Rest in Peace, Natasha Richardson

Celebrities and skiing just doesn't mix apparantly ;(

Sonny Bono, Michael Kennedy and now Natasha Richardson.

The first two were ambushed and killed by trees while skiing. Not sure what happened to the latter.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

She gave herself a head injury going down the bunny slope? How did she manage that?

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

It really isn't in good taste to go into a eulogy thread and troll. This is a sad situation. No one is saying it is more sad because she is a celebrity, but being in the public eye often magnifies this stuff. It may seem like it doesn't deserve the attention it is getting, but the positive from this tragedy is that hopefully people will see this and decide to wear helmets out on the slopes. After watching this unfold, I know I will be, as will my daughter and wife.

"Thousands of non-celebs die every day due to accidents like this."

beautiful. Just beautiful. Beautiful, and touching. I think a shed a single tear over how wonderful, and caring your words are. Who cares about celebs, right? Your implication belies your words - you feel celebs aren't even human. Very sad, indeed.

My sympathies to her families, and friends. And, yours as well since your heart obviously gave out.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It may seem like it doesn't deserve the attention it is getting, but the positive from this tragedy is that hopefully people will see this and decide to wear helmets out on the slopes. After watching this unfold, I know I will be, as will my daughter and wife.

I don't know if people will start wearing helmets all of a sudden because this person died on the slopes. Many people die from head injuries in different circumstances such as car accidents. Should we then start wearing helmets in cars?

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Didn't know here, don't care.

Now if I had prior knowledge that someone here knew the person in question on a personal basis that would be another matter. As it stands 'eulogy threads' for TV acquaintances, gimme a break. Write something about what her work meant to you instead.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm with Hurlshot on this. Granted it's not someone you know. But it's still sad. In it's way. It's emblematic. like when Bambi's mother gets shot. Except that just made me hungry.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

am kinda/sorta on same page as harlequin with this kinda stuff.

is Gromnir's belief that Bangladesh has more massacres, tragedies and natural disasters per capita than any country in the world not currently involved in a war. seems like almost a sure bet that Gromnir will see at least one story per week from cnn or bbc that describes an industrial accident or flood or fire in Bangladesh that accounted for multiple deaths. am not sure why. am sure that is our imagination. regardless, when death toll in Bangladesh from tornadoes rises to 15,000 we feel... little. sure, objective-like we recognize the tragedy of 15,000 strangers dying seemingly meaningless deaths, but am not having no emotional connection to those folks so we ain't able to generate much genuine emotion on their behalf. so if Gromnir not able to eek out a tear for 15,000 dead, why on earth would we be moved by the passing of one dead actress? 'cause we seen her in a handful o' movies?

Gromnir has sympathy for the dead actress' family... on an intellectual level. is no genuine emotion, and we not feel any particular guilt 'bout that. truth to tell, we would be worried if the plight o' all those folks in Bangladesh touched us less than the death o' a single actress.

btw, am not criticizing folks for getting choked up 'bout the dead lady in question. if you feels genuine sorrow at the passing of ms. richardson, then Gromnir ain't gonna mock your grief... we simply cannot share your pain. heck, we get all misty-eyed every time we sees How Green Was My Valley, and is just fictional characters dying in that flick.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gromnir has sympathy for the dead actress' family... on an intellectual level.

Isn't that the case for most people? I mean, who here is getting choked up, because of this death or any other celebrity death? Of course there will always be folks who think they can know someone just because they see them on tv, but commenting on something like this doesn't equal feeling genuine sorrow. No one is being told they need to care, so asking why they should seems odd, assuming of course they are asking a genuine question, as opposed to doing an internet tough guy routine. Anyone who honestly has to ask why this single death gets more coverage probably needs to look up the definition of celebrity.

If Ms Richardson had died in a flood in Bangladesh...?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sando must be in his maudlin phase.

-Elwood Blues

I'm with Hurlshot on this. Granted it's not someone you know. But it's still sad. In it's way. It's emblematic. like when Bambi's mother gets shot. Except that just made me hungry.

The combination of seriousness and joking in this post confuses me.

Anyway, sympathies to friends, Qui Gonn Jin and other family.

Celebrities and skiing just doesn't mix apparantly :lol:

Sonny Bono, Michael Kennedy and now Natasha Richardson.

The first two were ambushed and killed by trees while skiing. Not sure what happened to the latter.

Gene Simmons was badly injured in a skiing accident too a few years ago. I guess if you are famous stick to the beaches and stay off the slopes.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Agreed. Going at high speed down a snowy hill with things that can pop in the way doesn't seem all that healthy to me.

Mind that tree.

What tree?

SPLAT!

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Actually she fell during a lesson on a "Very Beginner" slope. It was probably a concussion that was left untreated for too long.

They just said on the news here (in Montreal we are closer and the media is on this big time) that the first ambulance dispatched was called back because "it wasn't necessary". A second was sent later, when there seemed to be more urgency.

This is the kind of mishap (frequent, by the way) that makes me hate the healthcare system here. Sure a lot of it is free but man does it suck!

My condolences to the families and friends. I didn't know her work very well but whenever a celebrity dies at their peak it's very sad, even if we don't know them that well.

Edited by astr0creep

Jeez, I saw on the news the day before that she'd been in an accident, but they thought she was ok. Those head injuries where you seem ok but actually aren't can be hard to detect until it's too late.

Poor Liam. :x

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Vindicates my long held belief that skiing is ridiculous. However, very sad. I feel sorry for them in the same way I'd feel sorry for anyone. My hairdresser's mum is sick and I still display condolences, even though I've never met the woman.

-Elwood Blues

Vindicates my long held belief that skiing is ridiculous.

it's not ridiculous at all, you just have to be careful and mindful of what can go wrong.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

You slide down the mountain to a pub. In itself a worthy exercise. You then leave the pub and go back up the mountain. This, sir, is as close a definition of madness as I would care to construct. Throw in the possibility of being killed in the process and you're just bonkers.

-Elwood Blues