*The* DRM thread

Gorth

Even if you change something on the computer, if you don't uninstall it, does it use an authorization?

I believe it will recognize the change and make you use a new authorization, if not then people could simply copy files from PC-to-PC and play the game that way. :ermm:

I don't think I've ever heard of software doing this. I mean, I can add ram, change a video card, ad do quite a few other things and even my OS will not skip a beat. That would be a serious issue, but I'd like to see more documentated cases of this actually happening.

plugging in and then unplugging new HDD to my machine triggered new activation for my windows XP... Few people had activation of Mass Effect triggereed after plugging in new monitor and similar stupid things...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I believe it will recognize the change and make you use a new authorization, if not then people could simply copy files from PC-to-PC and play the game that way. :ermm:

Usually there is a registry entry or ten to prevent that from happening.

Even if you change something on the computer, if you don't uninstall it, does it use an authorization?

I believe it will recognize the change and make you use a new authorization, if not then people could simply copy files from PC-to-PC and play the game that way. :no:

I don't think I've ever heard of software doing this. I mean, I can add ram, change a video card, ad do quite a few other things and even my OS will not skip a beat. That would be a serious issue, but I'd like to see more documentated cases of this actually happening.

plugging in and then unplugging new HDD to my machine triggered new activation for my windows XP... Few people had activation of Mass Effect triggereed after plugging in new monitor and similar stupid things...

:o That's pretty terrible!

What makes me wonder about the whole piracy argument is this - can't you just copy a console play disc and play it on a modded console? And wouldn't that mean that in fact console piracy could be many times higher than assumed by download statistics? Who'd bother downloading, when they can conveniently and cheaply rent and copy?

Personally, I always had a gut feeling that discrepancies in sales are in much greater part due to the fact that with a console game, you can buy, stick it in and be sure that, by and large, it will work.

While with the PC games, we go into the land of insane (and often false as printed on the box) hardware requirements, bugs, and DDRMs that can screw one's entire system or at the very least make playing rather uncomfortable. And the DDRMs used aren't even clearly labeled on the box, nor are there any instructions inside explaining what might set them off!

Thus, the paying customers have been trained not to impulse-buy, not to buy on release on the PC and ideally to wait until the most egregious problems have been fixed - which usually means budget price.

IMHO, developers need to concentrate on providing stable, working content aimed at _medium_ current PC rigs, not the bleeding age or tomorrow's technology and trump with gameplay and art direction, not with the number of pixels. All this AAA talk is misleading anyway, as the majority of truly successful recent PC games had relatively modest system requirements. They should also stop assuming that a legit PC gamer is computer-savvy and will find a way around their bloopers. That may have been the case back then, but it is certainly no longer true. Something along those lines, and not the ever more draconian DRMs may turn around the current trend.

I just don't understand why they just don't stick with using CD keys like they did in the past. Piracy is something that is going to happen so they might as well stick with the way that doesn't annoy the hell out of their paying customers.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

That's a good point. Downloads are not the entire extent of piracy. Anybody who has ever been to Asia for an extended period of time knows that pirated copies of games are simply sold there - in many cases entirely openly (depending on country) and often even in big department stores. Not that DRM has stopped that, of course, and nothing will stop it as long as the governments in those countries don't take much stronger action against such practices.

Piracy is something that is going to happen so they might as well stick with the way that doesn't annoy the hell out of their paying customers.

Because they like to think that their customers are helpless addicts, who'd upgrade constantly to be able to experience the newest pixels per square inch record, who _should_ be savvy enough to get around any performance issues and bugs (both inherent and DRM-related) in the unfinished games, or what do they think they are doing, owning a PC? And those imaginary lemming buyers can _only_ be side-tracked from a day one purchase of something, that will become playable later, after a few patches, by piracy. _Nothing_ to do with ease of use, or quality or stability, not at all :sorcerer: . Way to bury one's head in the sand, I say!

I mean, probably a half of computer owners now use a laptop and they likely outnumber the whole of the console owners by a large factor. But is anybody interested in making new games aimed specifically at them? Of course not! Not much scope for phat graphics on a middle-of the way laptop. For some reason games for DS can get away with simpler graphics, with being in "dead" genres, with being turn-based, etc. But for PC?! Not AAA enough :x .

For some reason games for DS can get away with simpler graphics, with being in "dead" genres, with being turn-based, etc. But for PC?! Not AAA enough :x .

Is it really true that consoles are seeing a greater proportion of turn-based games and less emphasis on graphics than PC games?

Yes, especialy if you like japanese games and storyteling, you'll be in gamer heaven... I was orthodox PC only gamer until i was 28, when i decided to purchse me Wii and Playstation 2 and i tell you it was one of the best choices i have ever made, just dont do a mistake and never buy EA game on it, or you end up forking out 50 EUR for 8 hour long game... I finnished only 4 games so far (i purchased 16 so far for consoles :x), and every single one had 90 - 130 hours played when i finnished them (not counting endless hours when I was figuring out tactics for optional bosses on my own without peek into gamefaqs) i dont remember when i had so much fun with PC games...

and yeah if you want to have maximum fun possible, buy only exclusive titles, you can then rest asured that they spent all the time at polishing it into perfection, instead of trying to make crappy port just to be sure they can hit release date for all the platforms simultaneously...

CD keys are pretty annoying.

Having to play with the CD in the drive is annoying. CD-Keys are fifteen seconds of typing in numbers before chucking the booklet in the booklet bin.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

For some reason games for DS can get away with simpler graphics, with being in "dead" genres, with being turn-based, etc. But for PC?! Not AAA enough :x .

Is it really true that consoles are seeing a greater proportion of turn-based games and less emphasis on graphics than PC games?

Yes, especialy if you like japanese games and storyteling, you'll be in gamer heaven... I was orthodox PC only gamer until i was 28, when i decided to purchse me Wii and Playstation 2 and i tell you it was one of the best choices i have ever made, just dont do a mistake and never buy EA game on it, or you end up forking out 50 EUR for 8 hour long game... I finnished only 4 games so far (i purchased 16 so far for consoles :shifty:), and every single one had 90 - 130 hours played when i finnished them (not counting endless hours when I was figuring out tactics for optional bosses on my own without peek into gamefaqs) i dont remember when i had so much fun with PC games...

and yeah if you want to have maximum fun possible, buy only exclusive titles, you can then rest asured that they spent all the time at polishing it into perfection, instead of trying to make crappy port just to be sure they can hit release date for all the platforms simultaneously...

I am not really interested in Japanese games/storytelling, but that maybe because I have not really tried them. Regardless, that information is very interesting indeed and something I would not have suspected in the slightest. That said, console gaming is not really an option for me, since I move around too much and have to do so on a single plane ticket every time, which puts a weight limit on my personal possessions of about 50kg.

That said, console gaming is not really an option for me, since I move around too much and have to do so on a single plane ticket every time, which puts a weight limit on my personal possessions of about 50kg.

Reading this again, it sounds almost like I have some Paladin-like wealth limit! :shifty: Just to clarify: This only applies when I am not back home in Slovakia and is not entirely accurate even when I am away, but you get the picture - basically, no superfluous electronics like a TV or Consoles are an option. A computer is fine, as I need it for work too... and happily can also use it for gaming.

“‘I'm guessing that half of them (people complaining about Spore's DRM) were pirates, and the other half were people caught up in something that they didn’t understand,” he says. “If I’d had a chance to have a conversation with them, they’d have gotten it.”

Quoted from Gamasutra

Edited by Deraldin

then EA is retarded

I think his 0.2% comment was only metaphorically meant. He could certainly have chosen a more accurate verbiage, but he probably just meant to say a 'small minority'.

It's tough to say what proportion of gamers care about DRM and to what extent. Lots of people probably still don't even know that DDRM exists or what it does. Being the most informed on the matter in my wider-family, I will certainly make sure that all my family and relatives find out and can avoid games with DDRM at a distance.