Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir Discussion

If it was the phrase "bi-curious" that offended some, you should know that on Mask of the Betrayer I fought REALLY hard (almost too hard, some might say) to include same-sex romance options, but eventually got overruled by the people who own the people who own the people who own the license.

Another reason, as if one were needed, why Obsidian is awesome. >_<

Forbid if two hot lesbians or two hot studs got it on in the Forgotten Realms. They don't do that kind of stuff. But ultra violence is ok.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Indeed. It reflects the Western world nicely, especially the puritan USA.

Bit of a lazy generalisation isn't it?

Perhaps you mean the "socially conservative bit in the middle most of us fly over sandwiched between the two anything-goes liberal bits on each coast". California has the biggest adult entertainment industry in the world, so how the USA is 'puritan' baffles me slightly.

I do agree, however, that the 'sex is scarier than violence' meme is interesting. It's not a necessarily a Western thing either.

Regards

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I understand it can't be helped, but going back to 3.5 is like going back to dial up after I've had broadband. I mean Level Adjustments - the game has level adjustments.

Wait... "going back to 3.5" is a bad thing?! :ermm:

For me this is a huge attraction of NWN2 and its expansions. I like 3.5E and dislike 4E in PnP. In CRPGs I like 3.5E too and would be much more reluctant to buy a 4E CRPG, though I probably would if I felt it was good in other respect or that the 4E negatives were minimized in electronic format (which, I think, would in fact be the case.

Tony Evans, lead designer interview at Gamespot

Death and dying in Storm of Zehir is closer to the original 3.5 rules, with some 4.0 augmentations.

hmm, what other 4e augmentations are there in SoZ?

will my gnome have a lair?

No, but they do get a new racial power to summon a 1HP badger.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Gamespy preview

Spiffy: Party system; new classes; interesting death system; overland map; beautiful artwork.

Iffy: Wandering monsters; new combat systems haven't worked out well in the past...

Unfortunately, the early version of the game we were playing does illustrate the reason why most RPG gamers hate wandering monsters: They can be impossible to evade, something that probably needs to be tweaked before release. The annoyance of the wandering monsters is more than made up for with an interesting mini-game based on the overland map, in which the players can set up a trading empire by sending out trade caravans, guarding them from wandering monsters, and searching for monster parts for the buffed-up crafting system.

The only real open question we have about Storm of Zehir concerns the aforementioned decision to make character death permanent without a spell, a "life coin" available at Waukeen temples, or trekking back to town a cleric. While the idea is clearly to make combat more interesting by making players care about consequences, as in previous D&D games we just ended up back on the save-and-restore roller coaster. Like the "Spirit Eater" system in Mask of the Betrayer, this may be an effort to fix what's not really broken. We'll see how the whole thing shakes out when the final game releases on November 18th.

Well.... ever played a JRPG? ;)

Like the "Spirit Eater" system in Mask of the Betrayer, this may be an effort to fix what's not really broken.

That's a pretty lopsided way to analyse the SE system. Besides, what is not broken about dead members waking up again with a swoosh and shinies when the enemy moves 10 metres away?

Well.... ever played a JRPG? ;)

Like the "Spirit Eater" system in Mask of the Betrayer, this may be an effort to fix what's not really broken.

That's a pretty lopsided way to analyse the SE system. Besides, what is not broken about dead members waking up again with a swoosh and shinies when the enemy moves 10 metres away?

Everything.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

You know, I just can't take any more NWN. I really enjoyed MotB. I mean that sincerely. One of the best RPGs in a long time. I thought the writing was good, the story was refreshingly non-chosen one driven, and the characters were memorable. ...But I can't take any more of the things that have plagued the franchise from the very beginning. I haven't passed on buying a DnD title in a long time, but this one seems unlikely. I'm more inclined to buy the Alien game and much more likely to buy Alpha Protocol at this point. Well, that depends on whether Alpha Protocal is Console only or not. I can take RPGs on the console, but shooters are still too tough for me to learn. I dunno. I guess anything is possible, but I've had my ear to the ground on this one and I'm just suffering from NWN fatigue.

On the other hand, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong. This will especially be true since I have been such a DnD fan over the years.

I think SoZ is good in that sense - it's trying to be as fresh as possible, and be as unique as possible (in terms of the experiences the NWN franchise offers). Overland map, especially. But yes, I too am dying for a new engine with new combat system and so forth.

Besides... when are we going to get the real next-gen? Like greater level of environmental interaction, combat systems that don't rely on just 'push this button to deal X damage'? Heh. I can dream.

You can now craft your own romantic interest.

Like a vibrator with feelings. Every woman's dream. ;)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Like a vibrator with feelings. Every woman's dream.

Hahaha... *snort*

Anyway, that Gamespy preview wasn't very informative or interesting.

And yep, I think it's a good thing that SoZ is going in another direction. I loved MotB, but another one "just like it" so to speak would just feel forced. Better to try something new, and make it kick-butt in a different way.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I love the concept of crafting, but no SP game I have ever played has ever done it in a way that really made me care about it.

The real 'issue' for me in NWN2 is, I guess, the fact that you have to 'waste' feats on it, to (mostly) make stuff you can buy in shops with your mountain of gold.

However, the new format that SoZ is taking might well make it relevent.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

By the way, has it ever been confirmed that we'll be starting at 0 xp? The OC had the "harvest fair" XP extravaganza to bump us up to level 3 (for 0 ECL characters) right off the bat, but the D&D low-level problems are somewhat mitigated in SoZ with the a 4-person group. (Plus, there isn't much need for all the "this is how you cast a spell" tutoring.)

Wrong.

By the way, has it ever been confirmed that we'll be starting at 0 xp? The OC had the "harvest fair" XP extravaganza to bump us up to level 3 (for 0 ECL characters) right off the bat, but the D&D low-level problems are somewhat mitigated in SoZ with the a 4-person group. (Plus, there isn't much need for all the "this is how you cast a spell" tutoring.)
No, we'll be starting at Level 3, but the search doesn't spit out any developer I could quote, so I might be mistaken. Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority