, we can play baseball! :)

^enoch: that is why i turned down an offer, in 2002, to work for a company that was based somewhere along the road to quantico. can't remember the highway, nor the company name. i came out here for $10k less per year. i think i made out like a bandit in the long run (particularly since i got to get a phd from one of my heroes as an undergrad). when i was with DRS, our home office was in gaithersburg, so i was in DC rather often for various reasons. i'd be dead from stress by now.

taks

[marketing ploy]

oh, btw, smart people don't do pools in most of CO, particularly the high elevation areas in and around the mountains. this is, of course, null and void if you can afford a heated, or indoor, pool. you can only really use a pool in late june, july and august. we still get snow into may, and it still gets down near freezing into june overnight. snow starts up again as early as september, which likewise means colder weather.

don't get me wrong, we don't get much snow in COS - our climate is very mild overall. we are an alpine desert with under 16 inches of precipitation per year (up to 6 feet of snow, unless you live near the palmer divide, which doubles the amount). denver gets lots more snow and rain, and it is also hotter in the summer.

[/marketing ploy]

taks

As someone who recently bought a 70+ year-old home (with a 15-year-old renovation) on a 50' X 100' lot for a bit north of $600K, I'm getting a kick out of this exchange. In our case, the "15-minute walk to a DC Metro station" feature means that it will likely hold its value reasonably well.

If that's Washington DC, that's one of the areas that's as average-expensive or more so than around here. New York is another one, especially if you use dollars per square foot. :)

2008/2009 Forbes "Most Expensive Zipcodes" list (based on median home values) has 250 California zip codes in their top 500, which includes a lot not far from us.

Our house has dropped in value since we bought it a year ago (we expected it) but it's nothing like many other areas hit so hard...unless the world collapses (never know) I'd guess in a couple years, three at most, our personal house value will be back where it was, if not higher. I don't know if it'll ever reach back to it's 'boom-time' peak, tho...which was ridiculously over-priced for a 1000sf home (I think it was close to 750K, and we wouldn't have bought it then). *shrug*

Edit:

i suppose this much land would cost a fortune in heavily populated areas and europe.

lol, yeah, even in expensive US areas, it's still a lot better than in say, Japan. I've seen real estate shows about people buying there...tiny little concrete boxes with a sink and toaster-oven counter ovens for a kitchen, and bathrooms are like tiny closets. Ouch.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Today the lawyer came over to talk about a settlement offer from the accident. After he left I just sat on the porch and drank. Once I get out of this situation I'm going to quit drinking forever. But right now when I think about it all it just gets me so damned depressed I don't know what to do. But, at least the dogs find ways to cheer me up.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

For the love of all that's good and holy. And me. Don't stop drinking. Don't blame booze for the behaviour of a few bastards.

My mum has been on the point of giving up and dying. I went out for some lovely beer and now I'm happy as a lamb. Well, that and the roast chicken I made earlier.

-Elwood Blues

For the love of all that's good and holy. And me. Don't stop drinking. Don't blame booze for the behaviour of a few bastards.

My mum has been on the point of giving up and dying. I went out for some lovely beer and now I'm happy as a lamb. Well, that and the roast chicken I made earlier.

That's a cop-out. Avoiding the problem won't help.

That having been said, I have no experience in matters such as this, so I'll shut up. :)o:)

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

That's a cop-out. Avoiding the problem won't help.

That having been said, I have no experience in matters such as this, so I'll shut up. :)o:)

Don't ever underestimate the value of completely avoiding (meaning forgetting) all of your problems for a few hours. Plus I have had the the worst headaches and insomnia lately and a few tall glasses of whisky sour does seem to help.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm sorry to hear of your distress GD but won't the settlement provide enough funds for your medical, attorney and living expenses? I know (I think) you don't have a job but it's like if you get half a million out of it (sounds pretty reasonable to me, my friends sister got near 1 mill) and you make sure to negotiate with the hospital that should be enough to take you through this and next year pretty easy.

I suggest you get a float tank with all that money. I'm going to get one eventually. They have been scientifically linked with decreasing or completely getting rid of depression. Plus it's all natural and really awesome and people can think your a weird hermit man when they come over and they ask what that giant box is. Or just get a really nice jacuzzi and claim it for medical expenses on your taxes next year. Just a friendly future tax accountant slug tip.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Don't ever underestimate the value of completely avoiding (meaning forgetting) all of your problems for a few hours. Plus I have had the the worst headaches and insomnia lately and a few tall glasses of whisky sour does seem to help.

hehe, welcome to my world... well, the headaches and insomnia part. i agree, sometimes a good stiff drink does wonders. unfortunately, it does aggravate insomnia in the long run. i had a beer hangover today, which sucks. it doesn't take much beer to make me feel like crap the next day. i normally drink bacardi/coke, no lime, which doesn't do me nearly as wrong.

i agree with walsh, don't give it up just because of an idiot. just make sure you aren't that idiot some day in the future.

taks

I don't sleep until my eyelids start to feel physically painful, it helps to have the TV on to hypnotize me with boredom. When I do fall asleep I can clock 8 hours no problem. Got some new sleeping pills I'm going to test out. Unfortunately the rest of the world don't run on a vampire clock.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The cast came off today! Yea! I'm free... FREE! Finally! I've got a full leg soft splint I can taqke on and off now. This first thing I did when I got home was take a shower. A very long hot shower. I'm clean for the first time in months! Now I can finally get my teeth fixed, my appointment with the dentist is on Monday. Going to spend this afternoon car shopping online. I think things are finally turning around!

Thomas Sowell

So I think something happened at work. I logged into the online class system today and was immediately hit with a pop up of a job opening for my exact same position. There's basically only two scenarios that can explain this: the other girl quit or I'm getting fired. I couldn't imagine them hiring another person on because they basically only give me busy work as it is now. Summer school is coming up but it's going to be nowhere near what it was like at the start of the current semester and me and the other student worker were able to get through that relatively fine on our own so extra man power isn't needed. I mean I'd welcome the opportunity to get laid off because I'm going to be quitting once this semester ends anyways and it would free up so much time to get school stuff done but at the same time I'm scared they think I did something wrong, which as far as I know, I haven't done anything to warrant a pink slip. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow what the deal is. Perhaps I'll also give them my "two weeks" which is actually more like a month+ but I'm scared. :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

This first thing I did when I got home was take a shower.

i figured the first thing would have been to scratch a hole in your leg where it was itching. then a shower, some more scratching, and ultimately, a very large and thick bandage applied to the new found wound on your leg. that's what i did when i had my arm cast off years ago (when i was 7).

taks

last day of classes before spring break (yay) but then I never do anything during break (awww) so *shrugs*.

Anyway my business group just spun off two of our brighter people so it's me, one other guy, and a couple of dead weights putting together a business plan for the end of the semester. *is frustrated*

Meanwhile I'm still salivating over the fact that I'm an NPC in a game now... I just wonder if it's gonna be the guy who appears for thirty seconds to die (probably).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Meanwhile I'm still salivating over the fact that I'm an NPC in a game now... I just wonder if it's gonna be the guy who appears for thirty seconds to die (probably).

Thats what you won for your fanfic, right? What game will you be in? Personally, I think thats pretty friggin cool. I would love to see Gfted1 in a game but I would want it to be my avvy.