BREAKING NEWS: ALPHA PROTOCOL AI AND COMBAT ARE NOT GOING TO SUCK

Artificial intelligence demonstrated some pretty good features

OMG

sorry Obz, but if there was one thing I've been skeptical over all others it is the AI. K2 and NWN2 (vanilla) AI suck and it's not like BIS had good AI's either...

Despite being an RPG game, the action elements of Alpha Protocol come through very well when you take your weapons out and start firing.

- and firing the weapons felt extremely solid, with just a perfect amount of recoil and punch per shot.The weapons are fully customizable, so Alpha Protocol boasts a wide variety of firepower you can carry with you.

The game plays from an over the shoulder perspective and

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

sorry Obz, but if there was one thing I've been skeptical over all others it is the AI. K2 and NWN2 (vanilla) AI suck and it's not like BIS had good AI's either...

To be fair crappy AI is not limited to just OE/BIS. Are their (m)any games that have impressive AI?

But AP is looking good. Interest level continues to rise.

Edited by Kelverin

As far as presentation goes, the game seamed all of the dialogue choices flawlessly with no hiccups or jerky transitions.

As the cinematic designer, I'm of course glad the scenes are running smoothly, but I'm a little sad that the bar has been set so low that this is considered something noteworthy, and not something assumed as the baseline of functionality.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

They'd just been in Fallout 3 presentation :shifty:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

To be fair crappy AI is not limited to just OE/BIS. Are their (m)any games that have impressive AI?

Well, RPG genre as a whole is in particular plagued by bad AI's.

Great AI's are only handful but good/passable AI's aren't all that unusual in other genres - especially in FPS's and their ilk. If this game had bad AI it would be big hit against games combat when it would be compared to full blown action titles

I remember when Hitler didn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

How real will the "real" locations be? Are you able to recognize Rome as being the real world city of Rome, for example?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

System Shock and System Shock 2 had a pretty devious AI in them.

Yes! And speaking of SS series, so did their spiritual successor, Bioshock. Well, somewhat. Enemies run for cover, retreat to heal if they're hurt, they search for water if they're on fire etc. True, they become predictable after a while but I honestly can't remember any new games with better AI. Though I might be forgetting something... I just have that feeling.

Anyway, back to AP. These two articles were pretty good but kind of short. I certainly liked what I read... but on the other hand, gaming journalists these days are a tad easy to impress. I really can't wait for the first gameplay videos though, to see for myself.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I always remember Far Cry as having great AI for some reason. Oh, and FEAR had almost revolutionary AI, but that AI was very confined (like the rest of the game).

But good to read these positive previews. I mean, I have high hopes for this game, but it's still disheartening reading (other) negative previews.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I always remember Far Cry as having great AI for some reason. Oh, and FEAR had almost revolutionary AI, but that AI was very confined (like the rest of the game).

Never played FEAR so I can't say. As for Far Cry, it had good AI, but a little over the top sometimes. Those pricks could spot you from a mile away. But lets be honest here, Oblivion had the best AI ever. And Fallout 3 will be even better. There's no AI like Radiant AI. :wacko:

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Far Cry AI was awesome apart from one thing:

Those bastards could see you hiding in bush half mile away from them and IIRC you couldn't even hide again from them easily

Reminds me of Vietkong...

I mean the game, not the movement of course :wacko:

And how did this all end up into talk about how sucky AIs can be?

Nobody even noticed the mention of awesome music or "cosplay" awesomeness, sniff

Edited by Xard

yeah, well, I guess...

*hides in the corner*

Hey, as long as the soundtrack is any good I'll play it.

... I have weird criterias. Don't judge.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Artificial intelligence demonstrated some pretty good features[/size]

OMG

Surprising, I didn't really give it much of a chance in this respect, and surprised to see this, but it is a preview, and I have seen many games praised at preview only to get slammed at review time. Good news. :lol:

Additionally, the game implements the usage of costumes which aren't just there for aesthetic purposes, but also serve as a way of affecting gameplay. Costumes are another example of how the multi-path gameplay in Alpha Protocol works -- you can either dress-up and calmly infiltrate an area, or choose not to you and pour bullets.

As long as there is costume where you don't have SPY written on you I'll be happy.

As far as presentation goes, the game seamed all of the dialogue choices flawlessly with no hiccups or jerky transitions.

I didn't expect anything less....

Finally, the voice acting was well done, and the soundtrack complemented it all superbly well.

Again this is Obsidian, what is surprising about this?

The look of the world was very Jason Bourne-like as well and the graphics seemed very polished even at this early stage of development.

It's about time there was a preview not bashing the graphics, from what I've seen of the pictures they were quality, not Crysis level, but neither are bunch of other games which graphics were praised. More important for me is how the game runs, basically what is their realistic goal of FPS.

Alpha Protocol isn't set to launch until Spring 2009, but even at this early stage the build we played was chock full of awesome.

Damn I was hoping for a sooner release instead of autumn (for me), but good things come to those who wait, supposedly......

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Damn I was hoping for a sooner release instead of autumn (for me), but good things come to those who wait, supposedly......

I would actually prefer if the game was further delayed, since I'm a bit worried if they have enough time to make it really superb.

M4-78 Enhancement Project :: www.m4-78ep.deadlystream.com

banneranimatedlucasforu.gif

Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today!