Your Top 10 Favorite Games of All Time

I think what makes BG2 stand out for so many of us, as well, is that there's no game really like it that's been out since. It's the last of the old-style, turn-based, story-driven CRPGs. So it sticks with us, and many of us have kept playing it. Other games have had games like it made since, even if not as well. But I think it's safe to say that the industry has decided that a 60hour story-driven (but still having non-linear elements and side quests) RPG is beyond the profit margin of companies today given the technology required.

I think they're selling the market short. I know I'd skimp on graphics and have "functional, but not super-flashy" if the story was brilliant and the world attractive.

(And yes, I know technically BG was real-time. But with the autopause system, you could set everything so it played like turn-based very easily. Right down to end of combat round.)

Edited by RangerSG

Highest score, from online game reviewers, have Diablo 1 as the best game as far as I remember.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

Diablo doesn't even make the top 200. Baldur's Gate II comes in at a comftorable 35.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've never played the NWN's or the Fallout's, or Planescape, or System Shock 2, or Bloodlines, or Mafia, or Thief 2 {I played some of the first and could include it because what I played of it I really enjoyed, but to include a game in such a list you really need to play the whole lot}, so my list by no means resembles anything close to a stereotypical games favourite games list.

GODDAMNIT I ALWAYS FORGET SOMETHING

Of course Mafia belongs in my Top Ten - and damn high at that I should add

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

1. Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie, whichever way you put it, doesn't really matter, because I equally love both. I'm also hoping Threeie will replace this top one, or share it's place., on the Nintendo 64.

2. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, on the PC.

3. Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, on the PC.

4. Fable: The Lost Chapters, on the PC.

5. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, (including expansions, as well as mods), on the PC.

6. Planescape: Torment, on the PC.

7. Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction. Had some really fun times on this one, but then I realized, later, that it was just a big time waster, as well as expertised in making its players, as well as me, mad as heck. Still, deserves a place on this list.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, on the Wii/Gamecube. I actually like the story tons better then the actual game play, but that seems to happen a lot. If I was rating the game play only, I'd say Ocarina of Time is better. But I like the story tons better, so...

9. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, on the Nintendo 64. Look above.

10. Super Mario Bros Allstars + Super Mario World, on the Super Nintendo.

Stolen right from another topic on another forum, o:)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Re: BG2 - I liked that game well enough, and can easily admit it outclasses BG1 in a few ways, but I never became emotionally fond of it like I did w/BG1 so it's not on my list.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, (including expansions, as well as mods), on the PC.

What is this herecy? :ermm:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

1. Planescape: Torment

2. Halflife 2

3. Icewind Dale

4. Myth: The Fallen Lords

5. Ultima V

6. Baldur's Gate 2

7. Portal

8. Knights of the Old Republic 2

9. The Witcher

10. Fallout

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Hmm. Now I'll have to try a play through without spellcasters, just to see how the enemy AI responds. Maybe it will be more balanced ??

I disagree with you (imagine that), there are quite a few memorable and challenging battles in that one game then all the NWN, NWN2, IWD2, KoToR games put together.

I have to disagree with that. In NWN2 there are plenty of tough battles, but only if you put in the Tony K's AI mod.

Of course it does make it a tad easier if you are playing characters with high damaging area effect spells. BOOM! Those wizard battles with Qara's former classmates were over after 2 rounds when you can cast multiple fireballs, scintillating spheres, and call lightnings.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Been playing games bit too long to give good list of just 10 of my fav games of all time. Let's try something anyway.

In random order.

GTA - Vice City

Best GTA game I've played. San Andreas had better game mechanics and larger world, but 80's influence and better soundtrack tipped the scale for Vice City.

Team Fortress Classic

Could have also been Quakeworld Team Fortress but I did play this version longer and unlike most who played both TF, I liked physics better in TFC.

Ashero's Call

When the MMOGs where still a very young genre, Asheron's Call tried to take it different direction then EverQuest. I don't think Asheron's Call and it's game mechanics would work for today's MMOG audience, but I'm happy that Turbine took a chance and made this great game.

World of Warcraft

It's Dikumud deriative like EverQuest and most of the other MMOGs available today but Blizzard just about perfected that sub-genre with WoW. For better or worse, this is a good as Dikus get.

Half-Life 2

Tough choice between HL2 and Portal. Valve and Blizzard have some thing in common. They aim for the fun (for the majority of the potential customers) and test game as long as it takes to find that fun.

Fallout 2

Better, larger and more fun then Fallout. Turnbased combat is ok but npcs are still suffer from stupid virus.

Planescape - Torment

Usually I don't care much about the story but PST is big exception. Also best world ever in any fantasy media, even better then Star Wars.

Ultima IV

Sometimes I still can't belive how great the idea was behind this game. No final boss, just virtues (and how you played the game).

X-com - Apocalypse

Majority of the fans hated turnbase / realtime hybrid but I loved it. For me it made smaller or less important fights faster and allowed more control for larger battles.

Baldur's Gate 2

Swansong for the certain era of CRPGs. Very few compromises with difficulty that seem like distant dream in today's game design. Also very long adventure and certainly worth to play thru over and over again.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

What is this herecy? :bat:

I'm a demon, so that's hereacy in itself.

So there! :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ashero's Call

When the MMOGs where still a very young genre, Asheron's Call tried to take it different direction then EverQuest. I don't think Asheron's Call and it's game mechanics would work for today's MMOG audience, but I'm happy that Turbine took a chance and made this great game.

Word. Actually 2 words "Shadow Invasion". I loved Asheron's Call as well. I only wished more MMOG's would learn from the good things this game provided.

Ashero's Call

Word. Actually 2 words "Shadow Invasion". I loved Asheron's Call as well. I only wished more MMOG's would learn from the good things this game provided.

AC was awesome. It's the game that got me into MMO's. Turbine is still pulling off some pretty impressive stuff in LotR Online.

Decided to make my list, since I hadn't yet.

1. Jagged Alliance 2 - I still play through it year after year, and it always pulls me in.

2. Xcom - I'm still hoping that someone will recapture the magic of this game.

3. Quest for Glory - The VGA version was one of the first games I played through more than once.

4. Monkey Island - Guybrush Threepwood rules

5. KotOR - Captured my attention after a couple years of ho hum gaming.

6. NWN PW ALFA - This persistent world really captured my imagination and gave me a PnP experience I missed from High School

7. Asheron's Call - Huge epic world filled with fun events. I made friends in this game.

8. LotR Online - Has really captured my attention over the last year, I think I'm in it for the long haul.

9. Heroes of Might and Magic - 1-3 were just a lot of fun to play hotseat games with friends, and they were easy to learn.

10. WoW - I really loved the early game, it was brilliantly done and the art direction still impresses me.

"NWN PW ALFA - This persistent world really captured my imagination and gave me a PnP experience I missed from High School"

Ahh... So you are one of those actors who think role-playing = talking on a park bench with funny accents, and doing repetive quests. L0L

Seriously, ALFA was a fun little PW; but it wasn't that good at role-playong. It's real strength was social chatting.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Does no one here know of the sheer awesomeness that is Street Fighter 2?

Sure, I played it alot on my Amiga.

It's a great game, but it's not on my top 10. But definitely on my top 100.

Fortune favors the bald.

"NWN PW ALFA - This persistent world really captured my imagination and gave me a PnP experience I missed from High School"

Ahh... So you are one of those actors who think role-playing = talking on a park bench with funny accents, and doing repetive quests. L0L

Seriously, ALFA was a fun little PW; but it wasn't that good at role-playong. It's real strength was social chatting.

Why do you always hurt the ones you love Volo?

In no order:

- Baldurs Gate 2/ToB

- Starcraft/Brood War

- Diablo 2

- Planescape Torment

- Half-life 2

- GTA: San Andreas

- Kotor 1

- Farcry

- Call of Duty 1+2

- Age of Empires 1+2

- C&C Red Alert

- Icewind Dale 2

- Company of Heroes

- Warcraft 3

- Aliens Vs Predator 2

- American McGee's Alice

- No one lives forever

- Zeus

- Commandos 2

- Max Payne

Edited by Star Monkey

Some do:

System Shock 2

No One Lives Forever

Civilization IV

Alpha Centauri

Planescape Torment

Baldur's Gate 2

Fallout 2

Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

Street Fighter 2

STALKER

Tales of Phantasia

Liero

Democracy 2

Jagged Alliance 2

Secret of Monkey Island

Leisure Suit Larry

Prince of Persia

SWIV

Xenon 2

Atik Atak

Jet Set Willy

Sim City

Caesar III

Quake

Match Day 2

Vagrant Story

MotB

Ogre Battle

Ultima VII

I think that's 10, more or less.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1. Super smash bros Brawl

2. Super Mario Bros.

3. Super Mario Galaxy

4. Super Mario 64

5. Mass Effect

6. Kotor 1

7. Diablo 2

8. Diablo

9. Warcraft 3

10. Starcraft

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

1. Super smash bros Brawl

2. Super Mario Bros.

3. Super Mario Galaxy

4. Super Mario 64

Nintendo fanboy lolololololol

Hard to decide for me. They're all pretty even.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Nintendo fanboy lolololololol

Yup yup.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Some do:

System Shock 2

No One Lives Forever

Civilization IV

Alpha Centauri

Planescape Torment

Baldur's Gate 2

Fallout 2

Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

Street Fighter 2

STALKER

Tales of Phantasia

Liero

Democracy 2

Jagged Alliance 2

Secret of Monkey Island

Leisure Suit Larry

Prince of Persia

SWIV

Xenon 2

Atik Atak

Jet Set Willy

Sim City

Caesar III

Quake

Match Day 2

Vagrant Story

MotB

Ogre Battle

Ultima VII

I think that's 10, more or less.

Incredible how I could miss something so blatantly visible.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle