What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

Try running in administrator mode if you have any more problems, that's seemed to have helped people who get the CTDs.

i am an administrator since i don't create accounts. at least i think i am.

That's not the same as running an application in administrator mode, or at least I'm fairly certain that's the case. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

nope, XP pro with SP3. how does one run a program in administrator mode then? never actually heard of that. i've heard of windows compatibility mode for older programs...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

nope, XP pro with SP3. how does one run a program in administrator mode then? never actually heard of that. i've heard of windows compatibility mode for older programs...

taks

I know this is an issue with Vista, where programs run by an an account belonging to the administrators group (as opposed to THE administrator account) still aren't granted full administrative privileges unless specified by the user. I don't think the difference exists in XP, but I may be wrong.

it took me a bit to get witcher going. i failed to realize that i had turned of direct3d in order to get BG to work properly. soooo, i got that "you don't meet the minimum requirements" thingy a few times and was getting steamed... then i said "i'll pull up dxdiag and prove i meet the requirements!" hehe. anyway, the intro movies are cool. unfortunately, i've had two crashes that pop up the dreaded windows "windows has encountered a problem" yadda yadda wanting me to send some information to them. not a chance on that, but i think it is running now. about to test it out.

taks

For me, the game still crashes. Often enough that I save every two or three minutes since I hate replaying stuff. Having to save that often is a little distracting and somewhat irritating, but I've already been burned several times by forgetting to save and then getting a crash.

Its just funny how I can play a game like Wizardry 8 which never crashes. Or a game like Oblivion or the WItcher which just can't seem to get out of their own way. I'm pretty much through with paying full retail price for games at this point.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

i don't blame you. it ran fine for me through the intro. the first crashes were probably related to having d3d turned off, which i rectified. the next (and last) crash was when i went to change graphics options (advanced tab) and hit "accept" and got the "send report" dialog box. i rebooted at that point and have not had an issue since. not sure if it is "fixed" or not, since the only indication will be if i get another crash. so far so good.

taks

i don't blame you. it ran fine for me through the intro. the first crashes were probably related to having d3d turned off, which i rectified. the next (and last) crash was when i went to change graphics options (advanced tab) and hit "accept" and got the "send report" dialog box. i rebooted at that point and have not had an issue since. not sure if it is "fixed" or not, since the only indication will be if i get another crash. so far so good.

taks

Good luck! Its a fun game, but completely unpredictable crashes can make even fun games a bit of a chore. AT lest in Oblivion I learned there were certain areas would have a tendency to cause a crash and could pretty much restirct my saving to just before I entered that area. In The WItcher, the crashes can just happen anywhere for no obvious reason.

I find it somewhat amusing that some people get all wound up over DRM, but don't seem to mind buggy games and hideous customer service. I know which bothers me more.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

yeah... i agree. never had a real issue with DRM (other than some music CDs i can't play anywhere but my computer), but crashing gets old. hopefully i don't have that problem anymore. guess i'll find out the hard way.

taks

yeah... i agree. never had a real issue with DRM (other than some music CDs i can't play anywhere but my computer), but crashing gets old. hopefully i don't have that problem anymore. guess i'll find out the hard way.

taks

I think the DRM is the crashing or its the disk because I would crash alot until I got a no cd crack for it. it's sad that we have to resort to having that but it's true.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Not really playing yet, just "sampling" a few new purchases.

Installed and patched S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky. It looks great and with the ambient sounds is just a spooky and atmospheric as I had hoped for. As for gameplay? Time will tell :nuke:

Currently installing The Witcher EE. Talk about filling up the box :)

Game manual, game guide, small novel plus 3 disks. One with the game, one with the game soundtrack and music inspired by the game and one with some bonus game content and a "The making of" movie.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think the DRM is the crashing or its the disk because I would crash alot until I got a no cd crack for it. it's sad that we have to resort to having that but it's true.

Just make sure you remove the TAGES protection, it's easily done and will make sure that the DRM does not activate when you play with a fixed .exe - although it, TAGES, will re-install if you ever play from the disc again.

securom2gu8.png

So, after having hear the repeated effusive praise about it for the past several years, I finally decided to play Deus Ex. (Back when it was all the rage, my response was simply "shooter = not interested.") I am alarmed to report that it is giving me motion sickness in much the way that Portal did. I had attributed my gut-based aversion to Portal to the fact that it often puts the player in situations where (s)he does not know which way is up, but that element isn't present in Deus Ex (so far). I have played other 1st-person games before without problem (e.g., Oblivion), so I'm not sure what's causing this. Next time I boot it up, I'll try turning off the option that makes the camera bounce up and down as the player moves.

I am alarmed to report that it is giving me motion sickness in much the way that Portal did.

That's one of the side-effects of getting nano-implants.. Yes, it's that immersive!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I've played a bit of the LittleBigPlanet Beta, and I must say this is the most creative and fun experience I've had since Portal. No wonder, this is developed by ex-Lionhead employees, so it gotta be hilarious. Sooner or later I'll wind up picking this game up.

Some... Not all

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Started a replay of Culpa Innata. Nearly finished it last time, but sometime near the end there was a crashbug, which made it so I couldn't proceed. Hopefully I'll have more luck on my new computer.

Anyways, the game is a pretty unique one. One of its strengths is the setting which may not be a a believable development of the world today, but is nevertheless quite an interesting future. It feels pretty solid, which helps the game tremendously.

The main weakness as I see it is that the game takes to long to get going. Now, I don't mean lots of talking in my games but in Culpa Innata it really feels as if the game stands absolutely still at times, there is no real pacing forward. No sense of momentum.

Still, since I returned to it there obviously must be something good. It's a fascinating game.

I really hope that the sequel don't mix it up with a lot of mystical mumbo-jumbo which could be a real death-blow I think. I also don't like that we'll be now playing two characters, but we'll see how that goes.

Still playing Hinterland a bit, quite addictive.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

taks

Good luck! Its a fun game, but completely unpredictable crashes can make even fun games a bit of a chore. AT lest in Oblivion I learned there were certain areas would have a tendency to cause a crash and could pretty much restirct my saving to just before I entered that area. In The WItcher, the crashes can just happen anywhere for no obvious reason.

I just finished chapter one in The Witcher EE. Not a single crash so far. I hope that is/was a feature of the non-EE version :*

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i made it through most of the first chapter then got one when i talked to shani at the inn (at the end of the chapter) and walked out. only one since the first day, however. i'm in chapter 2 now.

taks

i made it through most of the first chapter then got one when i talked to shani at the inn (at the end of the chapter) and walked out. only one since the first day, however. i'm in chapter 2 now.

taks

What are your thoughts on the game so far (I've only just started chapter 2, never played it before)?

I love the atmosphere of the game. Voice acting is not "BIS/Obsidian/VMBL" quality, but the main characters have a nice, dry way of delivering their lines. If they could just have gotten rid of that "boxed in" feeling of artificial barriers and a one foot high fence that you can't jump over. Environment Gfx are decent and the characters very well made. Sound fx are decent and the ambient music suits the slightly gloomy atmosphere. Combat... well, it's there. The less, the better really. So far, the story has been compelling enough to make for an enjoyable experience.

Not having the for crpg's so archetypical glitches of course helps too on the overall impression of a polished game :*

Finally found me a copy of MotB! So I'll be playing NWN2 soon at last!

But tell me, is there a specific installation order with patches/essential mods etc I should keep in mind?

Also, I convinced a pal of mine to come play Mortal Kombat 3 with me on the condition I'd play Bloodlines, which he's been quite stoked about for a while now. So I'll be playing that one in the near future as well. Which character builds are recommended, and which ones should I steer clear of?

What are your thoughts on the game so far (I've only just started chapter 2, never played it before)?

I love the atmosphere of the game. Voice acting is not "BIS/Obsidian/VMBL" quality, but the main characters have a nice, dry way of delivering their lines. If they could just have gotten rid of that "boxed in" feeling of artificial barriers and a one foot high fence that you can't jump over. Environment Gfx are decent and the characters very well made. Sound fx are decent and the ambient music suits the slightly gloomy atmosphere. Combat... well, it's there. The less, the better really. So far, the story has been compelling enough to make for an enjoyable experience.

Not having the for crpg's so archetypical glitches of course helps too on the overall impression of a polished game :yucky:

i love it so far.

voice acting seems pretty good, AFAIC, much better than a lot of titles. i've heard the EE is better than the original in this regard, however. either way, i'm impressed. the one foot barriers are a pain, and a remnant of the engine i guess (in NWN, you simply couldn't go places, fence or no). combat is boring, but neat to watch the uber dominance of the witcher dude. i'm only playing at the lowest difficulty level, however, so maybe it's better at higher levels? the story is definitely better than most, too.

it would be really interesting if you could play as one of the other characters and go their path at the beginning instead. of course, that would greatly complicate the game (but the replay value would be immense).

taks