Food Thread!

Enoch

sushi is pretty much rice rolled up in seaweed, with various sorts of fillings (cucumber, tuna, egg, prawns, etc etc)

i prefer to make it myself

edit: ah yes, unagi is most excellent

Edited by Shryke

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Now that Unagi thingie actually looks delicious

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

TJ's orange chicken is delicious, I am in full agreement there.

My husband and I love to cook and we hardly ever eat the same thing twice. My new favorite site is Epicurious.com, which has tons of fabulous recipes. You can search by ingredient, which is very cool. We've made several recipes from that site. My favorites were Cr

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Yeah, I'm limited to an apartment kitchen, so no grills here. Grilling is a great way to cook sausages, but the sauce suffers because you lose all those lovely deglaze-the-browned-bits-in-the-pan flavors.

We've been looking for a house to buy. A nice propane grill will be high on the to-buy list after we move (propane for weeknight for convenience; I'll probably also pick up a charcoal grill for weekend grilling and smoky flavor).

And sushi is pretty delicious. I've only tried sashimi once and it was pretty good but it's just way too expensive. It's 5 dollars for like 3 pieces and I just can't dole out that kind of cash. My friend got so lucky though. He went with his mom and her boyfriend both of which are rich and they dropped over 300 dollars on sushi, sashimi and sake. I wish I could have eated so much stuff. :'(

hehe i tried it when i was staying with some japanese family members

2 months of awesomely tasty japanese cuisine :thumbsup:

never was all that fond of sake though

Yeah, I'm limited to an apartment kitchen, so no grills here. Grilling is a great way to cook sausages, but the sauce suffers because you lose all those lovely deglaze-the-browned-bits-in-the-pan flavors.

We've been looking for a house to buy. A nice propane grill will be high on the to-buy list after we move (propane for weeknight for convenience; I'll probably also pick up a charcoal grill for weekend grilling and smoky flavor).

Yeah, hubby and I are in an apartment too. As I said, we like to cook but it can be quite a challenge at times since we have next to no prep space and our stove is squashed against a partial wall meant to divide the kitchen from the dining area.

Your recipe for the Italian sausage and peppers sounds good. I'll have to give it a try sometime. :) I'm half Italian so sausage and peppers is like second nature to me. It's unbelievably good, for anyone who's never eaten them. They're also good with ammoghio, which is a sort of Italian-style salsa. My dad makes his so full of garlic you can practically smell it on yourself for days. :thumbsup:

Once we get a house, a grill will be a must for us. We have a grill pan but it's just not the same and we can't grill red meat on it anyway because it smokes up the apartment and sets off the stupid smoke detector. :p

Edited by SweetiePea

For Knights of the Old Republic I fanfic goodness, please visit Sweetie's Works of Fiction

We have a grill pan but it's just not the same and we can't grill red meat on it anyway because it smokes up the apartment and sets off the stupid smoke detector. :p

same problem here

stupid smoke alarms... just let me burn to death in my sleep dammit! :thumbsup:

at least i'll have eaten some good food before i die

same problem here

Ha! So it's not just the U.S. smoke alarms that are overactive, then.

Aside from food, I'm also a big wine and tea enthusiast and I've been known to bore my husband to tears with tea talk. :p He love sushi and sashimi, though I haven't been adventurous enough to try any of it. There's a Japanese place near us that he really likes and I do too because I can get an absolutely gorgeous chicken teriyaki there. We also usually get sake and I like it, though it is very strong. Best to take it in small sips.

For Knights of the Old Republic I fanfic goodness, please visit Sweetie's Works of Fiction

We have a grill pan but it's just not the same and we can't grill red meat on it anyway because it smokes up the apartment and sets off the stupid smoke detector. :p

same problem here

I tend to remove the smoke detector from the room if I'm cooking something that I know will set it off. It can go back after the food is done.

I tend to remove the smoke detector from the room if I'm cooking something that I know will set it off. It can go back after the food is done.

The prob here is that the smoke alarm is incorporated right into the wiring--no batteries. There was a law passed I don't know how many years ago that requires this so it's not like the good ol' days where you could just take the battery out. As a general rule, I don't fiddle with wires. I prefer my food to be cooked and not myself. :thumbsup:

I'm happy to report that the taste testing I've done of my rigatoni with sausage and peppers is very satisfactory. Looks like this will be a nice, yummy dish.

The prob here is that the smoke alarm is incorporated right into the wiring--no batteries. There was a law passed I don't know how many years ago that requires this so it's not like the good ol' days where you could just take the battery out. As a general rule, I don't fiddle with wires. I prefer my food to be cooked and not myself. :p

I'm happy to report that the taste testing I've done of my rigatoni with sausage and peppers is very satisfactory. Looks like this will be a nice, yummy dish.

Oh. That would make it a little tricky to disable while cooking wouldn't it? :thumbsup:

Anyway, we seem to be having left over pork tenderloin for dinner tonight. Not quite sure what we are supposed to be having with it.

I just have to say that the pasta was delicious. We've made two recipes from the Everyday Pasta thus far and both got high marks. We borrowed the book from the library so we could try a few recipes and see if we liked them before deciding to buy the book. The book is firmly on my wish list now. Tomorrow we'll make stuffed shells with turkey which is another recipe from the book.

I am just finishing off the its of chicken I had from Wednesday.

Wednesday: picked up a bag of lemons, made fresh lemonade and roasted the chicken with the lemon skins and a little salt. Served gravy over couscous. Dashes of Oxford sauce.

Thursday: out all day. Drunk in evening. Terrible curry.

Friday: hungover. Doing taxes. Made soup instead. Soup incredible.

Saturday (today): thick wholemeal toast with pork pate and marmalade (insane but delicious). More soup. Still soup left over. Throwing it away now as I can't believe it is still going to be good to eat tomorrow.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Let's see...

On Monday I made stuffed shells. Had a panic attack when I realized that I didn't have the ricotta cheese that is an essential part of this recipe. Grabbed four-year-old and did frantic run through local market. I had already made the sauce for the dish so at least that was out of the way but it still took something like an hour to make the filling and stuff the shells. All told, I spent at least 1.5 hours making that meal but it was delicious. The shells were stuffed with said ricotta, ground turkey, and artichokes. This was another Everyday Pasta recipe. I am sooo going to buy that book at some point.

Yesterday we made real Belgian waffles, not those big ones that restaurants like to call Belgian. How do I know ours are real? Because my husband is a real Belgian and the recipe is his mother's. :) Belgian waffles can be eaten plain, they are so delicious. They are also a lot lighter and airier than American waffles and hubby is very exacting about how crisp they should be.

Edited by SweetiePea

Let's see...

On Monday I made stuffed shells. Had a panic attack when I realized that I didn't have the ricotta cheese that is an essential part of this recipe. Grabbed four-year-old and did frantic run through local market. I had already made the sauce for the dish so at least that was out of the way but it still took something like an hour to make the filling and stuff the shells. All told, I spent at least 1.5 hours making that meal but it was delicious. The shells were stuffed with said ricotta, ground turkey, and artichokes. This was another Everyday Pasta recipe. I am sooo going to buy that book at some point.

Yesterday we made real Belgian waffles, not those big ones that restaurants like to call Belgian. How do I know ours are real? Because my husband is a real Belgian and the recipe is his mother's. :lol: Belgian waffles can be eaten plain, they are so delicious. They are also a lot lighter and airier than American waffles and hubby is very exacting about how crisp they should be.

I hope you'll take this in a spirit of fun, but whenever I think of Belgians I think of Poirot.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this thread to make two comments:

1) Reheated homemade meatloaf sandwiches (on a toasted bun with a smear of dijon mustard and a nice thick slice of ripe tomato) are one of the greatest "leftover" foods ever.

2) Penzey's Bicentennial Rub makes a really really good roast chicken. I have an aunt who sends me a box of assorted spices from Penzey's every year for my birthday. This years' package included this rub. I brushed the bird with olive oil, rubbed it all over with the spice blend, stuffed the cavity with a fistful of fresh parsley and a lemon, and roasted it (first uncovered at a high temp to crisp the skin, then covered at a lower temp to cook it through). Instead of a roasting rack, I lined the bottom of the pan with old carrots, celery, and halved white onions. Best chicken I've ever made, and the pan juices were amazingly flavorful.

Still absolutely loving my new electric griddle. Mixed some minced turkey with rocket pesto from a jar, pressed the bugger flat and fifteen minutes later delicious burgers! How awesome is that? And it cleans in two or three wipes of a sponge.

Anyone know any good recipes for a slow cooker?

-Elwood Blues

Came home late from work last night... couldn't really be bothered to do much work in the kitchen (not that I know how to cook anyway), so I grabbed some plain focaccia and put in the oven, then poured some virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and raspberry vinegar in tiny bowls to go with it. All helped down with a generous serving of red wine. I just am lazy when it comes to food, having entrees for mains is almost as bad as an all dessert meal I suppose.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Came home late from work last night... couldn't really be bothered to do much work in the kitchen (not that I know how to cook anyway), so I grabbed some plain focaccia and put in the oven, then poured some virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and raspberry vinegar in tiny bowls to go with it. All helped down with a generous serving of red wine. I just am lazy when it comes to food, having entrees for mains is almost as bad as an all dessert meal I suppose.

'Fraid so. You should have had some veg for vitamins and minerals, and definitely some protein. Yours sounds delicious, but all carbs.

-Elwood Blues

You could make pulled pork sammiches walsh. Those are pretty delicious. Other than that, I absolutely despise crock pots. My hatred grows just thinking about them.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I have found a a French recipe for duck slow cooked in goose fat with thyme and lots of salt. This is cooked for hours, then for serving is fast cooked. I think this should work very well in my mix of gear.

-Elwood Blues

Hubby likes the basic beef stews I've tried, but I'm not into those - I don't like the boiled/canned like texture of meat in those kind of dishes.

I have several little books on slow-cooking, but the only thing I've made in the crock pot that I've liked is my jalapeno/meat/olive spaghetti sauce - definitely less hassle than doing it in a conventional pot.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm making pulled chicken for dinner tonight. I'm mulling over ideas for Barbeque Sauce now. I'm thinking somthing sweet. Sweet Baby Rays or perhaps Stubbs.

I need to learn how to make my own.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell