Movies you have seen lately

Gorth

"How about a magic trick? I'm gonna make this pencil disappear..."

:o:o

Great line/scene :o.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

:o:o

Great line/scene :lol:.

It was, but frankly it was sort of disturbing to find myself laughing at it. I mean, yuck... The Joker is totally nuts... And I laughed? He just killed somebody as a joke, and I LAUGHED?!? :o:o

But that's one reason why this movie is so brilliant.

Sometimes I worry about my little brother. We were discussing Dark Knight today and he said he thought the movie was funny. I just about feel out of my chair at that, but thankfully my seat belt kept me in place as I was driving at the time. I asked him why he thought the movie was funny and he came up with several moments that were admittedly entertaining like the "Any ex boyfriends?" comment and the "You don't start with the head" comment. It's just the fact that the most memorable moments for him were the 2% of the movie that wasn't horribly dark caught me off guard because they certainly weren't the most memorable moments for me...

I saw Wall-E. It used pretty extreme hyperbole to make its point, but it was so pretty I didn't mind being preached to for the whole movie.

Great flick. 8/10

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

I saw Wall-E. It used pretty extreme hyperbole to make its point, but it was so pretty I didn't mind being preached to for the whole movie.

Great flick. 8/10

What was the message that it was preaching? I would like to save myself 98 min.

It's a mix of robot boy meets girl love story and environmental awareness. Great date movie imo.

:o-_-

Great line/scene :lol:.

It was, but frankly it was sort of disturbing to find myself laughing at it. I mean, yuck... The Joker is totally nuts... And I laughed? He just killed somebody as a joke, and I LAUGHED?!? :):)

But that's one reason why this movie is so brilliant.

Yeah, I laughed at that and the

slamming of hospital detonator

part, and afterwards, I thought I was a horrible person for laughing at that.

Great flick. 8/10

Not possible. It's distibuted by Disney. Epic fail. :lol:

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Punisher: War Zone :p

Comic-Con 08 Footage

Not for the weak or under aged

They couldn't get Thomas Jane to come back? That's a shame, he made the one a few years back pretty watchable.

It looks like they've got the main soldier guy from Rome (Titus?)playing the part. He was awesome in Rome, but I'm not sure how wel he can pull off brooding. His family man counterpart (Pullo?) is a lot better at the brooding vengeance role, he was more of a "laugh your way through the fight" guy.

To be honest, it looks like too many violent death shots. I don't need to see that many heads explode in a movie. It looked more like a cheesy horror flick. Punisher needs to be done more like the Dark Knight.

I still don't get how anyone dislikes Disney. You really need to examine your childhood.

I don't find animated movies interesting. They seem shallow and BORING. Seriously, why do I need to watch a robot in a post-apocalyptic world? I can do that in Fallout, and that's more fun.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3

It looked more like a cheesy horror flick.

Agree...but it was funny

Punisher needs to be done more like the Dark Knight.

Brooding and unsure of his role? Punisher is all business and is no way conflicted. Do the crime and suffer the consequences. Black and white. No Grey. Payback is a bitch and so is the Punisher :p

Punisher vs. The Joker

Bullet to the head. Game over

Edited by Kelverin

Ah. I didn't mean I want the Punisher to be like Batman, that would be crazy. The Punisher is great the way he is.

I meant I want a Punisher movie shot in a similiar style as the recent Batman movies. That means actual character development and more implied violence than cranial explosions. The Dark Knight was gruesome. The pencil scene is a perfect example. They didn't really show all the goriness, but it was still a disturbing piece of violence.

The original Punisher (Thomas Jane, not the Russian from Rocky) kinda bugged me in that way too, but this new one looks way over the top.

The main thing that bugged me in the Jane version was they introduce this cool villian guy with a guitar who sings this great song, and they killed him off rather anti-climactly. That and John Travolta sucked.

The Lives of Others

Getting back to the other topic at hand, the movie looks interesting but does seem to lack the plot development that other comic inspired movies have had. Still, I like the anti-hero aspect of the character. :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The Lives of Others

Getting back to the other topic at hand, the movie looks interesting but does seem to lack the plot development that other comic inspired movies have had. Still, I like the anti-hero aspect of the character. :p

Looking forward to seeing this. Have heard nothing but positive responses.

Great flick. 8/10

What was the message that it was preaching? I would like to save myself 98 min.

It's a mix of robot boy meets girl love story and environmental awareness. Great date movie imo.

The obvious "message" was about environmental awareness, but it was a bit bigger than that too.

It actually suggested that an over reliance on technology and "others" to fix the problems around you, led to a lack of self-awareness and a sort of earth worm existence - eating and watching just what's in front of you and having no larger function. By contrast, Wall-E has become self-aware through his work of cleaning up and observing the giant messes left on earth, while all of the people have reverted to giant grubs being spoiled by machines.

In short, I think the "message" is that hard work and paying attention to the world around you leads to self-awareness and that self-awareness should equate to environmental awareness.

I think that the message itself is fine. It also would have been fine if they hadn't reverted to such extreme hyperbole to tell it, but then again, it is a cartoon.

But, all that being said, you should go see it... it is gorgeous and really well done.

Speed Racer.

Although the movie is for a younger crowd it was pretty good. The color scheme was crazy and there were a few genuine feel good/pump you up moments throughout. Not sure I'd be able to watch it like 6 times in a 2 week period *ahem qt3* but it was a good movie none the less. Not going to go into a detailed review here but I believe the movie accomplished what it set out to be, nothing more nothing less. I never watched speed racer as a child even though I do recall it being on sometimes, just never my cup of tea I suppose, so coming into the movie was a little awkward. I would have to say a few things bothered me in the film but they were pretty meaningless except one. I don't quite understand the motivation of not doing the reveal to the family in the end. I saw through the twist in the first 15 seconds after realizing the actor was jack from lost and pieced it together but I mean they could have at least capped it off for the children. Then there was the fat kid. He played his part wonderfully, hats off, but I don't know. This could have been an ample time to do some psychological damage to the children in the theaters by like letting the kid have a myocardial infarction in which he dies on the track and gets ran over by the cars. Very tragic but it puts the point across.

8.4379 Hirsh needing to shave his sweaty phantom mexi-stash during close ups of races out of 10

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Speed Racer.

Although the movie is for a younger crowd it was pretty good. The color scheme was crazy and there were a few genuine feel good/pump you up moments throughout. Not sure I'd be able to watch it like 6 times in a 2 week period *ahem qt3* but it was a good movie none the less. Not going to go into a detailed review here but I believe the movie accomplished what it set out to be, nothing more nothing less. I never watched speed racer as a child even though I do recall it being on sometimes, just never my cup of tea I suppose, so coming into the movie was a little awkward. I would have to say a few things bothered me in the film but they were pretty meaningless except one. I don't quite understand the motivation of not doing the reveal to the family in the end. I saw through the twist in the first 15 seconds after realizing the actor was jack from lost and pieced it together but I mean they could have at least capped it off for the children. Then there was the fat kid. He played his part wonderfully, hats off, but I don't know. This could have been an ample time to do some psychological damage to the children in the theaters by like letting the kid have a myocardial infarction in which he dies on the track and gets ran over by the cars. Very tragic but it puts the point across.

8.4379 Hirsh needing to shave his sweaty phantom mexi-stash during close ups of races out of 10

Yay! Someone else finally saw it!

It wasn't six times in a 2 week period! It's nine times since May 11th... that's eleven weeks! And honestly, after the first time I saw it, I really didn't mean to see it again in the theater... but then I got a chance to see it at the IMAX while I was out of town and well, I couldn't pass that up. And it was that viewing that I fell in love with this movie. So then after seeing it in IMAX I had t see it on the regular screen again to compare the experience... then... I wanted to see it again before it left the regular theaters... and then I've seen it in five times since it came to the cheap theater (at the beginning of July - that's 4 weeks!)... and right now, I'm planning to see it tomorrow with the kids again... but that *should* be it until the DVD comes out in September... on the 16th... I'll be at Wal-Mart at midnight... :p

Anyhow! On the Racer X thing... No, I don't think the Wachowskis ever really meant for the Rex/X "twist" to be a twist. At least not for the fans of the series. The movie is full of scenes that make it perfectly obvious who he is and in the series it was always known that X was Rex. I think they included the "reveal" to Speed to reinforce the themes of grief that run all through the movie. One reason he wouldn't reveal his identity to the family is that he is an agent for the CIB and if it got out that he was actually Rex, the family would be right back in danger again. Another reason is a bit of a tribute to the anime in that X never did admit it to Speed, even though Speed confronted him about it several times. Then, of course, there's the obvious have to save something for the sequel bit (which we're not going to get *pout*)... but overall I agree with you. There's no reason X can't tell the family he's Rex... except that he's a big coward and doesn't want to put *them* (him) through that again.

Now for Spritle, as annoying as he was, he was pretty damn perfect for the role. I could have use a little less of the sugar fueled insanity scenes and more of the cut scenes that showed him as more of a person and playing the same role to Speed that Speed did to Rex. But overall, I have to say Spritle and Chim Chim have grown on me considerably. I absolutely love their anime imaginings and the look on Chim Chim's face when he sees Cannonball.

And now... a breathtaking image from the film...

desertyd7.png

Announcer: Oh my god! Did I just see that? A rear single set jump into a flying kick? I know he blew it at Fuji, but this kid is flat-out magic!

(sorry for my rabid fangirl-ism... I'm trying to keep it in check... really...) :rolleyes: