LA Noire

Maria Caliban

I have trouble imagining Rockstar pulling off a film noir setting. While GTA and Bully are both good properties, noir usually carries the expectation of subtly and sophistication. It would be like Bethesda conveying a grim, post-apocalyptic vibe in their setting.

Anyway, link.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I wonder why its set in LA though? Palmtrees, beaches and rollerskating bikinis doesnt feel all that dark to me.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I wonder why its set in LA though? Palmtrees, beaches and rollerskating bikinis doesnt feel all that dark to me.

LA is one of the cities most associated with film noir along with Chicago and New York. Check out Chinatown.

Go rent "Double Indemnity" and "The Big Sleep"

Yep, those two as well.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Ive seen those, but I dont recall them actually taking place in Los Angeles. They were recorded there obviously, but not set. Or am I confused here? I also seem to recall that the lady from shanghai takes place in the french riviera.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I can't find the link, but I read a good article about Raymond Chandler, noir, and chivalric legends.

Actually just go read Raymond Chandler. You won't regret it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ive seen those, but I dont recall them actually taking place in Los Angeles. They were recorded there obviously, but not set. Or am I confused here? I also seem to recall that the lady from shanghai takes place in the french riviera.

All the Phillip Marlowe books - 'The Big Sleep,' 'The Long Goodbye,' 'The High Window' - were set in LA.

I can't find the link, but I read a good article about Raymond Chandler, noir, and chivalric legends.

Are you thinking of Ernest Fontana's "Chivalry and Modernity in Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep." ?

I'm intrigued, though the trailer seemed utterly useless and what little it offered seemed fairly cliched. That's perfectly acceptable in a game if they stylize it enough--I wouldn't expect literature. I'm glad it doesn't look like they think noir is something Frank Miller invented in the early nineties.

L.A. is definitely an acceptable setting for noir--hell, I'd say it is the cradle of noir. James Ellroy is probably one of my favorite authors, and he considers LA integral to the noir movement.

Actually, watch this thing if you want an explanation--and a laugh.

Looks more interesting than GTAIV, that's for sure.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, I demand an abundance of mysterious and dangerous women for me to... explore :(

• 3 weeks later...
Watch the trailer. Its clear you haven't yet.
The Maltese Falcon, too.
LA is one of the cities most associated with film noir along with Chicago and New York. Check out Chinatown.

Haven't seen that one yet myself. Its on my list though.

Team Bondi will be doing it, and its got cred on account of the guy who did The Getaway is doing it. Never played that, so that cred is meaningless to me. I'm constantly checking their site. And nothing.

Remember to check movie L.A. Confidential from 1997.

I wouldn't be suprised if police from game would be very similar to ones in the movie.

Come think of it, then yeah, it really has the L.A. Confidential wibe.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have trouble imagining Rockstar pulling off a film noir setting. While GTA and Bully are both good properties, noir usually carries the expectation of subtly and sophistication. It would be like Bethesda conveying a grim, post-apocalyptic vibe in their setting.

Anyway, link.

Rockstar isn't developing the game, GTA is made in Scotland, and Bully in Canada. Two different studio's.

P.S. I don't think it'll be very good, but that's for other reasons, like crap artwork.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

The Maltese Falcon, too.

That's set in San Francisco. Hammett tended towards San Fran and NYC as settings. James Elroy and Raymond Chandler used L.A. more often (or fictional cities that were clear stand-ins for L.A. and/or it's surrounding communities).

The Maltese Falcon, too.

That's set in San Francisco. Hammett tended towards San Fran and NYC as settings. James Elroy and Raymond Chandler used L.A. more often (or fictional cities that were clear stand-ins for L.A. and/or it's surrounding communities).

Its worth watching for the sake of it being film noir.

Wow, don't they have anything else available to look at other than the one video which dates back to the launch of the PS3?

Short answer, no. The last update on their site 8 months 2 weeks ago, closer to 3 weeks now. Animation expansion for the final push of the game.

Eh...Hammett was better, IMO.

Actually I found Chandler to be a big struggle to read, in general. Not a fan of his style.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It would be like Bethesda conveying a grim, post-apocalyptic vibe in their setting.

*ppssstt* They did that with FO3... in case you didn't hear.. just saying.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta