Dante's Inferno

Purkake

It was Ed Greenwood specifically who lifted the ideas when he wrote the dragon magazine nine hells articles many years ago(back when he was still a decent game designer). I remember oooing and aweeing over those around '85, when I was just a wee lad with freshly minted red box in tow. But it's interesting how those works, Dante's and Milton's, have sort of filled in the religious public's imagination of what hell is like, when such biblical details are non existent. Entertaining fiction taken as wacked out, literal truth by some.

Eurogamer seems very interested in this game:

Video: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/exlcusive-...inferno-trailer

Hands-on: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dantes-i...nds-on-hands-on

I don't know, I like the setting but that video did nothing for me and the text wasn't very reassuring either. Still, if it's a God of War, I'm interested.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

10/10?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hey, the trailer seems to have some production values at least.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's the Gears of War 2 model: create a relentlessly spectacular, set-piece rollercoaster of a blockbuster, and gamers won't care if the core gameplay remains largely unchanged throughout.
No, I guess their target audience won't.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I've never read any of the trilogy. I picked up the Inferno, read a half-dozen pages, and found it boring. Yet, I could tell you about the only two lovers whose love managed to survive hell, how the greedy are chained to massive diamonds and forced to beat one another with them, how the gluttonous become giant blobs of flesh, or that the phrase 'Abandon all Hope Ye Who Enter Here' is carved into the gate of Hell.

Be glad you stopped there. Inferno is marginally interesting but as of Purgatoria and onwards it becomes a complete snooze fest.

Yeah, that's a pretty common complaint. I think that's partly because it's just more interesting to read about folks being punished. It's also partly because of the structure of the work. Can't get away from the last partly, which is that the inferno is simply more inspired. The whole thing is great at what it does, which shows man's complete and abject reliance on divine providence. Now, before we get into a stupid and asinine argument regarding religion, the complexity of the argument (the nuance, if you'll forgive me) evolves over the course of the work. ...And that is something that won't translate well into a video game. As far as the inferno, however, it's probably not a bad setting, especially because of those popular culture references that Maria... um... references. :)

I wasn't making fun of you, Maria. More myself. :more grin:

• 3 months later...

Another developer thinks QTEs are an acceptable substitute for actual gameplay. I curse the day God of War was conceived. Now give me my Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

20795.jpg

Yes, they are making a game based on Dante Aligheri's Divine Comedy. No it's not a story-driven RPG, here's some info: (from here)

[*] The game runs at a solid 60FPS and is brought to life by the excellent animations of its enemies and protagonist.

[*] Dante Aligheri, the Florentine poet of whom the game is based upon, has been turned into a

No, no, Daikatana just smelled like week-old socks.

This smells far worse.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What a travesty this is. They should just rename it "Johnny D. fighting Demons" without sacrificing anything of their "sourcematerial".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yes, Daikatana didn't desecrate a classical piece of literature.

I teach my students about Dante every year as part of my curriculum. I'm really not sure what impact this game will have on that, it could actually be positive in that it will raise awareness, but I have a strong feeling it will do more harm then good.

They need to make a game about Don Quixote next.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

EA is plotting to dumb down the average teenager. Then they do... something. Not sure what. I KNOW ITS A CONSPIRACY THOUGH.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 6 months later...

Just so we're clear... the first boss fight is Death? How the hell can you top that? Who's the final boss fight, Cthulhu?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Just so we're clear... the first boss fight is Death? How the hell can you top that? Who's the final boss fight, Cthulhu?

Yup, the first boss.

They'll probably do something lame and have you fight your evil clone or Beatrice or something.

Cthulhu is pretty weak sauce by Lovecraftian standards, you could start off with him and work your way up through Shub-Niggurath, Nyogtha, Ithaqua and then the Outer Gods. Nyarlathotep or Yog-Sothoth are no pushovers.

Edited by Purkake

What's with the bad 80s cartoons?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: