Mass Effect propaganda - sidequests?

I've had Mass Effect (360 version - ROFLTUNASANDWICH) since last year, which I traded in a few crappy games for. I played the first mission, ended up on the Citadel, and haven't touched the game since. I might actually get back into the game one of these days, once I decide what kind of butt I prefer staring at.

I've heard the game is short. I've heard the sidequests can be outright boring. Planetary exploration was apparently one of the big features of the game before it was released, but I've heard that it mostly consists of exploring empty landscapes.

Just going through the main quest, will the game still be satisfying? Which sidequests could be considered worth playing, or should I just ignore them altogether? I don't mind a short game, I just don't want a 'hahahahahahhaa, that's it?' feeling - just depends on how complete the main game feels.

Thanks, Hades!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Side quests are good for the most part. Only bother going to planets of you have a quest to got there, and don't waste your time with the random collection type quests seen in your journal. Do that, and side quests/planets shouldn't bother you too much. Actual side quests that actually have plot usually are interesting. Otherwise, ignore 'em.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Main quest is entertaining but short

All the sidequests suck for the most part as most of them are;

1. fly to planet (which are all the same, just a different landscape skin)

2. clear out generic bunker of enemy

3. reach target (example: boss, item, hostage)

4. shoot or converse your way out of nasty situation

5. return to ship

it's all good fun the first few times but it gets stale pretty quickly. The main storyline quests are worth a play though as the story is pretty interesting.

IMO, it's worth playing at least through Ferros and Noveria, two of the main-plot worlds. The design, story, and atmosphere on those two planets were really good (i.e., at least as good as anything else I've seen out of Bioware). Once those are done, going on to finish the game will just leave you disappointed.

Edited by Enoch

You guys are actually taking Llyr's post seriously?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Llyr, you making a serious post about something is as rare as an informed Fox News panelist. Also, what is up with the obnoxiously abundant pics in your sig? Pick one, already! Preferably the LOLcopter.

:)

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Besides, if you already own the game, Llyr, just play it and make up your own mind.

Besides, if you already own the game, Llyr, just play it and make up your own mind.

He makes sense. :)

I mean, you paid for it, why not go through it at least? Ignore the sidequests if you want, but they're useful for getting to high levels.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I didn't pay for it, I traded in crappy games for it. I'm not wasting XX hours only to find out later on I hate the game. That's why I was looking for info on how crappy the sidequests were, and whether to avoid or not.

Thank you, Volourn.

Thank you, Krookie.

Thank you, Morgoth.

Thank you, Enoch.

I will make an informed decision based on your advice.

Hadescopy.jpg

I don't own the game, and untimately, like Llyranor, don't want to spend money on somthing from which I come away from going 'meh', Like BG and Fallout, so this is a relevent question.

Hadescopy.jpg

He makes sense. :brows:

I mean, you paid for it, why not go through it at least? Ignore the sidequests if you want, but they're useful for getting to high levels.

I did almost none of the sidequests, and when I realized I'd started the end game sequence, I really thought I was going to have a hard time since I was so low level...

I didn't. It was mind numbingly easy and I'm not even very good at that kind of game. Whee.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Its been a while , since I played it when it first came out on the 360. But for the most part , they are pretty redundant (riding in the mako is kind of a bore, the same interiors are used over and over again, etc.).

I feel like there were some interesting tidbits of knowledge you got regarding a shady organization

called Cerberus

, but most of the info you got seemed relegated to little data disks or purely-text observations your character made.

Nothing spectacularly cool or anything..

Yes.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'd say Yes and No. The nice thing is that there's a pause button. The first thing I'd do when entering combat was hit the space bar to pause and aim. If the target moved, I'd pause and aim again.

I suck at FPS, but because of the ability to pause, the gameplay was much more tolerable.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Question to help me make up my mind whether I should or shouldn't buy Mass Effect: Is the gameplay twitch based or not?

There is nothing twitch about it. There is more auto aim than any other shooter I've played, and you can pause to aim. Also, most of the abilities for the magic user and the bomb person are AOEs, so aim isn't too important.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich