What's up with games that don't feature subtitles?

And what's up with crappily placed subtitles? I remember Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines where you had to look up in the corner everytime you watched a cutscene. :shrugz:

As someone who doesn't use english as a first language, subtitles are very important for my enjoyment of the game and it seems really strange when games seem to ignore or shaft them.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Not to mention the fact that a lot of times games use unusual and/or made up words or the voice actors have poor ennunciation skills and without subtitles, I don't have any idea what somebody just said half the time.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

yes to subtitles.

not only are they incredibly easy to do & profoundly important in terms of making games accessible to the hard of hearing, but they're also mighty useful for hearing folk like me who want to skip through the recitation of less-than-essential dialogue (i'm looking at you, mass effect)).

dumber than a bag of hammers

i prefer subtitles because i read quite quickly and after playing through a couple of times you really can't be bothered hearing the same old slow paced dialogue again and again

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I always use subtitles, and it seems like most of the game without them are the ones that don't have separate volume controls for voice and sound effects/music, so I'm constantly raising the volume during dialogue and then lowering during action. Annoying.

I suspect that the lack of subtitles in SWFU and Mercs2 was just another corner cut in production. Since we're seeing more and more games without subtitles, I suspect some suit somewhere noticed that people didnt complain too much about it, and so decided that they could be cut.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's a localisation saving procedure... That and implementation time is circumvented.

No Subtitles == Saved

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I also hate how the default subtitle setting is off. Playing GTA 4 I played through the intro until I got to the part where I could actually control it, then enabled subtitles and restarted the game because I didn't hear anything from the intro.

Or then you have the subtitles from Dead Rising, where some dialogue isn't spoken so you have to rely on them, but you can only read them if you're sitting 6 inches from the screen.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Anyways, you can't read or write American either, Volo."

Is that the best you got? A weak flame that I've heard so many times it's beyond laughable. l0l

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Anyways, you can't read or write American either, Volo."

Is that the best you got? A weak flame that I've heard so many times it's beyond laughable. l0l

It's not a flame. I'm just going to wait patiently and hope someone else will explain why my initial post, which you decided to jump all over, was just a silly joke. Why are you being such a bully?

Bully? Asking for evidence when someone gives a blank statement is being a bully now? WOW. My apoligizes.

Anyways, joke or not, the bigotry - even from actual Amerikans- that deem it okay to insult my nieghbours to the south is annoying.

And, if you wer ejust joking why did you follow up with this anecdotal gem: "My evidence is seven years as a teacher."

L0L

Anyways, in the end, no biggy.

More on topic: Games should feature subtitles so peopel can choose to either read or listen. *shrug*

P.S. I'm Kanadian, I don't need to read and write Amerikan.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.