Who wants to live forever?

Walsingham

Living forever  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would living longer (1,000 years+) make us saints or a-holes?

• In time I would release myself from the transience of being and attachment to all worldly things, making being alive a bit pointless
    • Sooner or later I'd have tried everything BUT genocide
    • My goldfish attention span means that the experience would have no greater effect than standing in a bus queue for fifteen minutes
    • If old people find young people annoying, and the greater the difference the greater the annoyance, then living to 1,000 would be characterised by homicidal wars

Further interesting questio: do people get bored in heaven and start causing trouble?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Who cares about living forever?!?! We have the afterlife in heaven after that!!!!

...right?

Welcome to the Mu

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

You guys should read some books by Peter F Hamilton.

One of the best Sci Fi authors I have come across. His stuff is damn good.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I think if my lifespan was 1000+ years, and there was no interstellar space-travel, I'd die of boredom long before.

200-250 years would be nice, both for more time to "have some fun" and for the possible increased tech/culture innovation/stability, but after that I think you'd end up with diminishing returns.

But if there was interstellar space-travel, and one could own your own private spaceship to run around the galaxy in, I might change my mind. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Even then, how many lifeless rocks can you see before you get bored?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Seriously, visit Italy, France, Germany In 100 years it'll be different and the memory of your last trip will be vague enough it might as well be new.

Heck, even a movie doesn't change, but that doesn't mean we never watch it twice. Especially much later when the memory is no longer as clear. Or to catch something we missed before.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, techincally, living forever implies you won't age, because as we all know extreme aging leads to huge mental and physical problems (that usually lead to death). Not to mention I'm pretty sure you'd be decomposing after 1000+ years...

Not a pretty sight.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Seriously, visit Italy, France, Germany In 100 years it'll be different and the memory of your last trip will be vague enough it might as well be new.

Agreed. But that's why I'd need space-travel ... sitting around planet-side waiting for civilizations to rise/fall/change dramatically isn't my idea of fun. Plus with the right spaceship tech, it might lessen the effects of 900+ years of sun skin damage and gravity sag. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What the crap?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yeah, we get that but why would you do that of all things? Do something cool.

Or perfect your signature making.

Yeah, like you could do it.

And I don't need to. I did perfect it, and you have seen my sig that I made(Bleach sig)? Now if you don't drop it.... :rolleyes:

I'd like to see you do something with your main tutorial lost, not having touched the program for months, and... keep up with your social life.

geass-1.jpg

Part of Rise of the Sith TSL Mod

Let's keep signature discussions out of this thread, shall we?

It occurs to me the different professions one could try out for extended periods of time would be where the real fun lies. You could try and forge a career in music; write novels; stewardess; baker; webcomics; whatever. I'd love to try Architecture, for example, but I have such a dirth of talent in areas such as visual creativity and drawing it would take me years and years.

...Uwe Boll could learn to make movies...

But yeah, you got a point. I always wanted to learn how to cook. Living for a 1000 years, I might get around to it eventually :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If I could live for more than 1000 years I'd probably Hell Kitty's avatar grosses me out.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Did your article mention anything about life quality in general? Would we spend 500 years with the physique of 30-40 year olds or would it be like 920 years with the bodies of 80 year olds?

or would you actually end up with the body of a 920 year old?

taks

comrade taks... just because.