GTA IV gets a perfect 10 at IGN

Meshugger

If Mask of the Betrayer doesn't get a ten, then no game should be allowed to!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Hahahaha, that post delivers.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Pet goat? What the crap

seriously, what the hell is up with you guys? with the exception of Kaftan, no one here has played the damn game yet, but you're all making claims that it can't possibly be the best game ever and can't possibly earn a 10. it's all a little confusing to me, really. at least wait to play the game before you shoot down a reviewer's opinion.

I never said GTA4 didn't deserve a 10, and I probably won't play it (never played any of them). I said a true 10 simply doesn't exist, much like with women (at least that's the theory :unsure: ).

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well by saying that a true 10 doesn't exist, are you saying GTA 4 doesn't deserve a 10?

Yeah, but only due to the natural laws of the multiverse. :unsure:

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

People, people. I would like to point out, while some game actually manages to achieve a perfect "10", there are some shortcomings. The writing might be iffy, the soundtrack bland or there are some balancing issues with the gameplay. But still, it is worth its ten. But this time, the VO, the soundtrack, the 3D audio, the gameplay, the presentation, and the lasting appeal is simply unparalleled within the game genre. For me, it is simply impossible.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No, a 9 means top notch within its genre. You hand out a few 9's every year. You DON'T ever hand out a 10 unless the game is something timeless, near perfect. A 10 is something to strive for, not something to cheapen.

Same thing applies to marking essays.

Ok, as a teacher, that's absolutely ridiculous. Students and parents would lynch me if I had that mentality, and rightly so. If a student turns in a great essay with minimal errors, they get a perfect score. Again, why have the number 10 if it's never used?

Wait, what?

What do you mean by minimal errors? How can you give a perfect score to a student that makes mistakes in his work?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

No, a 9 means top notch within its genre. You hand out a few 9's every year. You DON'T ever hand out a 10 unless the game is something timeless, near perfect. A 10 is something to strive for, not something to cheapen.

Same thing applies to marking essays.

Ok, as a teacher, that's absolutely ridiculous. Students and parents would lynch me if I had that mentality, and rightly so. If a student turns in a great essay with minimal errors, they get a perfect score. Again, why have the number 10 if it's never used?

Wait, what?

What do you mean by minimal errors? How can you give a perfect score to a student that makes mistakes in his work?

I was wondering about that. I wish I had teachers like that when I was in school. I would have a much higher GPA. HA!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I was wondering about that. I wish I had teachers like that when I was in school. I would have a much higher GPA. HA!

That's wrong. The difference isn't significant enough to give you a MUCH HIGHER gpa.

You guys are looking at this from the wrong perspective.

I heard a very interesting podcast a while back in which reviewers lamented the fact that gamers are increasingly turning towards the likes of Metacritic, and only looking at scores and not reading the reviews. Getting a 10 rather than a 9 is quite important for a publisher if its wider goal is to keep the metacritic score up in the 90s. It's the only reason I can think of off the top of my head for risking exposing themselves to such ridicule. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Wait, what?

Are you saying a student needs to get all the answers 100% correct on a math test to deserve an A on that test? And that the same student needs to have 100% on all math tests to get an A in math?

Edited by Spider

Wait, what?

Are you saying a student needs to get all the answers 100% correct on a math test to deserve an A on that test? And that the same student needs to have 100% on all math tests to get an A in math?

No, but that doesn't make them perfect (10) either.

No one is saying 10 is perfect. It's the highest grade achievable, not the same thing. Hell, even IGN:s own definition acknowledges this fact.

Maybe, but 10 or 100% aren't 'grades' per se. An 'A' is the highest grade you can get in school, but between 'A' and 'B' there are a wide range of possible scores. 100 is the highest score possible, and to get that, your work has to be perfect, otherwise points are deducted.

Maybe it's the limited aspect of a *10* scale. 9 and 10 are both As, but 10 denotes perfection.

Edited by Arkan