Any good games coming out?

Karzak

Armored Princess

need moar

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

They still make good games?

Haha! Remember who went all doom and gloom at Fallout 3? Remember how that turned out? :ermm:

She was only the second worst idiot:

I hope this game has as much success as FOPOS enjoyed.

Lookslike I was right about this game being a worthless POS Oblivion with Guns. I still like to know why the hell did Bethesda had to go about and ruin Fallout even moreso than what Interplay did. If they wanted to rewrite the rules system and interface that it is totally unrecognizable to the originals they should have made their own original IP instead of this crap. Seriously, is Bethesda that brain dead that they can't come up with original games any more?

They should sticky that old Fallout 3 thread. Pure comedy.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Haha! Remember who went all doom and gloom at Fallout 3? Remember how that turned out? :lol:

Dark Raven's never going to live it down.

But let's be honest. Upon hearing Bethesda was doing Fallout 3, who didn't go >_< ? With maybe a little :o ?

There was a little Dark Raven in all of us.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Actually, I wasn't concerned about Bethesda handling Fallout at all. They've never made a horrible game. Sure, there games are often flawed and their storytelling and dialogue are usually lacking, but at worst I figured we'd have a solid post-apocalyptic sandbox to explore.

I was still surprised at how fantastic the game turned out though.

Haha! Remember who went all doom and gloom at Fallout 3? Remember how that turned out? :lol:

Dark Raven's never going to live it down.

But let's be honest. Upon hearing Bethesda was doing Fallout 3, who didn't go >_< ? With maybe a little :o ?

There was a little Dark Raven in all of us.

/me raises hand!

I'm even hoping that Deus Ex 3 is a good game, because you know, I like good games! :o

Haha! Remember who went all doom and gloom at Fallout 3? Remember how that turned out? >_<

As a decent, but deeply flawed, game that did not live up to the originals? :o

They've never made a horrible game.

Remember Oblivion? :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I seem to recall those Elder Scrolls spinoffs being pretty awful. And Arena wasn't very good either. As for Oblivion, compared to Morrowind and Daggerfall, it was a huge disaster.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm not talking about sales or anything like that. I'm talking about basic design.

Heja Sverige!!

I'm not talking about sales or anything like that. I'm talking about basic design.

My comment still applies, you big drama queen.

Then what, prey tell, was NOT a disaster about that game? I really cannot think of very many redeeming qualities about the vanilla release - and that's coming from someone who wasted quite a bit of time with that game (albeit a modded version). :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I don't think I could ever play a Bethesda game. They just look so awful and cheap. It doesn't look like they actually got the budget they did.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

My comment still applies, you big drama queen.

Then what, prey tell, was NOT a disaster about that game?

I'm sorry but the onus is on you to back up your claim, I'm not doing you job for you. I'm wasn't even commenting on the game itself, just saying that calling the design a huge disaster is a ridiculous overreaction.

I'm sorry but the onus is on you to back up your claim, I'm not doing you job for you.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is one of the most overrated games of all time. The original, unmodded Oblivion was, without a doubt, nothing out of the ordinary and should never have achieved the level of praise that it did - although I can understand how some people might have gotten entangled within the hype. Not only was the plot unoriginal and predictable, but the the very game seemed rather humorous and one-sided.

There was almost no real "role-playing" to speak of unless one initiated it themselves -that is to say, played a character a certain way even though the game might allow for more options- as every character could do everything without penalty or restriction. Why the hell would the thieves, who have very strict policy against murder and dislike the Dark Brotherhood, accept a member, if not the leader, of the assassins' guild -the aforementioned Dark Brotherhood- into their ranks? Why would the easily recognizable Arena Champion be allowed to waltz around in Dark Brotherhood amour or walk away from the scene of a murder without someone recognizing him or her? Why would a serial-killer be allowed to join the personal bodyguard of the new Emperor? Such questions are never answered, but instead we are supposed to rationalize that everyone is incredibly ignorant and incapable of passing along news and information (a function that even user-made modules have been able to implement without much trouble).

The level-scaling also detracted from the role-playing experience as everything and everyone was tied to your hero - I say hero because there was no "evil" option in the main quest, only the normal "you need to save the world" rigmarole. Oh sure, it's nice that your level one mage can kill a few things without being decapitated, but does that really need to extend to "bosses" and other high-level NPCs? For instance, read this description and see if it describes the kind of person a first-level charatar should be able to defeat: "The King of Worms, Mannimarco, is a powerful necromancer in Tamriel and the archenemy of the Mages' Guild. He was originally an Altmer and a Psijic, and a contemporary of Vanus Galerion. At some point Mannimarco broke away from the Psijic order (as well as Galerion, who went on to found the Mages Guild) to further practice his necromancy, and this is the point at which he actually first styled himself "King of Worms". From Scourge Barrow in the Dragontail Mountains, he has cleverly played all the political games and powers for millenia. His influences have even reached Summerset Isle, the homeland of the Altmer. The Sload, the necromantic slug-like creatures living in the Thrassian Reef, worship him as a god." Come on, are you really saying that a game that lets you kill some of the most powerful opponents, such as the aforementioned "King of Worms," at level one, with a rusty iron dagger no less, deserves an almost-perfect score?! Doesn't that ruin the entire world for you?

Another thing that bothered me was the focus on combat. Sure, we all like a little sword-swinging now and then, but does every encounter need to end with a bloody corpse or two? Why cannot the player decide if they want to kill the bandits or aid them, why cannot we choose to help the blackmailers by enticing more men to their lair? I guess you enjoy reading what you supposedly decided, but I think that any self proclaimed "role playing game" should at least try to let the player control the outcome once and awhile. Off the top of my head, although I will admit it has been some time since I played a non-modded version of Oblivion, I cannot come up with more than a handful of quests that actually let you significantly alter the outcome and even those are weak compared to any of the really great RPGs. Oh, but I was forgetting, there is that little mini-game you can play to influence people! I guess Todd Howard was not joking when he said "fantasy, for us, is a knight on horseback running around and killing things." Oh yeah, and did I mention the game will not even let you use items if they are flagged as "owned" - talk about breaking immersion and role-playing...

Talking about combat, it was not that great either - but I guess you could have predicted by now that I would have some detracting comment to spew out. All it really comes down to is sniping people from a distance, blowing people up with magic spells, or a combination of blocking and stabbing/blunting. I guess I must have high standards or something, but is that really a boring system of what? I mean, it may be entertaining for the first hour or so, but after that... well let's just say it looses some of its appeal. Of course spears, crossbows, and throwing weapons are not making an appearance in this game, I guess they were either too much work or too hard for Bethesda to manage after they spent all that time perfecting the gallons of blood that are seemingly kept inside everything you stab.

The AI is atrocious, although it is still better than some I have seen, and is more entertaining than formidable in most combat situations. Making guards fight each other, and anyone who started to help either one, is commonplace and easy to accomplish; while NPCs who are engaged in a task will often stand, or sit, still for you while you go on your murderous way. Oh yes, don't let me forget the mudcrabs - who would ever do that, their being such an critical talking-point in the world of Oblivion! Todd Howard says, "I'd say the "Radiant AI" system, and the NPC life. It's something no one has ever tried on this scale, and we're just starting to see how powerful it is, and how we can translate those NPC behaviors into meaningful gameplay." Yep, that "Radiant AI" is sure great - and, no, of course Bethesda, id est our "old friend" Todd Howard, wasn't exaggerating what it would be like before the game came out. Too bad I've seen much, much older games have more convincing worlds, maybe next time they'll get it right though.

Skills were, in keeping with Bethesda tradition, more dumbed down than the last game! Yes, your ax is a blunt weapon and one feat shall govern both daggers and greatswords! Isn't that logical! Oh yeah, we've also made it so anyone can take any skill and you really need X, Y, and Zed - so forget about making unique characters because they'll all end up similar due to our defective, simplistic system! Even things that showed promise, such as the ability to invest in shops, were squandered by Bethesda and turned into boring, idiotic experiences. But I guess you get what you pay for when you buy a game that was designed for, as Gavin Carter puts it, "...casual gamers who are neither 'hardcore' nor 'RPG geeks'."

Although there is more I could criticize, I think that I will end this now. In conclusion, Oblivion was not a "bad" game, but neither was it a "good" one - and certainly not a one that should have been given "100%" by most reviewers. Now, if you are playing a modded game, things are different, but the original was nothing to laud.

-Hurlshot

I understand your complaints Deadly, I really do. I didn't say "Every Bethesda game is the pinnacle of excellence." But they haven't been horrible, and that is backed up by the only real thing that matters in business, sales. They have an audience, that audience buys their games, and that audience has even expanded over the years. You are putting forth an opinion, and I'm not trying to tell you it is wrong, I'm just asking you to see that there are enough people that disagree with you to make it a minority opinion.

People enjoyed Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Arena, and Redguard. They were playable, garnered solid reviews, and generated solid sales. So I expected Fallout 3 to be all three of those things.

Only in bizarro land was Oblivion a huge disaster.

Hey, that's where I live!

And let me tell you, here Oblivion is a total pile of poo. One of the worst games ever made.

And btw, both Battlespire and Morrowind were pretty badly flawed. MW was almost as broken as Oblivion. Just broken in a different way.

I will certainly give credit to Bethesda for rising above their usual level of ineptitude with FO3, but that doesn't make some of their previous games any less inept.

I am hoping that ES 5 will be influenced more by FO3 than by any of the previous ES games.

I should point out that I haven't played FO3 yet, but I am assuming its pretty good because so many people liked it. :ermm:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

And let me tell you, here Oblivion is a total pile of poo. One of the worst games ever made.

It's hard to take your opinion seriously, but at least you actually played this particular pile of excrement.

Keep on truckin', you crazy anti-fan.

I should point out that I haven't played FO3 yet, but I am assuming its pretty good because so many people liked it. :ermm:

Many people like Oblivion, and that's one of the worst games ever made! And considering how inept Bethesda are, it's far more likely that FO3 is, in fact, a huge disaster.

Clearly, "huge disaster" was a poor choice of words. The important bit in my statement was "compared to Morrowind and Daggerfall".

If you make a list of what was good, or interesting about Morrowind and Daggerfall, you'll see that pretty much what was good about those games was deliberately excised from the design in Obilvion, while a lot that was crap about them was kept or exacerbated. They also added new features that failed to improve upon the original design in any way, and in fact made the game worse. All this sounds a lot like a disaster in game design to me.

Heja Sverige!!

Wait what? I am the only one left here that hasn't bought/played Fallout 3 yet, let alone even seen anyone play it?

Sad, sad, sad. What happened to you people who hated it the most? :ermm:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy