Movies you have seen lately

Gorth

it should be pointed out that titanic was released when movies cost about half as much as they do now, and titanic ended up with over $900 M globally.

i should add that this is why i think it would be nice to hear about the NUMBER OF TICKETS sold, not just the dollar value of tickets sold. the production companies don't want this, however, because it will point out declining sales more readily.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

it should be pointed out that titanic was released when movies cost about half as much as they do now, and titanic ended up with over $900 M globally.

taks

Erm. You DO realise that Titanic had a budget of 200 million dollars (vs. Dark Knight's "mere" 185 million dollars) and was renowned as the most ludicrously expensive film ever, requiring funding from both Paramount AND Fox, and whispered to possibly bring both companies down, right?

taks

Erm. You DO realise that Titanic had a budget of 200 million dollars (vs. Dark Knight's "mere" 185 million dollars) and was renowned as the most ludicrously expensive film ever, requiring funding from both Paramount AND Fox, and whispered to possibly bring both companies down, right?

I think he means "when [going to the] movies cost about half as much". Though the statistics I've heard say the average price of a ticket for Titanic was about $1 to $1.50 less than it is now.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

i should add that this is why i think it would be nice to hear about the NUMBER OF TICKETS sold, not just the dollar value of tickets sold. the production companies don't want this, however, because it will point out declining sales more readily.

taks

To get a perspective on popularity, you could look at the list for all time grosses adjusted for inflation.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Then again, that list is domestic (US only), and obviously other factors can then be considered just as valid, such as ticket price vs. salery (how often can someone afford to go to the cinema?) or the number of theatres showing a particular film during its opening weekend.

Incredible, so all we had to do to destroy Fox was not go to see one of the worst movies of all time?

We don't deserve to exist as a species...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Incredible, so all we had to do to destroy Fox was not go to see one of the worst movies of all time?

Evidently. Luckily I only had to endure seeing it once on DVD due to a friend's insistence that I watch it with her, and, yes, the movie was even worse than I had expected. The best part of the movie was the sinking, I was cheering the iceberg towards the end of the film, although that was not as redeeming to the film as I had hoped it would be. o:)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Though the statistics I've heard say the average price of a ticket for Titanic was about $1 to $1.50 less than it is now.

a little over $2.00, actually. yes, btw, i did mean ticket prices, not the cost to make a movie. the latter wouldn't make sense in context.

btw, that chart you provided, jediphile, seems a bit wonky. titanic's unadjusted gross is over $900 million. in fact, you can still find the original 1998 article when it broke the all-time record for most moolah in 1998. unless the figure of $600 M is US only (some quick checking verifies the latter, actually). considering the bias from coastal states, and the addition of IMAX to the mix, even the inflation-based numbers make it difficult to gauge attendance totals from year to year (which is why i'd like to see those numbers instead).

oh, and i have always heard that GWTW is the all-time king, with star wars coming in a close second. not a surprise to me at all.

i should state for the record that i've never watched titanic or GWTW from start to finish, nor do i plan to. o:)

taks

yes.

another curiosity, btw, would be whether or not the "average ticket price" in these calculators (all of which have different numbers as far as i can tell) take into account population biases. you can't just average NYC and STL since many more people go to see the movies in NYC than STL (simply due to a higher population). there's an interesting statistical problem buried in here that i've often wondered about.

taks

The Last King of Scotland

Forrester Whittaker earned his oscar, although I found it hard to empathise with his weaselly doctor. But a superb film for any young man to see before setting forth in life. The central lesson is worth knowing.

Agreed on all counts. It's one of those movies that I personally thought I wouldn't like much, but I caught it on HBO and it held my attention...mostly because of Whittaker's intense performance.

We saw "Vantage Point" as the weekend DVD rental. A flashy, hyper-kinetic film with an interesting premise but flawed execution. I'm not really sure how they could have done the viewpoint perspective aspect better tho. On the one hand, I enjoyed how each viewpoint revealed more of the story/plot, but on the other, you can't help but realize "I'm seeing essentially the same segment over and over". Still, if you ignore the plot improbabilities and possibly obvious red-herrings and just enjoy it as a sort of mystery-crazy-action flick, it's entertaining.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We saw "Vantage Point" as the weekend DVD rental. A flashy, hyper-kinetic film with an interesting premise but flawed execution. I'm not really sure how they could have done the viewpoint perspective aspect better tho. On the one hand, I enjoyed how each viewpoint revealed more of the story/plot, but on the other, you can't help but realize "I'm seeing essentially the same segment over and over". Still, if you ignore the plot improbabilities and possibly obvious red-herrings and just enjoy it as a sort of mystery-crazy-action flick, it's entertaining.

AHA! i came in here about to ask if anyone had seen this since it came out on PPV this week (probably today, actually). i recall seeing the adverts back when it was in theaters, but don't recall it lasting long. has a fairly good cast (though i don't care for william hurt, he's almost as boring/stiff as costner) and seems like a good premise. worth renting i suppose? i can get it in HD, too.

taks

Evidently. Luckily I only had to endure seeing it once on DVD due to a friend's insistence that I watch it with her, and, yes, the movie was even worse than I had expected. The best part of the movie was the sinking, I was cheering the iceberg towards the end of the film, although that was not as redeeming to the film as I had hoped it would be. :yucky:

I, too was cheering the iceberg. It wasn't just the fact that Sprout Face was bad, but that everyone on the boat had been made out to be an a-hole. I wanted everyone concerned out of their misery. I was particularly confused by my supposedly cheering on the watery tart who cheats on her brand new husband.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Evidently. Luckily I only had to endure seeing it once on DVD due to a friend's insistence that I watch it with her, and, yes, the movie was even worse than I had expected. The best part of the movie was the sinking, I was cheering the iceberg towards the end of the film, although that was not as redeeming to the film as I had hoped it would be. :shifty:

I, too was cheering the iceberg. It wasn't just the fact that Sprout Face was bad, but that everyone on the boat had been made out to be an a-hole. I wanted everyone concerned out of their misery. I was particularly confused by my supposedly cheering on the watery tart who cheats on her brand new husband.

I was cheering the iceberg too. Mostly because it meant the abominable thing was over. Titanic< K3 MMO, and that's saying something.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I also saw In The Name of The King a couple of days ago. I was actually disappointed. The main character was just too untouchable and that made the whole movie feel unrealistic to me. The whole thing was just too fake...

You were dissapointed by a Uwe Boll movie?

I am shocked. Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The only redeeming quality I found to Titanic was Kate Winslet's ample bodied nekkid scene.

:woot:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Evidently. Luckily I only had to endure seeing it once on DVD due to a friend's insistence that I watch it with her, and, yes, the movie was even worse than I had expected. The best part of the movie was the sinking, I was cheering the iceberg towards the end of the film, although that was not as redeeming to the film as I had hoped it would be. :yucky:

I was cheering the iceberg too. Mostly because it meant the abominable thing was over. Titanic< K3 MMO, and that's saying something.

Well, I don't find Titanic quite THAT bad, though I do think it's massively overrated. I mean, 11 Oscars?!? Really?!?

But it is true that you go through almost two hours of agonizing and painfully sentimental melodrama, and the only reason you can endure it is because you know the iceberg is waiting ahead.

When you're waiting for an iceberg to hit as something positive, you know something is wrong... I mean, that's a pretty big giveaway, isn't it?

Sadly I don't think enough people realized that. I mean, it's best selling film of all time - go figure. Yes, I saw it in the theatre too, but only once. It was a decent flick as those things go (despite Sprout Face), but that was about it.

I just realized that I haven't really complained about the new Mummy movie yet. :*

The%20Mummy%20Tomb%20of%20the%20Dragon%20Emperor.jpg

I saw The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor on saturday.

1st I want to start out by saying that I'm a HUGE fan of the 1st 2 films. I never really liked Brendan Fraser because of the types of films he's in, but these movies changed my mind about him. His character is VERY crush-worthy, and he's funny enough to keep the movies interesting.

And I ADORE John Hannah! Goodness, does he make me laugh.

So now, we get to this movie. I will list my grievances first. To be fair, I came into this movie with a piss-poor attitude. I WANTED to hate it. Mainly because I'm such a fan of Rachel Weisz. She's GORGEOUS.

rachelweiszbv0.jpg

Her awkward-dorky-but-learning-to-be-strong take on Evelyn is PERFECT. She and Fraser also have great chemistry. My own belief is that Univeral should have done what ever was needed to get her into this film. Be it $ or script changes what ever. And if that wasn't possible, just write her out. Say she was away. Or something.

Also, no Oded Fehr or even Arnold Vosloo. :ermm: Let's just drop the whole "Mummy" franchise, and call this something new, why don't we?

But this film does take a turn for the better. Mainly when the Yetti appear. And if it's got to be someone new, Jet Li was a good choice. He's always given me the creeps, since I first saw Leathal Weapon 4 years ago. He's SCARY to me.

I need to wrap this up cuz I've got to go.

All-in-all, it was a pretty good film. But it would have been WAY better with Weisz. :yucky:

legoK2.jpg

Check out my KOTOR fan vids on YouTube. And no, they're not of legos.

I'm not a fan of the Titanic, but I thought there were plenty of watchable moments. The love story was obnoxious, but all the side stories about what was going on around the ship and how it went down were good to me.

Guest The Architect

Whoa, whoa, whoa, lets not go too far, gees.