EA does it again!

ramza

SecuROM as been discussed and discussed so much and it causes arguments in threads. If you want to talk about DRM SecuROM then please use another fansite forum. If there is any change you will be able to read it on the official Spore site.

Please do not continue to post theses thread or you account may be at risk of banning which in some cases would mean you would need to buy a new copy to play Spore.

I really cannot believe this! These guys try to silence their customers on the DRM issue! In other words, they don't give a crap about the complaints from people who have actually paid to play their games. It is the duty of every producer/distributor to listen to what their customers have to say so as improve their product satisfaction and incite them to buy more games in the future. EA is doing exactly the opposite! Moreover, these very same customers run the risk of losing their registration and may need to buy a new copy of the game (Spore)!

That's it for me! I don't care about games made by EA (and BIO, if they decide to put DRM in Dragon Age). I like games but they are not a vital part in my life. I will just replay some of my older ones (which are A LOT better than the newer ones by the way) and I will be able to save my money for something else...

I can understand that it is EA's right to decide on which terms their software is going to be used. I simply disagree with those terms and therefore refuse to buy their games. Buying a game is like a contract: you either agree to its terms or not. The answer is obvious to me: there is absolutely NO WAY that I am going to buy a game that only allows for 3 installations! I have uninstalled and re-installed each of the games I own at least 5 times.

Links:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26564

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/3869.page

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I agree with you, Ramza, and the best way to deal with EA is just not spend money on their games. I gave their DRM a try on MEPC and to be honest I didn't like it, nor the problems that I had with Vista while trying to get the damn game to work. So, its back to my EA boycott. One consumer isn't going to make a lot of impact, but I do hope that I am not the only one who is doing this and I doubt that I am.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

So don't discuss it on the forums. Email them or, better yet, send a snail-mail letter of complaint. They'll soon find out there's nowhere they can hide. ;)

Emails are easy to ignore which is not the case of public forums where everyone can read your thoughts and learn what problems you have met with EA's software.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

What gets me that they will ban you from playing a game you bought and paid for, and its not even a MMO.

Yeah, that's just a whole new level of stupidity. How stupid can you get? I'm not even angry, all that surprise leaves no room for any other emotion. ;) They're just making sure I never buy Spore, I think.

It just shows how it takes a long time for any attitudinal change to roll out across the industry. Some people realised years ago that banning negative discussion is the worst way to do public relations; others are still failing to realise that simple truth.

Oh, and for people who said "I don't care about DRM as long as/as far as it doesn't affect me"?

We can see how the online activation, which seemed relatively innocuous (to such people) at the time, turns out to be a mechanism by which EA can rob you the game you paid for because you lodged a complaint on their official website. That's my point. It may not affect me/you today, but as DRM gets more draconian and more powerful, the number of ways in which it *could* expands dramatically.

EA is awesome. They make some of the best games ever (NHL 09 4 THA W!) so they could do whatever they want as it seems to be working consideirng how successful they are. They seem to be giving what enough customers want to be so successful. Good on EA for doing what their fans want - make awesome games that are vastly better than older games.

P.S. NHL 09 > NHL Original ('92?) - NHL 07.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I wonder if this is the limit for alanschu? A company that can "ban" you from playing the game you own if you happen to express an opinion..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Who gives a crap about NHL anyway? Hockey is not that much popular here in Europe anyway...

People here usually play the FIFA and NBA Live series... Both made by EA... But these brands are always sure to be successful...

Actually, they aren't doing what all their fans want, Volourn. A good chunk of their PC fanbase do not want DRM. We will have to see how successful their PC sales will be in the future. I don't see this effecting Console sales in the slightest. What platform is that hockey game on, Volourn?

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

"What about NHL 08 vs NHL 09"

Too close to call at this point.

"Who gives a crap about NHL anyway? Hockey is not that much popular here in Europe anyway..."

Who gives a crap about Europe? L0L

And, yeah, hockey is popular is Europe. There's a reason why European leagues dish out moolah for their players. And, skilled European hockey players don't come out of thin air either. Nice try, though.

btw, Coming back with 'soccer is more popualr than hockey in europe' only proves two thinks: a ) you are a doofus, and b) soccer is more popular than hockey in europe. It doesn't stop hockey from being popular in europe.

"People here usually play the FIFA and NBA Live series... Both made by EA... But these brands are always sure to be successful..."

Pretty much all of EA's sports brands are popualr to one degree or another.

"Actually, they aren't doing what all their fans want, Volourn."

Actually, they do. This is why they're successful since I've been told that without the fans/customers, companies are nothing.... Well, like them or not, EA is anything but 'nothing'. Those who are bashing EA are NOT EA's fans. On top of that, you can't please ALL of *any* group. L0L It's silly to even try.

"A good chunk of their PC fanbase do not want DRM."

Define 'good chunk'. Most of EA's fans simply don't care about DRM one way or another - as long as the game(s) work and play and for most people they do. *shrug*

"We will have to see how successful their PC sales will be in the future."

Notwithstanding other factors, I doubt they'll be much different. DRM will have little to no effect to their bottom line in terms of sales.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This is kind of like way back when I was playing a mod, and when people started complaining about a certain feature on their forums, they just banned everyone who complained, anyone who mentioned the bans, and they forbade any further mention of said topic.

Thats brilliant community management.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Most of EA's fans simply don't care about DRM one way or another - as long as the game(s) work and play and for most people they do. *shrug*
This is true, and it's probably the crux of the matter. Because it's probably too early and not many people have suffered from inability to play games they paid for because of the DRM, yet.

Remember Starforce and Ubi? That wasn't something that happened overnight, either.

SecuROM as been discussed and discussed so much and it causes arguments in threads. If you want to talk about DRM SecuROM then please use another fansite forum. If there is any change you will be able to read it on the official Spore site.

Please do not continue to post theses thread or you account may be at risk of banning which in some cases would mean you would need to buy a new copy to play Spore.

>_< EA customer service at it

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Have you guys seen this?

Yep. On that issue, you have to balance it out:

1) They did good on listening to people's complaints and making it not so bad now.

2) The restrictions are still there, however, as witnessed by this new and even worse abuse of the activation code right in this thread.

3) The fact that they fixed what they did wrong, doesn't mean that we should forget they did it in the first place.

4) And no, (2) and (3) don't invalidate the goodness of (1). I'm not taking you for an idiot Moatilla, but rather, I'm sick of how the debate as a whole keeps shifting between black & white, so excuse me on this.

Anyway, yeah, y'know what this makes me think of?

Raise the bathwater temperature little by little, nobody will complain, but they sure will die.

Have you guys seen this?
The good news is this: EA are taking a big step back on Spore

EA doesn't have an obligation to its customers to keep a forum up at all. I'm not sure why people are up in arms about this.

It seems to be a much bigger deal that they are relenting on the DRM measures. I'm starting to get the feeling some folks are just looking for a reason to whine about EA.

Board moderation isn't anything new. EA is not the only company to do it.