What you did today

Gorth

Back from Tiamat and 69 Eyes :p Ava Inferi were unexpectedly good. The 69 Eyes were pretty Rock'n'Roll. Tiamat never sounded so good before (I'd seen them twice before) - perfect mixing, good singing voice and exceptionally good guitar work! Even the pretty but samey songs from Prey delivered, with some serious punch :aiee:

WoWsers you saw Tiamat? Awesome!

3 times even!

lucky sod... :ermm:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Hosted hugely succcessful dinner party on Friday night. Everyone still chiilled out yesterday. I so much so, and so well fed that I didn't eat breakfast or dinner yesterday and went to bed at eight. I just woke up at nine (ish).

The event went as follows:

Openers:

A platter of salt meats and fresh pave bread cut into chunks, served alongside a dipping bowl of olive oil that had been put in a jar with salt, dried chillis, garlic chunks, and fresh rosemary for three weeks. Just before serving the oil had three fresh basil leaves put in it.

Wine was a 2006 Chilean Merlot from Rapel in Chile. Rich and dark and full of fruit but not too sweet.

Music was Anouar Ibrahim

Main 1:

I loused up the real main course so had to improvise. Pork spare rib steaks marinated in coriander seed, chilli, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil, slow roasted in foil. Spare rib steaks are shot through with fat, and don't go dry. Sweet potatoes mashed with fried garlic and leek, and goats cheese. Plain bulgur wheat. String beans fried with garlic, almonds, plenty of salt and pepper, and a slug of orange Californian dessert wine (my own invention, and bloody good).

Wine was 2007 garnacha from Spain. Garnacha is a rare grape on its own, but it went down very well. Violet coloured, light, and with more flavours than I can remember. Cut through the oils.

Music was Norah Jones ( I know, I know).

Main 2:

About an hour later the slow cooker finally delivered. Lamb shanks seared in bacon fat, garlic, and rosemary, then slow cooked in tomatoes, oil, and pepper. Served with any side dishes from Main 1.

Wine was 'Fireship Red', from Australia. It doesn't say what grape it is. I bought it under advisement, and wasn't disappointed. Cheap, but rounded, and sweet. Enough weight to go with lamb. Not so expensive it was wasted at this time in the evening.

Interlude:

Shorts were delivered at this point. Rum, bison grass vodka, and malt whisky. Thus giving me time to make a pudding since everyone still seemed hungry, or at least gluttonous.

Music was Tom Waits.

Pudding:

Like the beans, this was my own invention. First was to half fill a loaf tin with a dough made with beef suet, self-raising flour, brown sugar, a little coffee, and plenty of cinnamon. Pretty ugly mixture, but everyone's too drunk to care. Into the oven at some temperature or other. While this was baking, on a very low heat I melted a block of dark chocolate, and stirred into it a whole tub of double cream. by good luck this took exactly the same length of time as the baking (about thirty minutes). I took the opportunity to chop a load of strawberries into thin slices.

Once the batter had turned brown, but frankly while it was still not properly cooked, I pulled it out, and while still hot, poured a cup full of amaretto almond liqeuer over it. Sizzling and great smell of almonds. But could have been any liqeuer really. Before it could all evaporate, however, I poured over the chocolate cream sauce. I then floated a decorative pattern of strawberry slices over the surface. The purpose of which was to give the spurious impression this was a healthy fruity pudding. Cherries would have been very good, but might have sunk. So you have about an inch thick layer of almond cinnamon cake, covered in a two inch layer of chocolate sauce, and layered with sharp fresh strawberries.

Most people were drinking rum at this point. There was no music that I can remember.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I got a 79 on my accounting exam. Complete bs but I kind suspected something like this would happen. Things went ominously well and I thought I was doing really good even though I didn't prepare but I'm still kind of stumped because I don't know where I really went wrong. Vengeance will be mine, someday.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I got a 79 on my accounting exam. Complete bs but I kind suspected something like this would happen. Things went ominously well and I thought I was doing really good even though I didn't prepare but I'm still kind of stumped because I don't know where I really went wrong. Vengeance will be mine, someday.

Accounting can surely be strange at times. I had an exam in an accounting-course once (wanted to try it out for a change of pace), leaving me flabbergasted and completely uninterested. I scraped by and asked the examinator, while giving the test, that hopefully he will make something out of it. He answered that it looked quite ok.

I got 98%

My friend, who really was interested in accounting, and later got a Master's Degree in Economics after his Bachelor's degree in Engineering, thought that he excelled as well, but only got "measly" 80%. He still brings it up sometimes; "How the hell did that s*** happen?". Then we usually laugh and continue drinking.

I wish that would've gotten the same results in my Engineering studies on Master's Degree-level, alas, it only happened way too rarely to affect my mean score.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Went to a wedding, came back. thought about using my middle name rather than my first. I've never really liked my first name that much, my middle I kinda prefer.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm filling summer job application forms, this one is for Amuri museum area in Tampere, and listening to NIN.

I know, I'm pretty boring.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hosted hugely succcessful dinner party on Friday night

Most people were drinking rum at this point. There was no music that I can remember.

That food sounded great. Good work, Walsy, good work.

Hosted hugely succcessful dinner party on Friday night

That food sounded great. Good work, Walsy, good work.

You should try that pudding recipe. It was deadly simple.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm filling summer job application forms, this one is for Amuri museum area in Tampere, and listening to NIN.

I know, I'm pretty boring.

summer job prospects are supposedly going to be in decline of like 15%. Good luck. :p

and nice job wals it sounds like everything was a success and it sounds like your meals were quite worldly and delicious. I'm proud of you. But you're not as lucky as me. My mom is making "homemade" tomato sauce for raviolis tonight. Various canned tomatoes and some preminced garlic (that doesn't add garlic taste) thrown into a pot and shazam its like an authentic italian meal. Sigh....at least I get to look forward to work this morning to!

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

My friend, who really was interested in accounting, and later got a Master's Degree in Economics after his Bachelor's degree in Engineering

i've actually considered getting a degree in economics now that i've reached the terminal degree in engineering. either that or statistics. unfortunately, UCCS does not offer statistics degrees, other than an MS in mathematics, and i've already had all but one of their statistics classes, and they only have an undergraduate economics degree. somehow we* offer a PhD in nursing and one in psychology now... go figure.

of course, it's all an academic exercise for me to think about these things since my wife has made it clear she'll divorce me if i go back to school again. maybe next semester, eh? :p

taks

*i say "we" because i now work for the school, albeit only a 1 hour class.

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Benefit of the weak economy and cold weather: Many restaurants around DC have extended their annual restaurant week deals for a second week.

Thus, I snuck out of work to meet up with my wife, a cousin of hers who is visiting from out of town, and my brother-in-law (who was showing said cousin around some of the sights) for lunch at Zola. 3-course lunch at one of DC's better restaurants for just over $20 each. I'll be working late to make up the 2 hours I was out of the office, but that fantastic seared tuna (rare, of course) over lemon-garlic spinach, served (oddly enough) with some excellent onion rings was more than worth it.

Edited by Enoch

Thanks, Sluggo. Sorry to hear about your exam results being bad. I hate to say it, but I'd have been disappointed if you'd been too successful. Time now for you to become a master sushi chef or something.

-Elwood Blues

Back from Tiamat and 69 Eyes :x Ava Inferi were unexpectedly good. The 69 Eyes were pretty Rock'n'Roll. Tiamat never sounded so good before (I'd seen them twice before) - perfect mixing, good singing voice and exceptionally good guitar work! Even the pretty but samey songs from Prey delivered, with some serious punch :)

WoWsers you saw Tiamat? Awesome!

3 times even!

lucky sod... :sorcerer:

Yeah lucky.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

About to hand the Final essay for my IB studies... God I hate this program.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Why is it that every time she goes overboard with the booze, I have to both stand the ire and then pick up the pieces in the morning?

I frankly am a bit perturbed over being a constant punching bag. Sure, your uni going down the drain by the minute, sure, your parents aren't exactly the best of the lot, but why does it fall on me to be both the caretaker and the lover despite whatever she decides to utter when drunk? I really do love her, for the first time ever I love anyone so much, but...well, no "but". Rather, why is it required that I be the elder brother and the concubine as well? Uh, sometimes I wish we never met anyone else, especially when under the influence, but that just happens to be the way Finns work. I don't know whether to blame the environment, the history of our frankly pitiful nation, the baaaad weather or the economic depression, but I had a lot less drama and a lot more good honest encounters with foreign students and mates than Finns. What is it that we as a nation fear so much in other people that we need a token amount of alcohol in bloodstream in order to function as reactive and supportive individuals in social encounters? And why is it so ingrained, this dichotomy of taciturn vs. under the influence and jolly, into our psyche that alcohol turns everyone into a completely different person by default?

And, as perhaps the most interesting and enchanting part of this grand devilry, why is it that I never forget anything, never change the way I think, never suddenly lust after the same sex or suddenly brood over really simple and of zero consequence things no matter how much of that damned fiendish liquid runs inside me? It's sometimes disheartening to be so against the cultural norms and mores of this sad sad society.

On that note, some of us could learn some tact and some social skills like reading each other enough to spot individual differences in taste, manners, philosophy etc. It is not really that hard to achieve.

Now, I have a BA thesis discussion and a chance to talk about sources with my superviser in 7,23 hours, so I guess I should get some shut-eye right about now.

At least, shut-eye until the missus decides to come home. Funnily enough, I just realised that it was our district that faced the latest late night rape scandal this year. I'ma call her right now.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I'm watching Barack Obama's address to congress and I keep wondering if Joe Biden is sleeping or is he texting.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

You talk too much. Drink, perkele.

Perkele.

kirottu said:

New avatar! From BLEACH!

Kuchki Byakuya, his Zanbakto releases by disintegrating into flower blossoms... however each petal is a blade that he can use

kuchiki-byakuya-bankai1.jpg

When you see it animated you'll see how powerful it actually is.

mmmm chibi

byakuya.jpg

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm annoyed with our neighbor's 4 outdoor cats, since they've all decided our yard is litterbox when I'm not looking. In the city/suburbs, indoor-only cats, yes, that's the ticket. At least dogs can't jump fences. And if you can't afford to spay/neuter your cat(s), don't get one.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Byakuya is likely the gayest and GARest former villain in shounen, heh.

kirottu said:

I'm annoyed with our neighbor's 4 outdoor cats, since they've all decided our yard is litterbox when I'm not looking. In the city/suburbs, indoor-only cats, yes, that's the ticket. At least dogs can't jump fences. And if you can't afford to spay/neuter your cat(s), don't get one.

Our neighbor has a few cats who wander outdoors. But the only drawback I've seen so far is the recurring muddy pawprints on our car. Along with the squirrels, they give our (indoor only) cat something to stare at out the window all day.

Edited by Enoch

my cat wants to be outside, too, but not because of other critters outside. no, he wants to go out there and eat the grass so he can throw up on the carpet later. this fact makes it very easy to catch him when he escapes (often, because the 5-year old holds the door open), however, because the mongrel squats down and starts stuffing his face immediately upon reaching the grassy part of the yard.

taks

comrade taks... just because.