Future Obsidian Games'

Lord2

Well, I've been thinking, why does Obsidian only make games from somebody else title KOTOR (LucasArts), Aliens (SEGA) and Neverwinter Nights (Atari), wouldn't it be kind of cool if you guys could create a own game, that sells like... well, better than any game. And in the last game (don't remember the name) I assume you are working FOR someone too...

Both KOTOR2 and NWV2 were made extremely well, they earned a lot of points on Gamespot and other game rating sites. Just, think about it :lol:

TSLRCM, the mod that Wookieepedia doesn't want you to know about:

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

And while Alien is a known brand, I believe it's the first time (?) that Obsidian is developing an engine on their own. If I understand that right anyways.

Also, it will be fun to see Josh & company can do with Alien in the scope of a RPG.

My main hope for Obsidian in the future is that they will try to develop something more akin to Fallout or Arcanum, something that is very playerdriven, heavy on roleplay and not so heavy on narrative. Obsidians strength is obviously writing if you ask me, but that can still be applied. In fact, I believe Mask of the Betrayer was quite succesful in that regard (in regards of it being playerdriven), but I'd like it to see pushed even further.

I'd like it if they go the way Bioware seems to go with Dragon Age (from what they've said anyways), a game that is more aimed at the hardcore RPG base. I'd be happy with a lower budget game, if it meant being a bit more "edgy".

But yeah, we don't know much about their current projects as of yet, so...

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

And while Alien is a known brand, I believe it's the first time (?) that Obsidian is developing an engine on their own. If I understand that right anyways.

Also, it will be fun to see Josh & company can do with Alien in the scope of a RPG.

Yep, Obsidian's own Onyx engine.

Apparently MCA expressed desire to use the in-house engine to make KOTOR3 if Obsidian gets the opportunity based on the last interview. Pretty much shows Obsidian's confidence in their In-House engine this time around.

Edited by Zoma

I'd like it if they go the way Bioware seems to go with Dragon Age (from what they've said anyways), a game that is more aimed at the hardcore RPG base. I'd be happy with a lower budget game, if it meant being a bit more "edgy".

To build on this I'd like to throw up the idea of of non-traditional settings. AP is quite interesting for me because it will explore a relatively untouched setting and seems to want to do it in an interesting way and that usually helps a game a lot. Not that I dislike DnD RPGs for being DnD RPGs, but most of them, especially the ones in the swordcoast setting, tend to get a bit boring as much of it has been explored plenty. Personally I would like to see Obsidian, or any other developer for that matter, to explore settings which are interesting but not fashionable i.e. steampunk, westerns, non-traditional fantasy etc.

One of the primary reasons that I'm looking forward to Dragon Age is that there is a decent chance that the setting will feel fresh and be interesting.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Well, I've been thinking, why does Obsidian only make games from somebody else title KOTOR (LucasArts), Aliens (SEGA) and Neverwinter Nights (Atari), wouldn't it be kind of cool if you guys could create a own game, that sells like... well, better than any game. And in the last game (don't remember the name) I assume you are working FOR someone too...

Both KOTOR2 and NWV2 were made extremely well, they earned a lot of points on Gamespot and other game rating sites. Just, think about it :lol:

As mentioned, we do have Alpha Protocol in development, which is a unique franchise that we've created in-house. You can check out a preview here.

If your comment about us working for someone refers to working for Sega with Alpha Protocol, then that's just part of the game everyone plays when you try to make games. There are very few developers that also self-publish, at least when it comes to games with the scope that Obsidian likes to include. Working with a publisher helps spread out the risk for everyone involved.

Matthew Rorie

It's going to be great to see the kind of technology the folks at obsidian can come up with, I have my concerns, as Electron as a render engine was heavy on perf in regards to shadows and lighting.

It's a big undertaking, but I also imagine alot of middleware will rear it's head, Havok, perhaps Granny... I expect to see Bink, potentially Speed Tree... So on, unless the intention is to develop a 100% middleware free engine, which would certainly be a huge undertaking... Anyways, final result will be worth seeing.

The two new projects, Aliens and Alpha Protocol may turn out to be the make or break of Obsidian as a company, seems like there is alot of investment going off... I'll be honest mind, I've no clue of how things are panning out in regards to finance.

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

It's going to be great to see the kind of technology the folks at obsidian can come up with, I have my concerns, as Electron as a render engine was heavy on perf in regards to shadows and lighting.

It's a big undertaking, but I also imagine alot of middleware will rear it's head, Havok, perhaps Granny... I expect to see Bink, potentially Speed Tree... So on, unless the intention is to develop a 100% middleware free engine, which would certainly be a huge undertaking... Anyways, final result will be worth seeing.

The two new projects, Aliens and Alpha Protocol may turn out to be the make or break of Obsidian as a company, seems like there is alot of investment going off... I'll be honest mind, I've no clue of how things are panning out in regards to finance.

There'll be some middleware in Onyx. I don't know that I can say specifically what it is, but it's not a middleware-free engine. I don't know that a lot of people try that nowadays...the time savings that come from using middleware are pretty substantial.

Matthew Rorie

There'll be some middleware in Onyx. I don't know that I can say specifically what it is, but it's not a middleware-free engine. I don't know that a lot of people try that nowadays...the time savings that come from using middleware are pretty substantial.

IIRC we already know the physics engine is out-sourced... but what game these days doesn't outsource the physics?

Maybe the Euphoria engine (last seen in GTA4)? The one that "makes Storm troopers hold hands"?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Another thing. If you do get to develop an RPG not based on your own IP in the future, let it be an IP that hasn't been done to death. Like Changeling. Or Dark Sun. Or Changeling. Or Ravenloft. Or Changeling. Or Eberron. Did I mention Changeling?

20795.jpg

Well if Obsidian has an own engine, will it be sold or burrowed to other game companies?

And "starwars", personally I think Obsidian's strength is the game play, the did so well with Mask of Betrayer and TSL, and I'm expecting

the same or better for the upcoming games.

TSLRCM, the mod that Wookieepedia doesn't want you to know about:

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Here's hoping they can make the games they love and the quality reflects that, whatever the setting/theme may end up being. A game so good, you can't help but spend your hard earned income supporting. :thumbsup:

Damn ****ing straight.

Er, Changeling is the oWoD one with fae and stuff?

Yes, that's the one.

If so, arg. /unsigned

You make Hulk ANGRY! :bat:

I would like to see a Demon RPG though. Or Werewolf. Hunter? Problem is, White Wolf would probably not allow a game set in a product line they killed. :(

Changeling does have a new World of Darkness version, on the other hand. :thumbsup:

Eberron offers a lot of D&D freedom and it's not that bad a setting as many claim, but would they want to get back to doing D&D games so soon?

Depends on the setting. Another Forgotten Realms game (unless it's an expansion to NWN 2) is a definite no-no. If it's something else, then why not? We haven't seen a Ravenloft title since 1995, for example. Unfortunately, most of the good settings aren't officially supported by WotC, so it's all highly unlikely.

20795.jpg

This is my first post here so I may as well say where I stand. Personally I think Obsidian has a lot of potential as a developer and it's very good to see them finally stepping out of Bioware's shadow and doing some things of their own. I'm sceptical about Alpha Protocol but the Aliens RPG -in theory- is a quirky but great idea and I'm looking forward to seeing what Obsidian can do. The only reason I'm interested in AP (I hate Spy Settings) is that Mitsoda and Avellone are working on it. If anybody can make a spy setting interesting for me it's those two.

As for what I'd like to OB do in the future, I'd really like to see them do a traditional party based cRPG based on a totally new franchise. I'm talking Arcanum, BG2 or Fallout-like games but with the modern stuff like improved graphics, 3d camera and maybe even some introduction of physics such as weather storms that effect the combat e.t.c. Anyway I'm digressing, I think the guys at OB could really pull a good one off, MoTB and KoTOR 2 proved that to me. Also, I agree with Starwars that OB's biggest strength is their writing. We've yet to see them do a game not based on a Bioware model. This is why Aliens and AP will be interesting: they will show us the quality of Obsidian's game designing.

Depends on the setting. Another Forgotten Realms game (unless it's an expansion to NWN 2) is a definite no-no. If it's something else, then why not? We haven't seen a Ravenloft title since 1995, for example. Unfortunately, most of the good settings aren't officially supported by WotC, so it's all highly unlikely.

Meh, I'd like to see a new Dark Sun, Spelljammer or Planescape game to be honest. Too bad those settings were discontinued long ago. But yeah, no more Forgotten Realms stuff please. Something a little more interesting than generic high fantasy would be nice.

I'd also love for more roleplaying games set in different settings. Alien sounds like it has the potential to be quite intriguing. Alpha Protocl, well... I'm not that big on spy thrillers myself, but it could be fun to explore in a RPG. I'm mostly excited about it being a realworld adventure.

I'd love for Obsidian to develop a super-serious (without the James Bond spythriller edge which I guess we'll see in Alpha Protocol) modern day RPG. I would also love a steampunk one, and why not a cyberpunk one?

And again, about developing lower-budget games... I'd love for Obsidian to develop a "heavy" turnbased game. Think the combat of ToEE, but with a better campaign.

I admit I'm slightly worried about the direction of the company. While I'm not gonna nag on Obsidian yet, I think Alpha Protocol seems like a try to reach a broader market. This makes sense from the companys standpoint, and I definetely think that the game has potential to be good but when one makes such a move I think it's inevitable to lose certain aspects and appeals that the hardcore RPG people (which I consider myself) appreciate. That's why I'd really love it if Obsidian started to develop more "hardcore RPGs" as well, with a lower budget if need be.

In fact, Mask of the Betrayer felt in many ways like that, and indeed, I think expansion packs to NWN2 is a good vehicle for those types of games. But I hope they carry it on in the future as well.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think the whole "Turn-Based doesn't sell" stuff is baloney. I think that a Turn Based game could definitely sell if it was marketed properly. Anyway, according to Leonard Boyarsky, ToEE was by far the biggest seller of the three Troika games and yet it had one of the best and most complex tactical RPG combat systems developed. Of course it was rubbish in the roleplaying department, but still the potential for a Turn Based RPG is there. I've always said that ToEE's combat and engine combined with Arcanum's plot, meaningful choices and non-typical setting would have made an RPG that would have dwarfed even the big shots like Fallout. I'd really like to see a similar Turn-Based RPG developed by Obsidian. Besides, it's not like RTwP games are renowned for their awesome combat (NWN2 was rubbish in this regard.) I think it's an awful design choice personally. Like you said, I'd like to see some more hardcore RPGs developed by Obsidian even if they are lower budget then the AAA titles like Alpha Protocol. Hell, if Stardock -a company that produces 4X million sellers- thinks that a hardcore Ultima-like RPG has the potential to sell decently then I'd trust them on that account.

As for settings, I'd really like to see a Wild West/Weird West cRPG. I know that there are a few PnPs that have covered it but as of yet no cRPG has. It has great potential for a setting. Aside from that, a Steampunk-Fantasy setting like Arcanum or Wizardry 8, a cyberpunk setting, or a hard Sci-Fi rpg (no Space Opera stuff) would be nice.

Obsidian's direction isn't concerning me too much, although I am worried that Alpha Protocol has been compared to Mass Effect more times than it should have. However, I'm still hoping that it will have a Deus Ex, SS2 or VTMB vibe. Regardless, I pray that they won't forget the more hardcore fanbase in their attempts to appease a different audience. Certainly Bethesda have long dumped that section of their audience since Daggerfall and BioWare seem to be going in a similar direction. However, Dragon Age will be an indicator of BioWare's intentions and I'm cautiously optimistic about it. Let's just hope that Obsidian haven't forgotten their core fans and will bring some more grassroots stuff out in the future.

As for what I'd like to OB do in the future, I'd really like to see them do a traditional party based cRPG based on a totally new franchise. I'm talking Arcanum, BG2 or Fallout-like games but with the modern stuff like improved graphics, 3d camera and maybe even some introduction of physics such as weather storms that effect the combat e.t.c.
I'd love for Obsidian to develop a super-serious (without the James Bond spythriller edge which I guess we'll see in Alpha Protocol) modern day RPG. I would also love a steampunk one, and why not a cyberpunk one?

And again, about developing lower-budget games... I'd love for Obsidian to develop a "heavy" turnbased game. Think the combat of ToEE, but with a better campaign.

I'd love a game that combined a Silent Storm-style combat with OE's quality brand writing. Hammer & Sickle had a lot of potential, but in the end it delivered very little in regards to roleplaying.

But maybe there isn't really a market for that kind of games anymore? H&S didn't exactly bomb, but I don't think it was the commercial success that its creators (and the gaming press, with all the hype up until release) expected.

I think the whole "Turn-Based doesn't sell" stuff is baloney. I think that a Turn Based game could definitely sell if it was marketed properly.

It does. Go here.

Enjoy.

J.

I think I'm most after a Cyberpunk type game. I guess you could say SS2 and DX1 (and almost Anachronox) came close. I'm thinking like a Bladerunner RPG or something.

It would be refreshing.

Edit: And yeah, turn-based isometric would be sweet. I think there's definitely a profitable market for it out there even if it doesn't pull in the big bucks of console gamers.

Edited by Krezack