What you did today

Gorth

i've been in two unions in my life and i hated 'em both. neither was a trade union (teamsters and oil/chemical/atomic workers aka OCAW), which are a bit different. my brother is a mechanic in some union, but i'm not sure which it is. he hates the union, too, but it's better than the alternative (shop foreman doesn't make as much money).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Nobody really likes the people in charge of the Teacher's Union, but they dislike the people in charge of the School District Office a lot more. They are both politicians, but one is fighting to pay you as little as possible and one is fighting to get you the most money because they get a cut of it.

But school districts are pretty different than most industries. Administration doesn't actually want highly qualified teachers, they want young teachers who come cheap. They don't make more money based on performance, so there is no real motivation there.

which has always been a big issue for me w.r.t. education in the US. i've had some really, really bad teachers in the past. heck, my 6th grade reading teach was dyslexic. um... hellooooooo! fortunately, i've also had some really, really good teachers, and so far, john (my son) is off to a good start with his kindergarten teacher (mrs. biondo said this, mrs. biondo said that... he's always rambling something about her).

taks

ps: my uncle was an english teacher for 40 years and he hates the union, too. he taught in a backwater town in missouri, however, and actually got along with his administration as far as i could tell... had to, the town was so small that disagreements were always public and getting anybody to teach was difficult, let alone good teachers.

Edited by taks

My mom is a Junior College teacher and hates the union and I remember in highschool we had a union that was literally counting the minutes that they had to teach and if they taught over that they started fighting with the administration of the school. I had some really bad teachers in my highschool, and liked two teachers (because they were flexible and taught more my style than the others) who were forced to either retire or move schools.

nix that actually one of the teachers got forced to move because she was politically a left in a EXTREMLY right school

her club that she was the advisor for (the gay-strait alliance) almost caused a riot with the other students for having an anti war protest on campus grounds.

anyway I don't have the semi union job and I'm ambivalent to it but I think doing it would be best for me.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

her club that she was the advisor for (the gay-strait alliance) almost caused a riot with the other students for having an anti war protest on campus grounds.

uh, sounds to me like she got forced to move because she almost started a riot on school grounds. protests are generally frowned upon at public schools... ;)

taks

I don't think school grounds are the right place to have a political protest about anything. School should be a place for debate, not tub-thumping. No offence intended, Calax.

My new lodger is proving a fething menace. We played about two hours of Company of heroes today, followed (on his insistence) by six hours of Serious Sam, co-op. No running done. Very little work done.

Must do better tomorrow.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, you'll drink to anything, though.

In any news, I crashed multiple helicopters and planes carrying Nick on board today. It was for the good of humanity.

Also, I made a nuclear submarine detonate with Nick on board. Win-win.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

how about you take your flame-bait somewhere else. :)

But you shout at us no matter where we take it :(

Hmmm... Do I, or do I simply respond when you either a) spam post in a thread that I have an interest in or b) attempt to bait me? :sorcerer:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Guest The Architect
Learn to evade torpedos you flaming idiot.

And you better learn how to evade his fists.

And children, too.

Edited by The Architect

Hmmm... Do I, or do I simply respond when you either a) spam post in a thread that I have an interest in or b) attempt to bait me? :)

Stop baiting you freaking spammer, this is nothing to do with what you did today.

Not like me, making a relevent post about how I spent 8 hours encoding videos today.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

So I was making my lunch for work tomorrow (I'm like a little school boy again, but I only have a half an hour so it would be like impossible to eat out or probably even take out, plus I'm extra frugal) and I had just worked out as well so I'm jonesing for protein and food so I'm eating roast beef and my one cat, who is cute as a button and about 15 pounds over weight is just sitting up looking at me with his big bold innocent beautiful cat eyes just staring at me ravaging this bag of cold cuts, so I let him have two little pieces, and he just goes ape s. He got a taste and just developed the hunger. Running around, biting the floor, and just a general edgyness that a cat would get when on pcp. It was pretty awesome.

Also I heard this joke in my business law class and thought of you walsingham. "Contracts will make you whole but torts will make you rich." ZING haha he he ha ha he ha ha he he pretty good amirite, enoch knows what im talking about :x

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I've been sick as a dog for the last week and a half... but I managed to get about ten levels on my Shaman (WoW) so it wasn't a total loss......

Oh, AND we're closing on a house the 15th and getting married on the 18th... so I've been stressed out trying to take care of all kinds of things for both the house and the wedding.

No wonder my stomach is in such bad shape.

Edited by qt3.14159

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Oh, AND we're closing on a house the 15th and getting married on the 18th... so I've been stressed out trying to take care of all kinds of things for both the house and the wedding.

Wow. The then-fiancee and I took a break from the house hunting a couple months before the wedding to avoid exactly that perfect storm of planning and stress. Good luck. And congratulations.

@theslug: The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Thanks! Unfortunately, Enoch, we needed someplace to live... my kids and I have been living with my parents for almost two years and he certainly didn't have any place for us all... so, we couldn't get married without a house... when we got the contract in place we finally confirmed the loosely planned wedding...

Really we're just going to the courthouse on the 17th and having a party on the 18th... but there's still plenty of stress even without a real wedding.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

No wonder my stomach is in such bad shape.

i can sympathize with stress induces gut problems. ooof.

i slept in today. of course, it was my own fault for staying up late, but hey, i needed a lazy day. :sorcerer:

i'm now reading the ballot information booklet CO sent to me.

taks

briefly caught up with a girl i haven't seen in about a month after work yesterday

i've missed her :)

then went to a bar and had a glass of wine with some friends

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

My stomach is in bad shape because I ate a bleu cheese turkey burger last night and a custard filled monstrosity this morning. But they were both too good to turn down.

i would prefer "indigestion" over "functional dyspepsia" any day. really.

taks